In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday
  1. The Annual Tradition is Back!!!! It's time for the 10th Annual Firewood Hoarders Club Secret Santa Gift Exchange! Deadline is: Sign Up will be closed on Saturday November 5th at Midnight (central time) Official FHC 2022 Secret Santa Gift Exchange

Making the Right Stove decisions

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Old Nate, Jul 12, 2022.

1. Hoytman

Hoytman

Actually, I was mostly recalling that experience with the “summers heat”, but I also did recall and confused it with the Drolet. I remembered it not having the horsepower you wanted/needed. Thanks for the clarification.

By the way, just the other day on a forum a manufacturer’s rep actually said what you did…that “their stoves” and modern stoves in general typically do not have the HP of pre-epa stoves. Now he said that “in general” and not as a whole for modern stoves. Meaning some may heat nearly the same, but they are few. He even went as far as to say that “his stoves” would not throw nearly the amounts of heat like “xyz” plate stoves did, actually calling both stoves by name. That plat stove be a compared in the conversation. I also happen to think he was referring to a few of the better plate stoves in general. Not to hard to figure out which ones.

Cold Trigger Finger likes this.
  2. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Just FYI, ESW is now owned by SBI, parent company of Drolet...happened within the last year or so...IF that model still exists, I'm sure the QC issues have been dealt with.

Chvymn99 and Hoytman like this.
  3. chris

chris

wow that was a news flash to me that Englander is now part of SBI.

Chvymn99 likes this.
  4. Hoytman

Hoytman

Yeah I had forgotten about it.

5. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

Our woodstove is our most important appliance in our house
    We heat solely with wood for 8 months a year. And yet, I'm not a stove nut. No disrespect intended in anyway !
    Our current stove isn't really anything to write home about. It is warped from being overheated too many times. It barely keeps the house warm with an overnight load.
    But, it works. It's an old fashion barrel ish design . Not really big enough for this house. We had the stove and used it for several years before we moved and I built this house.
    I am hoping to get a Blaze King Princess . Even tho that stove is rated for more square feet of house than we have. I do not know what outside temps , woodstove ratings are created for.
    I am looking for Long burn times, plenty of heat, a flat top for cooking on and clean enough emissions the if the smoke nazis ever do arrive here we will be gtg.
    I am thinking to move the stove to a more central location in the house by about 14 feet and eliminating the chimney thru the roof.
    I HATE holes in my roof and did one to save $700. I will Not do that again !

theburtman and brenndatomu like this.
  6. chris

chris

Always can make small fire in big stove to not cook yourself out, pushing a small one never works out in the long run.

Chvymn99 and theburtman like this.
  7. SD Steve

SD Steve

Whoa, too rich for my blood.....

8. Old Nate

Old Nate

Yeah man I agree, but that’s what all these new ones cost now. Maybe Lowes sells cheaper ones, but they’re just that, cheap.

9. dennish

dennish

Drolet is probably one of the best quality lower cost stoves.

brenndatomu likes this.