In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

For Sale LogOX 3-in-1 Forestry Tool

Discussion in 'FHC Classifieds' started by Jon_E, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Jon_E

Jon_E

As much as I want to like this thing, as much as everyone else says they are great and ergonomic and useful and etc. etc. I just cannot see myself using it at all. I had my father and my teenage son both try it and neither one liked it. Another failed attempt to try the next best thing.

So - bought on Amazon a couple of months ago, used for maybe an hour total time. I paid $189. I would like to get back $150 but make me a reasonable offer, I am hoping that one of you FHC members has been wanting one and here's your chance to get it for a good price. You can even have the sticker and the little can koozie that came with it.

Camber, Chazsbetterhalf, Chaz and 5 others like this.
  2. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Well this sucks to read. I was intrigued with the video's but never had the spare coin to try one. GLWS.

3. Lennyzx11

Lennyzx11

Sent you a PM with offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. BigBlueLogOX

BigBlueLogOX

I was interested and somewhat disappointed to read your post. Out of curiosity, what was is that you originally bought the LogOX to do and how did it fall short of your expectations?

Chazsbetterhalf, Chaz, ole and 5 others like this.
  5. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

6. Jon_E

Jon_E

The primary way I collect firewood is to cut rounds in the woods, load them on my tractor bucket or trailer, and bring them back to my processing area near my wood shed, for splitting and stacking. I felt that I needed all three functions that the LogOX claims to have. I found that the LogOX is more like a Swiss Army knife. It's a jack-of-all-trades and master of none. The function is there, but it is limited. When I went to buck and roll logs in the woods, the timberjack is somewhat unstable and the cant hook really wouldn't roll anything very big. When picking up rounds, I thought that the unit was too heavy for the capacity, and that it required both hands to operate effectively - the point of the cant hook wouldn't always let go and I'd wind up tossing the log in a direction I didn't want it to go. I also found it nearly worthless around my log splitter, as the logs I needed help with lifting are just too big for the LogOx to handle. I don't need it to help with split wood, as it goes straight from the splitter table to the stacks.

I have used everything out there in 30+ years of processing firewood - log tongs, pickaroons, the funny things that look like garden hoses with hooks on the ends, full-size cant hooks and peaveys, and just plain gloved hands. The one thing we always come back to are the classic pulp hooks for handling splits and rounds, and full-size cant hooks for rolling larger logs. I am sorry, but the tool just did not meet my expectations. I know there are a lot of very positive reviews out there, and I bought it based on several of those reviews. I will say that the tool is well made, stout and heavy and I am sure it will last a lifetime. I just don't like it.

7. BigBlueLogOX

BigBlueLogOX

Hi Jon_E , thanks for the reply.

We have over 600 customer reviews for the LogOX on our website, Amazon, and other online retailers like the Home Depot, Power Equipment Direct, and Lowe's, which average about 4.8 stars across the board, so I was a bit puzzled when I saw the ad along with your comments. I see from you signature block that you're working in southwestern Vermont as well, which funny enough, is where we designed and use the LogOX extensively (in Arlington), so presumably we work with similar tree species and sizes in our respective woodlots. We designed the LogOX Hauler specifically to replace the old pulp hook we were primarily using for years to move log rounds and load a log splitter, which it has since done exceptionally well for us and thousands of our customers since we launched in 2016. In fact, it was proven in a Fairfield University ergonomic impact study, which was published in an engineering academic journal last year, to reduce back strain by up to 93% and bicep strain by 76% compared to lifting log rounds by hand. It's also recognized by the Perdue University based non-profit organization, the National AgrAbility Project, as a tool to assist people with "back, strength, and endurance" physical limitation issues who are processing firewood, and is now listed on their Assistive Technology Database.

Far from being a "jack of all trades master of none," the LogOX cant hook has the sharpest hook and most aggressive beveled toe of any similar tool on the market, which provides the surest grip on a log you can find when rolling them. Depending on the terrain and length of the log section, I can roll up to about a 32" diameter log fairly easily with it. For anything much larger than that, we'd recommend using a longer handled cant hook that will inherently provide more leverage. Most of the stuff we cut up for firewood here are windfall trees somewhere between 14-28" diameter, which it works perfectly for rolling. For anything under 12" in diameter, I'll use the timberjack to help quickly buck up, which I've never had an issue using either.

