In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Little afternoon Locust snack

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by sirbuildalot, Oct 22, 2020.

1. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

On the way to look at the Big Tex trailers the other day i passed by a factory with a small Locust grove on the side of it. On the way back I pulled in and took a closer look. There were several broken off Locust branches. I went to the door, but it was locked. I looked up the phone number and spoke with the owner to ask permission to cut. He said I was able to cut the stuff up, no problem, just be careful. Sounds good, thank you sir!!!

[​IMG]

The leaves in this pic are from another nearby tree

[​IMG]

On the way home from work today I stopped in and did some cutting. Not a whole lot, just enough to fil the 250's little belly.

The little branches filled up the first row.

[​IMG]

I found a good sized branch that had broken off and got stuck on the crotch of a tree. Getting to it was a pain. Lots of vines and Locust thorns to deal with. I was determined to get a halfway decent load though.

Didn't take long, maybe 25-30 minutes to fill up the truck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I cant believe how much darker the bark and wood gets after sitting dead for awhile. Goes from a greenish/yellow wood and light gray/green bark to chestnut brown wood. Wood circled was from today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Theres more there that I didn't take. I may ask about going back at some point.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  2. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Good find. I see you have your eye on BL patrol at all times. Heck its good for breakfast and brunch, why not an afternoon snack. All we need now is an all day BL buffet. :drool::saw:
    The stuff from the score im cutting has darker heartwood. Isaias blowover.

3. blujacket

blujacket