In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Looking for a small woodstove for heat and cooking

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by grandgourmand, Oct 7, 2019.

1. grandgourmand

grandgourmand

Hi all,

I'm finally in the market for a woodstove. We are building a small home on our property and I want to go off grid as much as possible. And the woodstove is a big part of that plan (I also like to burn wood...why else would I be here?)

The space I'm looking to heat will be around 1000-1200 square feet. Two stories, but most likely a loft on the second floor that is open to the main floor.

I don't know anything about woodstoves, but what I am after is:
    1) Sleek design...like pretty plain and simple looking
    2) On the smaller side...but would like to fit at least 16' splits
    3) For cooking..some heating plates on the top, and maybe a warming compartment/oven
    4) Cast iron
    5) Made in Canada...though I'd go made in U.S.
    6) Budget...about $1500 (that's USD). I don't plan on having an oven. Maybe a hot plate and a toaster oven if the stove isn't convenient

I've done some preliminary research and came across a few brands, but don't know which ones are known for better build, warranty, service, reputation etc.

Thanks in advance.

2. RGrant

RGrant

Not knowing anything about wood stoves- this is a pretty good place to start.
    The resources tab is a pretty good place to start. Specifically this read by a member, Dennis. Beyond that, some of the options are personal preference and others are what fits your constraints. There is a branch of the Englander stoves called "Timber Ridge" sold in Canadian Tire stores that seem to get good reviews by the folks here, but I think they're steel, not cast iron.
    The wood cookstoves that I've seen in person and online are wildly expensive, but if you were looking to use the surface to cook on, that might be a different story, I think a warming compartment might be pretty tricky to come by.
    Good luck, and I've found people here to be incredibly helpful- so while I might not have helped much, I'm sure some other folks will chime in and give their best efforts.

3. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

My first guess is cast iron may be a long shot in the price range mentioned.

4. blacktail

blacktail

If you want cast iron for the looks, then I get it. There are some stoves with a cast iron jacket on the outside too.
    If you want cast iron because of a perceived superior durability, then think again. (You said you don't know anything about stoves).

5. grandgourmand

grandgourmand

Thanks for feedback

I might dial back my expectations/needs.

Should educate myself on steel stoves too. Opens up more options

If it helps, this won’t be a daily user. A couple weekends a month in fall/winter.

As far as cooking goes...a heating compartment is not necessary. Looking more for something i can use to boil water, cook a pot of chili and do some grilling in the firebox over a bed of coals.

If anyone can suggest a few reliable brands, then i can check their websites. Looking at that Timberridge now. Is Drolet any good?

Chaz and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  6. NBNH

NBNH

I have the Drolet Columbia made in Canada, says it's rated from 850 to 1600sf. Not cast iron as it's carbon steel but can fit up to 20 inch splits and was less than $1000. I would say it's a small/medium sized stove with a 1.9cf firebox. No warming compartments but there's room on top of the stove, 25 inches by about 8 inches(at the 6 inch flue outlet so certainly more than 8in to the left of right) for pots and pans for cooking.

7. RGrant

RGrant

Is this for a hunting camp or something like that? Not that it ultimately matters- but I'm trying to get a better picture as to what you're aiming for.
    The thing that I keep thinking of is --> the need for dry wood in whatever stove you use will mean you'll either need to buy it and store it or cut it and split it and have a good supply ahead of time. I wish I had started getting my wood supply sorted out much before I did.

8. grandgourmand

grandgourmand

Rgrant,

Not a hunting camp. We have a property and want to build a dream home on it, but not for ten years or so

In the meantime, building a 40x60 polebarn workshop with a small attached ‘apartment’. Something we can use for a few days at a time to enjoy the property.

As far as wood goes, lots of oak on the property. But i’ll need to buy some firewood first couple of years while green stuff seasons.

9. RGrant

RGrant

Seems to me like you know an awful lot more about woodstoves than most! Getting the wood dry is mantra around here- and now understanding what it is that your goals are I think the suggestion I would make is to get a stove that has a solid reputation, but that is "uncomplicated" to run. The NC-30 by englander (and the same folks make the timber ridge stuff) might fit that bill- my rationale for suggesting it is the catalyst stoves, one of which I have, need dry wood, so if you're not sure if the wood is adequately dry enough you might not be getting the performance you'd be otherwise get. And if this is going to be a work in progress, 10 years would be totally enough time to think about the stove you ultimately want and what functions you'd like it to serve. Besides, in 10 years, who knows what the world will look like and what stoves will be available. They might have some really incredible stoves available by then.

Chaz, Chazsbetterhalf and NortheastAl like this.
  10. grandgourmand

grandgourmand

Just to clarify the wood stove is needed next year. There will be a living space attached to workshop. I need that heated.

11. jo191145

jo191145

So it’s occasionally use and somewhat temporary (10 yrs) ?
    Have you considered a refurbished antique? Would have all the cooking options and be within budget. Just need to find a small one.
    There’s a few shops scattered around that are in the business of refurb and resale.

12. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

I'd look for some used stoves local, and see if you can find an old wood fired oven for cooking as well.

13. grandgourmand

grandgourmand

Yes, occasional as in we'll be at the place for Thanksgiving and Christmas. And probably a few other weekends scattered around the fall & winter. 2-4 days at a time, I expect.

I'll take a look at some refurbished options. Could get some cool looking stoves.

Chaz, jo191145 and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  14. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

Since you have property, do you have any ash? If so, start getting some css as they would be dry by next year.

Chaz, jo191145 and RGrant like this.
  15. grandgourmand

grandgourmand

Not much. In the hardwoods, mostly cherry, red oak, & black locust. There is a fair bit of ash, but on a steep ridge, so sort of tough to access. I'll be picking up a tractor next year, so will be able to clear up logs that fall over.

I won't be burning more than a cord, I don't think. So will buy what I need for the first year or two. Firewood isn't too expensive near my place.

16. Thor

Thor

[​IMG]
    ENERZONE 1.3 around 1,200. Made in Canada. I have a 2.3 it's a decent stove. I get nowhere near the 12 hour burns some folks do with the cat stoves.

17. grandgourmand

grandgourmand

Wow...I looked at their lineup. Some pretty sleek stoves in there.
    For the record, I should say Made in USA is fine by me. It's really avoiding made in China.

RabbleRouser, Thor, billb3 and 2 others like this.
  18. billb3

billb3