In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Looking for Splitter Advice

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by JeffInNH, Oct 11, 2021.

1. JeffInNH

JeffInNH

Looking to get a log splitter, but very torn on the price/utility.

I do 3 cord or so a year typically.

Champion has a 34 ton that's h/v and well liked. For the heavy stuff rolling on to the "foot" seems reasonable.

But... I really like the idea of the Wolf Ridge Pro 28. The lift and working at height seems amazing, plus the outfeed table.

But there's a $4500 price difference between the two.

Do folks think that a hydraulic lift is really worth the price delta unless you are doing huge volumes?

2. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

I have a County Line which I believe is comparable to the Champion brand. I process about 4 cord a year at my place, and loan it to my uncle who does about the same on his property. For a homeowner's splitter priced as such, it does what I need it to do. Getting large rounds up on the foot when splitting vertically can be a struggle but it's doable. You can always sledge/wedge them first to make them more manageable too. I think you'll be fine with the Champion. The Wolf Ridge does look like a nice machine though.

3. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Jeff,
    Do you have the ability to break down rounds to liftable weights? That could save a bunch of money not needing the lift. If you have the saw power, you could noodle rounds. I have a 34T and it gets used for approximately 10-12 cords per year. I think it's overkill unless you are processing lots of crotch/limb filled trees. I've had my fair share of apple from orchards and if you are in a similar situation, the extra tonnage is helpful. If you are splitting lots of straight grained logs, a smaller splitter is just fine. Depends a lot on the wood you will be getting.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
  4. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

I’m happy with my cub cadet 25 ton. Probable 50 cords through it so far.. I generally make my purchases based on having a Honda engine on the product.. I find them to lead to less of a headache. I paid $1300 for mine and don’t think I could justify a higher price given what I split.. one consideration, when I split is how the wood will be stacked.. I don’t think a multi-edged wedge on a splitter would work for me as it would not allow me to easily make the rectangle splits that I use for cribbing the ends of my wood stacks.. I believe the model splitter I bought is no longer available..

5. Geoff C

Geoff C

I couldn’t justify that price jump for just doing 3 cords a year. Can do a cord in about a full day. So 3 days work a year.

If you have intentions of getting log loads and selling wood that’s a different story.

6. Jeremy Anthon

Jeremy Anthon

I have the champion 27ton. Also looked at the wolf ridge before purchasing but couldn't justify the costs for it. You can noodle or wedge them smaller so you can lift them and if can't do that then you can always roll the champion splitter up to the round and then flip it vertical and split the round sitting on the ground.

7. LordOfTheFlies

LordOfTheFlies

I have the Champion. Love it. 34-ton. Zero problems. Plus I got it for $799 so that makes it even more value. If you are selling and need the log lift then WolfRidge might be the one for you. I like the workout of lifting my logs up there. I've brought up some big boys. Plus it turns vertical but I almost never use it that way.

8. moresnow

moresnow

No way could I justify that difference for that small amount of splitting. I split roughly the same yearly with a 22 ton box store unit that splits horiz or vert that's around 5 years old now. Zero issues. I paid under a grand new. Hard to beat in my opinion.

9. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

I'm splitting 5 cords a year with a 27T box store splitter (Black Diamond from Rural King). It does everything I ask and average about a face cord an hour. I can't see spending the extra cash unless you just want a really cool toy, and Wolf Ridge definitely makes nice ones!

10. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

We hear with wood, plus sell a good bit, at least 8 cords so far. We have 2 splitters, an older 25 ton Yard Machine, that is only used vertically on very large rounds and we got a 30 ton County Line in 2018...it is our main splitter now, 3x faster than the older one. I think we paid $1500 for it.
    Here are a couple ways we have made the process easier.
    For smaller rounds, up to about 28-30" dia, we use the horizontal position/new splitter. Made ramps w/braces, no lifting 0920211536.jpg
    The big rounds here are 28" 0925211205_HDR.jpg
    Anything much bigger gets the vertical splitter. My wife spitting a 30"+ red oak
    0421201004_HDR.jpg
    To solve the problem about getting rounds of the splitter foot, we had a platform made from 2" angle iron and 1 1/2" pipe. 0720202018.jpg
    The bottom of the platform 0607201155.jpg
    Roll a big round up to the platform, flip it over and slide it to the splitter.
    Sometimes we put the 2 splitters close together, if we have a lot of big rounds to process. Break them down with the vertical and finish processing with the faster splitter. 0421201224_HDR.jpg

metalcuttr, Ron T, SimonHS and 13 others like this.
  11. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

I think you will do fine with the Champion. Maybe adapt some of the above ideas to your needs.

12. LordOfTheFlies

LordOfTheFlies

That's a nice operation right there!!

And the 34-ton champion has split absolutely anything I put through it. Had a hydraulic line leak - they replaced it. I really like their engines.....start easy, run strong, and knock on wood no issues yet. The Champion wood chipper works great too.

13. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Thanks, we have been slowly improving over the years...:handshake:

14. mat60

mat60

It sure is a great setup and a nice trailer.

15. Horkn

Horkn

There's other options between the champion and the Wolfe Ridge.

If you are processing a good amount at one time, having a log lift is a massive improvement. I used a nice commercial splitter with a log lift on it at Backwoods Savage GTG this past May, and I wouldn't want to go back to no in log lift, but I will unfortunately having to do this until I can get a log lift added or a splitter with a lift. Operating at waist height, no bending over to do the work is another massive improvement.

walt has a couple h/v splitters that were converted to waist height log lift equipped and these really have my attention. Especially since we happen to have a small but decent unused free 4x6 trailer that isn't much use for a of other things, and I'll be getting my dad's 21 or so ton HV mtd splitter in a couple weekends

16. walt

walt

Mr Horkn if you werent so far away I would help you do that splitter conversation.

17. Horkn

Horkn

You are too kind:yes:

I think I see what you did with it. I looked at the pics from the gtg, and it appears you "just" took the beam and cylinder etc and used u bolts to get the pivot point of the splitter onto the trailer, built a deck at waist height then mounted the reservoir/ axle on the trailer, alongside the beam. Tires taken off the original splitter, and other necessary mods to the trailer. Looks like the splitter could be returned to how it was purchased if necessary. It also looks like the splitter can be rotated back to the vertical stance for storage/ hauling. My biggest questions have to do with the log lift.

We've got access to a log mill, so the wood to convert the trailer would be easy, and my buddy works at a machine shop that does hydraulic work, and I've got a mig welder, so any fabbing for the lift should be no issue.:cool:

metalcuttr, T.Jeff Veal, walt and 6 others like this.
  18. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

For 3 cord per year, I too would recommend the smaller splitter. I sell firewood & use two similar splitters to make the smaller campfire wood splits. These are very similar in size to what most wood stoves like. These machines are 22 ton Iron & Oak H/V and a Yardworks 25ton H/V. For the big stuff, boiler wood etc. I have a 37 ton Rugged Made with a log lift & a 4way wedge. The small machines are far faster cycle times & work great for anything under 18" diameter. Save a pile of money & build a ramp & table setup like T.Jeff Veal , your back will thank you & so will your wallet.

19. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

If you do all the splitting by yourself, forget splitting 400# rounds by yourself on a horizontal splitter. There's no way you can handle 2 200# halves.

20. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

You'll see what i mean in this video. This guy is struggling to control the big rounds.
    If you have 2 or 3 people you can handle the big ones. And it's still a struggle.