In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Looking for recommendations

Discussion in 'Non-EPA Woodstoves and Fireplaces' started by MarkG, Sep 30, 2019.

1. MarkG

MarkG

20190930_173857.jpg I'm looking to clean the glass piece on the front of the woodstove or replace it. When I bought my house, one of the perks was the woodstove, but unfortunately the previous owners let the stove's glass get in poor shape. I'd say it was neglected maintenance-wise and they burned very wet wood for about 5 years.

I've tried to burn it off by bringing the fire close to the glass. I've also tried spraying it with Easy-off, let it sit for a few minutes, and rinse it with water.

This stuff doesn't seem to want to budge. Anyone have any tips or recommendations?

Attached Files:

2. papadave

papadave

Rutland's stove glass cleaner, or the tried and true wet rag dipped in wood ash.

MarkG, T.Jeff Veal, bear 1998 and 3 others like this.
  3. TMACK

TMACK

Razor blade scraper. New one will cut it right off. Follow up with some stove glass cleaner.

MarkG, T.Jeff Veal, Eric VW and 5 others like this.
  4. Chaz

Chaz

Never tried these methods, but my glass hasn't been that neglected.

TMACK likely has your best solution.

I'm sure you'll get it squared away before it gets to fire time.
    :fire:

MarkG, T.Jeff Veal, papadave and 3 others like this.
  5. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

All of the above mentioned methods are worth trying...but that window looks pretty roached...I bet even if you can get it where you can see through it, it will still look "frosted".
    If you decide to replace, try your local glass shop...if they carry pyroceram "glass" they can custom cut a piece for you...

MarkG, T.Jeff Veal, Slocum and 4 others like this.
  6. wood and coal burner

wood and coal burner

What kind of stove is it? I have a Vermont Castings Vigilant II which is meant to burn coal but it also succeeds at burning wood very well. Regardless how black and dirty the glass gets if I burn coal in it for 2 or 3 days the glass cleans right up. But you cannot put coal in a stove not designed for it. Coal burns at 3000 degrees and creosote cannot compare to that and it will melt cast iron, plate steel turns into a puddle. Try a few hot fires just do not over fire the stove nor over fire your chimney. If all else fails then buy a new piece but always keep the old just in case the clean one breaks, dirty glass is better than no glass.

ps: I am not suggesting to anyone to overfire a stove nor to burn fuel in it that the stove was not designed for.

MarkG, Eric VW and brenndatomu like this.
  7. Timberdog

Timberdog

Steel wool and cleaner.

MarkG, brenndatomu and Eric VW like this.