In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Lopi Endeavor II

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Gavorosalini, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Gavorosalini

Gavorosalini

Hey guys we are close to getting our first wood stove and we have decided to go with a lopi endeavor II. Does any one have any experience with this stove? Also, any one use the green start option? Debating if its worth the cost. Thank you.

2. justdraftn

justdraftn

I ran an Endeavor free standing for 14yrs.
    Outstanding stove.
    I run a Lopi Revere insert now.
    Outstanding stove.
    Once you get the hang of taking them apart to clean,
    it's cake.
    I would think greenstart takes a lot of the fun out of pyro element of a wood stove....
    but that's just me.

I'm also pretty chea.......less expensive.

bear 1998, Gavorosalini and Thor like this.
  3. webby3650

webby3650

The green start is kind of neat to show your buddies. After that I can’t see using it much for a full time burner. It’s really loud too, it’s pretty annoying to me.
    This is a brand new stove, you will probably be one of the first to report on its performance. It should burn the same as the original Endeavor, bigger glass and an Ashpan should make it really nice!

bear 1998 and Gavorosalini like this.
  4. Gavorosalini

Gavorosalini

Thank you for the response. Im hoping that the green start may help my wife (whos against the stove due to loss of floor space) start a fire when im not home yet or on her days off.

bear 1998 likes this.
  5. webby3650

webby3650

Gel fire starters and kindlin are pretty easy. I do think the green start would be good in this instance.

bear 1998 and Gavorosalini like this.
  6. Biddleman

Biddleman

My wife was against our woodstove for many reasons. She has completely changed her opinion. She loves it. Acually told me to start the first fire this year. I was holding out.

We have a lopi rockport. Took me a little while to get hang of it. Only our second year with it and to be honest still learning. Can't compare it to anything else because its my first stove. No complaints. It's keeping our old, drafty stone home toasty warm. Don't have the fire starter, was NOT recommended. But if helps to get wife on board, be more than worth it. Looking forward to your report.

webby3650 likes this.
  7. webby3650

webby3650

I really like the Rockport. I wish they would have used the same design for its big brother the cap cod. It isn’t as durable.

Hoytman likes this.
  8. Hoytman

Hoytman

Explain durability in comparison please. I’ve considered both compared to BK and Kuma, Endeavor/Liberty...all my top choices throwing in Drolet and NC-30 for good measure.
    Lopi’s have been high on my radar. Had a fireman tell me every chimney fire call he’s been on, he’s a stove salesman as well, has been Lopi stoves. He does not sell Lopi though so I took that with a grain of salt.

9. Biddleman

Biddleman

I would think the way someone burns, ie, unseasoned wood, smoldering fires all season long would have more of a bearing on chimney fires than stove manufacturer. But I could be way off. :)

As for reliability compared to others I cant say. I have read Lopi customer service sucks. I have dealt directly with the dealer and they are stand up people.

Only advice I can give as many on the forum have said, well seasoned wood is the key to cat stoves. Well seasoned, well seasoned, well seasoned.

Hoytman likes this.
  10. Hoytman

Hoytman

Agreed! Was interested in the comparison between the cape cod and rock port as far as durability. First person and report of any kind I’ve heard of. Would be good info to know.

11. Gavorosalini

Gavorosalini

20191206_203909.jpg Well y'all, got the stove put in today. Working on my 2nd burn in step. Will do the 3rd tomorrow morning. Hope everyone is doing well and I will put a few more updates as time progresses. Lopi endeavor II with the green start and 400 cfm fan.

OhioStihl, Marvin, TBONE and 2 others like this.
  12. Hoytman

Hoytman

Does that stove have a bi-metallic thermostat on it?

13. webby3650

webby3650

Absolutely, Lopi stoves have nothing to do with flue fires, that guys crazy. I clean dozens of them and rarely ever get anything but dust from the flue. They are solid stoves. The cape Cod was a cast stove whereas the Rockport is a steel body with a cast iron jacket as well as a better designed baffle. I was burning one of the first cape cod stoves, it had problems with the baffle warping, and the andirons bent and looked stupid. That was before the back of the stove cracked.. I sent it back and bought a Blaze King Ashford. I actually sent it back to
    Travis Ind. on a BK skid! Ha!

Stinny and TBONE like this.
  14. Stinny

Stinny

We love our Lopi Liberty... :fire:

BuckthornBonnie likes this.
  15. blacktail

blacktail

I would bet money that Lopi stoves are involved in more chimney fires around here than any other brand...

because it seems like everyone has one. Hell, out of 6 houses in my neighborhood, 5 of us have stoves/inserts and they're all Lopi or Avalon.
    The only free standing stove in my neighborhood is an Endeavor and it's a great stove.
    My parents have an Avalon and a friend of mine a Lopi. Being 40 minutes from the factory, most dealers seem to have Travis products.

Stinny likes this.
  16. webby3650

webby3650

I know what you are saying, But it’s sure not the stoves fault if they are having flue fires.

blacktail and Stinny like this.
  17. Stinny

Stinny

x10

18. Hoytman

Hoytman

In black tails case where he lives...
    Could just be an issue of statistics...more people have Lopi’s near him.

According to insurance statistics Labrador Retrievers bite more people in the U.S. than any other breed, but they are not on the insurance naughty list for bites. The number of bites adds up to the popularity of the dogs.

Perhaps, in the PNW there are way more Lopi and Avalon stoves. Makes sense statistic wise in black tails case.

I can’t figure out why a fireman/salesman would say that to me, let alone even know about a particular name stove and home fires. This guy just didn’t seem that informed...he’s barely 20ish years old and it seemed more like a bash since they don’t sell Lopi’s. Like I said, I took what he said with a grain of salt.

Without having more information, and I’d like to see it if it’s out there, I tend to agree with webby that it’s not the stoves fault for flue fires.

19. blacktail

blacktail

100% agreed

20. Gavorosalini

Gavorosalini

Im not real sure if it does or not. Seems to come on about 20 to 30 minutes after starting the fire and actually had to manually shut it off after stove was cool. Seems odd to me.