While I certainly respect your opinion and can appreciate that everyone has different tool preferences, work requirements, and abilities, I'd hate for you to have had a suboptimal experience using our tools, potentially due to an operational technique issue. Below is a video we shot that shows the best ways we've found to get the most out of using your LogOX. I hope you took advantage of the Firewood Hoarders Club $15 discount code on either a 3-in-1 or Forester Package (FHC) on our website and ordered it there. If you did, you may remember that we provide a lifetime warranty on the LogOX and a 30-day 100% money back satisfaction guarantee. I assume 30 days has elapsed since your purchase, however, if you watch the video below, give the LogOX another shot using the techniques it shows, and still want to return it (assuming you haven't already sold it) just shoot me a message at [email protected] with your name and order number, and I'll personally ensure that you can ship it back to us for a full refund.
    Sound fair?

8. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Sounds like excellent customer service to me. :yes:

9. Ward Hoarder

Ward Hoarder

X2

Barcroftb, Husky Man, Eric VW and 7 others like this.
  10. Chaz

Chaz

X3 ^^^

Not everyone will feel the same way about a product.

But not many companies go out of their way to ensure a happy customer, or "ex-customer"

:yes:

Barcroftb, Husky Man, MikeyB and 6 others like this.
  11. unclefess

unclefess Guest

that is an outstanding offer ,customer service at it's best :thumbs:

12. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

That does not happen to often:thumbs:

13. Loon

Loon

Good on ya for helping Jon out Austin.:salute:
    Just dont let Backwoods Savage watch after the 10.30 mark with the splitter in that position.:hair: :coldone:

14. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

In time he no doubt will learn how much easier it is.

15. BigBlueLogOX

BigBlueLogOX

Thanks Loon, I just want to make sure folks are getting the most out of using our tools and help where I can.

To your second point on splitter positions, as I demonstrate in the video, when using a LogOX Hauler, there's an ideal time for using your log splitter in both configurations, assuming you don't simply have a hydraulic arm and your splitter can make the switch, which some don't. Most of what we harvest for firewood are wind fall trees not far from the main logging trail that spans much of our property in VT. With our tractor we can bring our 28-Ton Swisher Timber Brute log splitter and trailer down the trail and in close to the downed tree. So depending on the terrain, I'll typically divvy up a tree into two categories based on diameters, i.e. larger logs I need to drag to the vertical splitter and smaller logs I want to lift onto the horizontal splitter. Given that trees taper, it's pretty easy to quickly divide and lump these piles together. I'll then add the cant handle extension/timberjack to the LogOX Hauler to make positioning the log easier, and go to work with my chainsaw. After it's all bucked up, and I've roughly consolidated the rounds into those two piles, I'll pull the splitter/trailer in close to the first pile. I'll split all of it first, tossing the firewood directly into the trailer, before moving on to the next pile and changing splitter configurations (usually from vertical to horizontal). I've found this helps speed up my workflow significantly, because I'm not changing my setup midstream or having to continually select the right size log out of one big pile. With the LogOX Hauler, it's a lot easier than before to drag the larger logs into place and set them upright on the vertical splitter, then holster it, and split. From there, we'll unload the trailer directly onto the wood stack by our porch. I know some folks like to stage a bunch of rounds in a woodlot prior to splitting or consolidate logs there to load onto a processor, which may make the most sense with their setup/needs, but what I just described is what we've found to be the most efficient method for our own setup and purposes.

In my opinion, (I take it Backwoods Savage might disagree) the main downside of using the vertical splitter for everything, is that after a while if feels like you're hunched over working under a sink, especially if you're working alone, and continually have to get up to bring more rounds over to your stoop and then reach over for them. This becomes maddening when splitting a bunch of smaller rounds that would be easier to just pick up and split on a horizontal splitter. The previous problem we had with this was that since roughly 60% of your body's mass is located from the waist up, continually bending over to pick up even these lighter rounds wasted energy, caused painful back strain, and made the whole process inefficient. We solved that problem with the invention of the LogOX Hauler, which as I mentioned, the Fairfield University study shows reduces that back strain when lifting and moving rounds by up to 93% with its unique design, by reducing the need to bend over, while still being able to lift as large a log as you can normally, unlike timber tongs for instance.

