In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Metal Detecting for Fun???

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by shack, Apr 8, 2022.

1. shack

shack

Hello, Was wondering if anyone here was into Metal Detecting; for coins and rings. Was looking to buy a detector and a pinpoint locator. Finding there are so many out there and looking for something in the 600 dollar range/ Any thoughts or recommendations? Am I way off on money? Thanks for your input!

2. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

I'd love to get into it myself. There's a lot of buried history out there waiting to be found, especially in my area. I follow a couple guys on YouTube (Nuggetnoggin, Aquachigger)
    Here's an older associated thread:
    Metal detecting

3. Camber

Camber

I've been talking about getting into metal detecting for years. About gave up, because of the confusion in which detector is the best for me. I believe it was a garret I was looking at.

4. EODMSgt

EODMSgt

I wish I could remember what brand detector some friends used back when I was stationed in VA many years ago. They were big into the Civil War stuff, went out all the time, and both had great collections. Obviously they only went on private property as the national battlefields are off limits to metal detecting. I went out with them a few times and still have some of the bullets and an old late-1800's penny. A great place to find Civil War era items was around new construction sites as a lot of the dirt was already turned up for you. I think all of the items below I found around Fredericksburg. Up here, we have a lot of old logging towns that have been reclaimed by the forest and I would love to go to those sites with a metal detector. However, they are all in the national forest so bringing a detector in is forbidden. I should probably get that penny cleaned up and looked at professionally as a similar one sold at auction recently for over $12,000 (not expecting that but it would be neat to find out the value).

20220410_104406.jpg

Timberdog, metalcuttr, shack and 5 others like this.
  5. Camber

Camber

I had a friend that found a slave tag about twenty years ago. I guess they were sorta unique to the Charleston slave market. He ended up selling it for 50 grand to a rapper that wanted to wear it around. He went bonkers on Metal detecting equiptment, but never found anything near that value again as far as I know.

Timberdog, metalcuttr, shack and 3 others like this.
  6. Fanatical1

Fanatical1

I won a metal detector from work a year or so ago. Used it once and I’m not sure I’m going to keep it.

It’s like brand new and has the original box.

I would sell it if your interested.. I think it’s a decent one..? Bounty Hunter Pro model.

metalcuttr, Camber and Ron T like this.
  7. Ron T

Ron T

462 fund :whistle:

metalcuttr, Camber and Fanatical1 like this.
  8. Redfin

Redfin

9. Fanatical1

Fanatical1

yessss… everything…. is for the new saw fund.

metalcuttr, Ron T and Camber like this.
  10. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

Also handy to archers to find errant arrows…..

metalcuttr likes this.
  11. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

Get a Garret AT Pro and a Garret Carrot pin-pointer! Solid upper middle of the road performance and a great value. Can't go wrong there! Also waterproof to 10 ft.

12. Lennyzx11

Lennyzx11

I was into it for a while but getting on a plane all the time to go to a different project cut it down.

I really liked my White MXT. Not a lot of bells whistles, programs, complicated stuff to mess with. Just set it and go. I did get a couple more coils for pinpointing and wide fast searching.

Think I’ll dig it out of the shop corner in honor of this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

metalcuttr and MikeInMa like this.