In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Mantel

Discussion in 'The Sawyer Room' started by farmer rob, Feb 14, 2020.

1. farmer rob

farmer rob

I have a cherry tree I cut down approx 14"Dia at big end.I am wondering if I had it cut for a fireplace mantel soon if I could use it to built the fireplace this fall?I am thinking as thick as I can get and leave the front edge rounded.Thoughts from all you Pros ?

Sandhillbilly, M2theB and JB Sawman like this.
  2. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

Most woods need about 1 year per inch thickness to air dry before you can get them kiln dried to use inside a heated house if you do not you usually get severe checking on the ends a lot of old houses used green wood for heavy beams but the can twist or split the other thing you could get is insect damage from insects in the wood if you are not to concerned about checking and surface splits cut it oversize from what you need let air dry as long as possible then take it to a kiln and at least have it heat treated to kill bugs than finish surfacing that way you will be able to remove some of the defects I hope this helps you out JB

Rush Battle, Sandhillbilly and M2theB like this.