Overall I'd say what's most important when considering how to set up your firewood splitting process, is to create a system that consistently minimizes unnecessary strain on your body/wasted energy, optimizes the speed of your workflow without sacrificing safety, and is ultimately something you'll enjoy working with.

Barcroftb, Chaz and Backwoods Savage like this.
  16. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Sad, but I can tell you BigBlueLogOX have not done much splitting in vertical mode or else you are doing something wrong. In addition, you no doubt are younger and perhaps better off physically. I remember when I was that way and therefore you just did things and no thought about the body and what you were doing to it.

. This quote shows how you think and if you think it is like working under a sink, you definitely are doing something wrong.

and this quote definitely shows you are not understanding the best way to work.

You are correct about the body mass and the continually bending over to pick up logs. However, do you not also have to pick them up anyway; just not have to bend so much to do so. In addition, you apparently see a difference in picking up "small" logs vs "large logs." So, why would you even want to be lifting "large logs?" Would it not be easier to simply roll them to the splitter rather than lift them and therefore save the back?

I am not trying to be difficult with this idea. Not at all. I am simply stating that splitting vertically is much easier on the body than splitting horizontally. I expect that most people will find this out as they age or the body parts begin hurting a lot. For example, try to imagine what it is like for someone with a terrible back problem. He does not like bending nor can he do much lifting. Therefore he has to find the easiest way to get the task done. And that is not horizontally.

I also freely admit that one can get hydraulic lifters to get the logs up onto the splitter. However, that also takes extra funds to get that done and many do not have this option and even if they do they may not wish too. Sort of like the fact that it is much more comfortable riding in a high expensive car vs an old truck. One could do the first option but still would choose the second one.

One more thing I have never brought up but perhaps this is a good time to do so. If a person does not care how the wood is split, no problem using horizontal. However, if he wants certain shapes and is picky on sizes of those shapes, he has a much better visual option doing the splitting vertically. That is, he can see exactly where the wedge is going in so he can better judge where the split needs to be. Also, try splitting kindling wood where you want small sticks. It is much better vertically because you can see it better.

One more big point for me. I have a problem standing to work. That just about kills my back the same as lifting. Also standing takes more energy than sitting. Therefore it makes sense that one would tire quicker standing and splitting horizontally vs sitting and splitting vertically.

One other point that is to be made is that I have noticed that most times when people split horizontally, there are 2 people involved rather than one but I've always noticed there is only one when splitting vertically.

No, this has not been a rant but only trying to explain a bit. Yet, I understand there are many who just will continue to do it horizontally and think that is the only way to go. That is their choice and I really don't care. But for those who want to do the work with less strenuous work, there are other options than standing. And for me, I'll choose vertically every time.

PatrickNY, Barcroftb, Chaz and 3 others like this.
  17. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

I believe we have arrived at consensus.
    Well stated, men. :handshake:

Barcroftb, Chaz, Husky Man and 4 others like this.
  18. JCMC

JCMC

So Jon_E what are you going to do, Keep it or send it back or sell it?

Barcroftb and Chaz like this.
  19. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

My thinking has just been reconfirmed.

Splitting with my x27, vertically, is definitely the way to go.

:axe:

Farmchuck, Barcroftb and Chaz like this.
  20. Jon_E

Jon_E

Can't send it back, I bought it through Amazon. SO that's out. I am going to keep using for a while, maybe change the way I work, see if it makes any difference. I still consider it a Swiss army knife that doesn't do any one thing exceptionally well, but I will allow myself more time to evaluate it. Won't lose it's value anyway. Like I said earlier, Austin and his family make a great product, but it may just not be the right one for me.

PatrickNY, Slocum, Barcroftb and 5 others like this.