In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Light chainsaw recommendation? Not budget related.

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Lastmohecken, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Dakota Hoarder

Dakota Hoarder

Stihl’s can be a little easy to flood. I’ve done it more than I’d like to admit. I always wonder after it’s bean sitting for 10 or 15 or 20 minutes is it warm start or cold start? Good thing if it’s accidentally flood just set saw on The ground, Put in running position, hold throttle of full throttle, and pull cord about 5 times and it should fire. If it’s flooded real bad pull the spark plug pull cord 5-10 times replaced plug and follow cold start procedure.

good buy on your 362. The 362 is in my radar if I find a good deal!

Loon and campinspecter like this.
  2. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

In that case, I had GAD for years. Until all the safes were over full and no real room for another. Then I started buying chainsaws and somehow that put the GAD in remission. My immune system is weak against such ailments :confused:

3. campinspecter

campinspecter

While the 439 has been in the shop which was most of June,July, and August I have using the MSA 160 for limbing , log marking,and cleaning up splits that just hang together . Some times the small saw can sit for 45 minutes without being run , there's no guess work in starting the battery saw.The 220 c uses regular chain which will make filing easier plus it has 30% more power than the 160.I will keep the 439 for days when I go cutting in the rain .

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  4. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

Good to know. I guess on the warm saw, the best move is to not choke at all, for the first pull or two. If it don't hit, then choke?

5. Firewood Bandit

Firewood Bandit

For a small saw, there is only one. Husky 346XP.

Nuff said, the finest 50cc saw ever made unless you port it. DSCF0004.JPG

6. Dakota Hoarder

Dakota Hoarder

Probably the best option. They seem to stay warm longer than you’d think.

7. OldJack

OldJack

I have a Stihl MS170. Good little saw. Upside down Ignition Switch-Choke, up is off. Seems to be a German thing. I had a major Manitoba Blow-down, figured the 170 wouldn't last with the bar buried, so I bought a Dolmar 5105. Local dealer, lots of power, switch works the right way. Up is run. Now it's DED elm, so the 170 doesn't get much work. Still (Stihl) a good deal.

farmer steve likes this.
  8. JW IN VA

JW IN VA

I am kind of wanting a small saw for fence work, too. But then I also have considered a bigger saw for bigger firewood work. Obviously, the saw I have now, will pretty much do it all. But I am worried about continued service and parts, since they apparently don't even make the Jonsered 2255 anymore even though it's only about 3 years or so old. However, I understand that Husky still makes a pretty much identical saw in the Rancher.[/QUOTE]

'll throw in my .02 worth. I run an MS 362 for my"big saw". 59cc 4.68 or so horsepower, 20" bar with .50 kerf chain.I also have in stock an old 028 and a waiting to e rebuilt 026.
    I was looking for a lighter saw than the 028 to use until I got the 026 work done.I researched and narrowed it to the Stihl 250,251 or Husqvarna 445.I wound up finding the MS250 on sale for 299.99 and I am happy with it.It came with a .325 pitch 18" bar and chain. I've used it a lot cutting smaller wood and carry it on the truck when fenceing.
    With a sharp chain,it cuts 12" and under real well and can handle larger blocks very well.Biggest I've tried is about 20 inch.
    The saw cuts much better than it's "homeowner" status would imply.

9. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

'll throw in my .02 worth. I run an MS 362 for my"big saw". 59cc 4.68 or so horsepower, 20" bar with .50 kerf chain.I also have in stock an old 028 and a waiting to e rebuilt 026.
    I was looking for a lighter saw than the 028 to use until I got the 026 work done.I researched and narrowed it to the Stihl 250,251 or Husqvarna 445.I wound up finding the MS250 on sale for 299.99 and I am happy with it.It came with a .325 pitch 18" bar and chain. I've used it a lot cutting smaller wood and carry it on the truck when fenceing.
    With a sharp chain,it cuts 12" and under real well and can handle larger blocks very well.Biggest I've tried is about 20 inch.
    The saw cuts much better than it's "homeowner" status would imply.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I still have something like the MS 250 on my radar or maybe even smaller for a small saw option. The MS 250 is on sale right now thru November.

10. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

Back to the MS 262, I ran it some more today. A smaller saw could have obviously cut everything, but I am starting to really like this saw. I cut a couple of logs up, seasoned red oak, that fell down a couple of years ago. It should make great wood. And the 25' bar gives you reach for limbing too.

11. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

It’s a 362, right? Those are great all around saws. My brother had a Husky 357, now has a Stihl 361. About the best mid size do it all saws I’ve ever run. 50 cc saws are great limbers, 70cc saws are great buckers, but 60cc saws can do both.

12. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Its a great saw. What little ive used my 361 (2-3 tankfulls) i love it (its in the shop for some work with my 460) but i now got into the habit of running 2-3 saws when im processing an entire tree since Isaias and the tornado here. Using the 170 first and go to PU the others they seem to weigh a ton. Most of the wood i cut is scrounged roadside so usually is in log form with nothing smaller then 4-6" so the 261 works well.
    I guess old age is catching up with me. :BrianK:

13. MAF143

MAF143

Say it ain't so... whenever I think that, I grab a saw and head for the woods. I'm hoping to never stop...

14. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I was going to do that but forgot what i was going to do! :rofl: :lol:

15. Farmchuck

Farmchuck

I loves my 346!:handshake::)

16. bert the turtle

bert the turtle

I use my 260 about 90% of the time and my 441 the remainder. Used to be a "more power" kind of guy. Now I'm a "adequate power with as little weight as possible" kind of guy. If I could justify another saw, and so far, I cannot, I would be going with a battery-powered saw. No question about it. Probably Stihl as I've had good results from my Stihls over the years, but that isn't required.

No fuel to buy and store. No tune-ups. No carb rebuilding. No noise. Etc., etc. If a battery saw meets your needs, give it a try.

17. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

My employer had a Stihl rep come in to give our guys a training seminar...he said the utility companies are buying up the little battery saws like hot cakes...they love them.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  18. Chud

Chud

I use the Stihl battery powered pole saw and it works great. A lot lighter than the gas version.
    I don’t like sharpening 1/4” chain, or that it only comes in a double drag version.

bert the turtle likes this.
  19. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

Yep, an electric chainsaw does seem interesting. I have a lot of Dewalt battery powered tools and it's amazing how well they do.

bert the turtle likes this.
  20. dave mclenan

dave mclenan

i tried out the new makita/dolmar german made chainsaw for a 9 hr day yesterday, i was impressed very impressed its made to compete in the farm/rancher class, 4.1 horsepower 12.8 lbs, lots of jam IMO BLOWS THE HUSKY RANCHER AWAY, and the stihl farm class saw to it is a 56 cc saw though, the makita ea5600 farm class saw is by far the best saw in this class, and its 12.8 lbs, and 4.1 hp im not sure on pricing, as the dealer just asked me to try it out, the firewood business is exploding right now here in b c, and were very busy, if the price is fair im going to buy a ea5600 MAKITA/DOLMAR

Midwinter, OldJack and Ronaldo like this.