In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Manual damper height

Discussion in 'Non-EPA Woodstoves and Fireplaces' started by Hoytman, Jan 5, 2020.

1. Hoytman

Hoytman

What height on your stove pipe do you guys like to put your mpd...your manual damper?

Some place them at the stove top. I’ve heard others like to place them 18” above the stove top.

I’m putting up new pipe for a different stove. This stove has a damper in the top. Not a by-pass, but a sliding damper...though I guess you could call it a by-pass, but it doesn’t actually shut anything off to divert air flow.

The addition of a manual damper is just a precautionary and may never be used. It’s more there for safety and in a high wind situation.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  2. moresnow

moresnow

When I used them it went in at 18". What stove are you installing? Lopi by chance?

3. Hoytman

Hoytman

No, but a Lopi has been in my top 5 should I end up buying a new wood stove.

In this particular stove a manual damper isn’t needed according to the manufacturer; Hitzer 354 wood/coal. It has a sliding damper in the top of the stove above the baffle.

I’m going to run it for a while without the mpd just so I can compare running with it later. Either way it will most always be open as I can control it with the sliding damper, plus it has a bi-metallic thermostat on the back that helps regulate how hot it will run...according to where I set it and how warm I want the room. In case of bi-metallic failure it will shut itself down. Theoretically, once it is set I shouldn’t have to move the dial again the rest of the season. We shall see.

The pre-epa wood stove I removed had a damper just at the outlet. Only problem was I’m the mpd was placed in a reducer ... 7” to 6” ... and even though the damper would be open smoke would roll into the room. Likely because of the stove outlet being reduced. I’ve got the stove ready for repairs and modifications and it will be returned to a 7” outlet stove.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  4. moresnow

moresnow

I now remember your stove search. I know zilch about that stove style. Let the operators manual guide you would be my suggestion. Let us know how she runs!