In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Maple #2 down. Feel better already!

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Gasifier, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Gasifier

Gasifier

Now I don't have to worry about this falling on the power line.

A little tension from the truck and down it goes in the right direction. Guaranteed.

Attached Files:

Woodwidow, papadave, Chvymn99 and 7 others like this.
  2. Gasifier

Gasifier

Now one of the nice things about vacation. Break time! LOFL

I came down to the camp this morning to find the porch, steps, and sidewalk covered in big ice chunks and snow.:mad:

I had just cleaned all this off the other day! All of it slid off the roof of the camp. Good to have it off of there for the rest of the winter though. So I spent almost 45 minutes just cleaning the porch, steps, and walkway off. The rest will be moved by the Bobcat.

Anywho, I have some more wood to buck up and get up to the pile. I will also take down several dead White Pine that are still standing.

mdavlee and Backwoods Savage like this.
  3. My IS heats my home

My IS heats my home

It's not a huge tree but it will yield a truckload or so. Looks like it was a little sick inside??

mdavlee likes this.
  4. Gasifier

Gasifier

Yes! I think it was. Some of the branches in the middle, top were dead already. Who knows what was wrong with it. Glad it is down, and glad I've got more wood! :drool:

5. My IS heats my home

My IS heats my home

which saw did you use?

6. Gasifier

Gasifier

Stihl-MS290-Farm Boss with 18" bar.

papadave and My IS heats my home like this.
  7. Gasifier

Gasifier

Look at the crotch where the tree divided right in two. Now I'm no expert by I did not cut hardly any of this crotch. What these pictures tell me is there was not a lot holding the two main sections of this tree together. o_O

Attached Files:

8. charlie

charlie

Tree had co-dominate main stems, two main leads instead of one dominate lead... Usually on a small tree you remove one.. That's a weak spot of tree usually requiring cabling as the tree matures and the leads have more growth adding weight.. Depending on how the two leads are joined determines how strong they are... Included bark is bark that forms where they join but is growing inwards leaving what looks to be a crack and allowing water to enter causing rot and pathogens to enter like in your case... Occluded bark builds a strong attachment point looking like a small mountain of wood around the area the two leads join...thus growing outward.. These are the trees you usually see storm damaged.. I learned about these things in order to make a sound decision about climbing and tying my lifeline into one of these leads... Sometimes when when removing this type tree climbing, I would actually rope the two leads together half way up so I could work the tree down safely... Looks like the tree was getting heart rot.. A good tree to remove considering the weak attachment of the two leads,, what we called a hazard tree... You wouldn't want that tree around a back yard swing set or near a highway... You did yourself a favor taking it down in my eyes... Nice job for taking the time and setting a rope as to put things in your favor, especially around energized lines... Thanks for posting!:thumbs:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  9. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

Nice job Gasifier, it will make for some nice firewood.

Gasifier likes this.
  10. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

Wednesday they're calling for -26 degrees, Happy New Year. Get your best wood ready.

11. bogydave

bogydave

Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    Nice job ,
    more BTUs added to the stacks :)

Gasifier likes this.
  12. savemoney

savemoney

As said, you did yourself a good deed. That tree was an accident in waiting. You see them all the time. I have to wonder why people are so willing to take the risks of leaving them when it us so predictable that they are doomed.

Gasifier likes this.
  13. Gasifier

Gasifier

I had told my father I was taking the two maples down. That I had hated to do it because they gave such nice shade in the summer, but they were a hazard. He said, "Hey, you need to protect your investment, take them down if that is the best thing to do." That was just what I was thinking Dad. The first one came down a few days later. And then this one came down today. I was suppose to take it down weeks ago. But didn't. Then the ice storm came. :rolleyes: I was nervous that weekend. More pics to follow.

papadave likes this.
  14. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Good you got that one down Gas. I am a bit curious though why you cut at an angle? And the notch?

papadave likes this.
  15. Gasifier

Gasifier

My father had planted these trees many years ago. The family got many good years of shade out of them. And now the will help heat my home next year. Four and a half bucket loads for the pile!

Attached Files:

16. Gasifier

Gasifier

While moving the wood I met a young Robin Hood! Very cool, I thought. He's getting to be a good shot. And he's a handsome young fella. Must be of relation to me! :whistle:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  17. Gasifier

Gasifier

Sometimes I cut at an angle on the back side to sort of leave a back up or support in case the tree starts to lean the wrong way for some reason. This can give you another option if things start to go wrong, if you don't cut all the way through and the tree starts to lean back on you then it will hold the tree there, hopefully, till I figure out WTF I am going to do then. :zip:

A notch was cut on the side of the tree where I wanted it to fall. Then when cutting down at my angle toward my notch I was off a bit with my cut. :emb: Soooooo, I had to restart my cut at a better angle and by the time I was done it looked like I had cut another notch on the back side. :emb: Thanks for pointing out my poor cutting. :(

:rofl: :lol: Just kidding. But anywho! I got the job done and the tree is history. :rofl: :lol: And I always enjoy doing that type of work!

18. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Just for future reference Gas, you gain nothing by cutting on an angle and will always have better luck by cutting straight. If it does lean back, the wedges take care of that. If too much lean back and you still have a good amount holding the tree, you can always make a new notch above where you were cutting and cut the tree down as if that is they way you intended. After it is down, then cut off that bottom part you had originally started. Naturally if you are pulling it with the truck or something else, then for sure you notch it toward the truck and simply keep some tension on it while cutting the tree. Keep a close eye on the kerf. When you see it begin to open, time to motion the driver to increase the tension and get it down while you are getting your backside clear of it. If course that means a 45 degree angle away from the tree. Of course you have had this planned before you even made the notch. ;)

papadave and mdavlee like this.
  19. charlie

charlie

I agree with Dennis on your cut... It's very hard to judge how much hinge wood you have coming in at an angle.. Make your face cut and come in even with your bottom cut.. When your done you should see two flat cuts on the stump with hinge wood left towards the front cut..
    If you needed wedges on an angle cut, in my instead of opening that cut I believe it would exert a lot of pressure trying to push the tree off of the hinge wood , where's a flat cut would lift the back of the tree open..thus rocking the tree forward on the hinge wood... Video shows basics.. I come in even with the back cut...

Tang, Backwoods Savage and mdavlee like this.
  20. Gasifier

Gasifier

You are a more experienced and wise feller than I sensei Savage. Being a year, maybe two, older than I am. You have gained some valuable experience sensei sav. (If I may call you Sav, um, please :whistle:)

And I really appreciate any advice you can give this younger grasshopper. (Seriously)

Unfortunately I have no wedges.:eek: Yup, I have never owned one. o_O I also do not have a driver, and I hope you weren't referring to me being a Miss Daisy! :D A Ha Ha Ha Ha. Oh, wait. That was bad.:emb: sorry.

I will give a new approach a try though. Perhaps you could find a good felling video for me on YouTube Sensei. I do need to learn proper technique. I am mostly self taught with experience and a few times watching others I guess.

Don't be hesitant. I believe one of your other students, by the name of sensei boggy has pointed out a few of my defective cuts as well. :emb: I have not dropped any on my truck yet. Probably because I park my truck 125 feet away and most trees I cut are about 30-50 feet tall. LOL

I will be awaiting your direction master.:popcorn:

[​IMG]