In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

LOTS of Wind tonight in the PNW

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by B.Brown, Sep 7, 2020.

1. B.Brown

B.Brown

Boy, its blowing hard, they figured 50-60 mph winds, i believe it. Several lines down in our area, but, we still have power on our street. The smoke is so think you can see it in the street lights and the wind is full of junk from the fire on mt jefferson to the east. The wind is hard out of the east and just about the whole state has a high fire danger warning for the next 3 days, its dry to say the least.

2. bushpilot

bushpilot

Yup, wind and sirens all day, sound of the generator running tonight. They say it may be Wednesday or Thursday before we get power back.

T.Jeff Veal, Eckie, mat60 and 6 others like this.
  3. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill

Odd weather pattern for sure. You guy's stay safe out there.

T.Jeff Veal, Eckie, mat60 and 6 others like this.
  4. B.Brown

B.Brown

Its just 12:42 am and the winds still at it, LOT"s of smoke outside and you can hardly see the moon for the smoke. The wind is down to about 8 mph or so it feels. Lots of debris in the air besides smoke, probably dust , ashes, all the good stuff you Don't want to breath. Lots of leaves down, things blown about but not too many trees fell from what i can see around here. Although last night i did hear what sounded like a large tree that fell pretty close around our house, like on the next block. Guess we'll see when the sun comes up. Over east they had some pretty serious fires that threatened umatilla but they were able to get it beat down.

T.Jeff Veal, Eckie, mat60 and 5 others like this.
  5. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    At the lower end of Vancouver Island, it was really blowing all day yesterday. Up here we had clear skies and comparatively no wind for a sunny day. Rather warm as well. This morning, no fog and the expectations of a clear warm day.

T.Jeff Veal, mat60, wildwest and 6 others like this.
  6. bushpilot

bushpilot

A new day, drinking coffee, the generator is running, all is well.

The temperature hit 30 in the night, good thing that smart wife of mine went and harvested everything she could in the garden yesterday. Branches were occassionally falling around her, but no problems.

Today, I'll take a stroll around, and see what's down. We heard at least two trees come down, not sure it they are on our property or the neighbors.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
  7. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

The west really seems to be getting the worst weather lately. I hope it eases.

8. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

9. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

Just very breezy here. Very small branches and fir cones dropping all over. Driving the Wif nuts keeping the yard and deck spotless. Most of the real wind is up the west slope of the Cascades. Thanks for asking! Big problem now is fire (and wind) on the western plateau around the towns of Bonnie Lake, Enumclaw and Graham about 40 miles from here. Some evacuations and some houses lost. Truly an ordeal for some poor folks!

10. mat60

mat60

Thats plenty to worry about. Stay safe.

11. tamarack

tamarack

Very bad fire in the gates Oregon area, and from the news an FB it has spread to Mill City. From above posts it sounds like the situation for the Cascades mtns in Washington isnt any better.

12. B.Brown

B.Brown

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Cv image.jpeg View attachment 273534 Finally! You can see the stars right now, we're not out of the woods just yet. Not much if any dew out there,it's still a very dangerous situation out there. If you've been Praying for us, please don't stop! The west coast needs them bad! Thanks!, These pictures are to the South of our house.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
  13. B.Brown

B.Brown

I noticed yesterday lots of the trees around here have wind burned leaf's, which makes it even worse. 64 degrees out right now, with a slight breeze out of the east, supposed to hit in the 90's today, we don't need that! At 3:45 AM this morning

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
  14. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    Incredible pictures. what a colour. Stay safe down there.

15. B.Brown

B.Brown

Thank you, now there is absolutely NO wind and the smoke,has dropped into the valley we live in. They have warned us the air quality will continue to be this way into tomorrow. But, the good news is there's no wind, i was up for several hours this morning and it started to puff off and on around 5AM, but then just about totally stopped. I'm sure that's why this heavy smoke has dropped in on top of us. 92 degrees today. I don't even want to let the dog out for very long, so, he's under house arrest like the rest of us. We are very fortunate, several towns have been just about totally burned out.

16. Casper

Casper

Listened to Jackson Co_OR scanner this morning. Sounds like Medford, Phoenix and Talent along I-5 got hit hard with wildfires. Also, north.. Vida and Leaburg not in good shape.

17. B.Brown

B.Brown

Sorry for the double picture, not sure how that happened, if some one can erase one, i'd appreciate it.

18. Casper

Casper

Just hit your edit button and delete one of the sets of image brackets.
    Screenshot_20200909-120354_Chrome.jpg

19. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

Amazing pictures but can't like any of this B.Brown , Hope you all come out of this OK. Better the smoke than the fire! My heart goes out to folks who have lost all to the fires! Light dusting of ash is all we got here.

20. Eckie

Eckie

B.Brown, what distance are you from the fire that caused the dark pics to the South of you? Those look very ominous, hopefully just the way the sky, smoke and light are mixing. Your grass looks very dry. Is that ice melt on the sidewalk? Hopefully your town is Firewise, but not sure looking at the surroundings of the blue house... Stay safe!