In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Lets talk top handles

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Freakingstang, Nov 9, 2014.

1. Freakingstang

Freakingstang

For actual tree climbing, not on the ground BS.

I used a 335xpt for years... its more temperamental than a hooker in church. I've been doing a lot of climbing lately and need something that actually starts when I need it to.

I had an ms200T years ago that I sold because I didn't climb.. Ran a buddies 201T a couple weeks ago... wow, stihl had the top handle market for 20 years, what happened?. The 192 is underpowered, I don't care what kind of mods you do to it.

My lack of confidence in the 334/335/338 series steered me to look at something else...

I found a T540xp brand new in the box on CL for 450. Seems like a lot for a climbing saw, but.. hopefully it will pay for itself on a couple trees I have to top before taking down. Looking forward to the 80' lightning stuck oak I have to get into this week.. Its got two take downs on it now, approx 5 tanks. Its stronger everyday. I've had an auto tune for 2-3 years already so that wasn't a worry for me.

Anyone else have any time on a T540? Any issues, comments or complaints? I bought it, knowing if I didn't like it I could off it and not be out any cash. My love of huskies is great, but not after a few less than stellar or reliable top handles so I was a little unsure.

My only issue is that it cools off fairly fast. 10-15 minutes being off, you might have to choke it. Maybe the AT is still learning as the saw is breaking in, but I can handle two pulls up in a tree. when the saw is stone cold, three pumps on the primer, choke on and 99% of the time it fires on the first pull. I love the auto return kill switch. The placement of the switch on the 334/338 series was horrible, it was always getting bumped off. I was going to swap out the 14" bar for a 12" but it pulls it amazingly well. It is getting a muffler mod this week sometime when I have time.

I love the rear air filter.. the front filter on the 334/5/8 series was challenged. I like the plastic loop to clip it on your belt (not for the lanyard, but to snap it on your belt to keep it from dangling). Overall, I'm thoroughly impressed. it is probably a half a pound heavier than the older husky top handle saws. We'll see how long the techlite bar lasts... overall I love it, not too bulky, good ergonomics and awesome power (for what it is).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

splitoak and Pallet Pete like this.
  2. Cut4fun

Cut4fun

I had 2 338 200 and many others and sold them to get a 540. Till I got feedback back about weight. I was wanting a lighter 1 handing saw not heavier.

338 didnt have that stupid foam filter like 335. Had normal filters.

I turned down a dolmar 3410 because I was told it was unbalanced for 1 handing. So now I have a echo. So far fits my 1 handing needs and lighter. But not the power of 338 or 200.

I liked the balance of the 338 over the 200 also.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  3. Cut4fun

Cut4fun

Also had a solo 637 40cc that I really liked. Had better av then the 200 IMO

xpt338 002.JPG

4. Cut4fun

Cut4fun

solo 40cc pp236solo637 004.JPG

Bluelou likes this.
  5. KilliansRedLeo

KilliansRedLeo

HVA spent boat loads of money on the development of the T540, in an effort to stay competitive in the climbing saw marketplace, ruled for years by 200T/201T. Everything I have gotten back on the 540 has been positive. Same kind of stuff comes back on the latest generation of Echos my customers are using.

Cut4fun likes this.
  6. Cut4fun

Cut4fun

Same here. Only been a few lemons so far running wise (like anything new). Plus the weight issue many brought up.

7. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

I have an 011 top handle. I think its a homeowner thing so they can get more leverage. Cause I can barely one stand that 40cc saw. And won't be doing it for hours or at the end of my reach either. Scotty O on the other hand could.

8. Guido Salvage

Guido Salvage

Sorry but as a "homeowner" I am going to continue to use mine even if you disapprove. I have / do own a bunch, including Echo, Redmax, Poulan, Tanaka and Stihl.

splitoak, bigbarf48, Chvymn99 and 4 others like this.
  9. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

Omg your here! Freaking awesome! Good to see you again....

clemsonfor likes this.
  10. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

Pallet Pete likes this.
  11. Freakingstang

Freakingstang

yeah I ran a buddies that he brought me months ago to muffler mod. i didn't port it or advance the timing but I wasn't impressed, especially after running a broken in 540. I have no desire to rip apart a top handle of any color to make it run. the muffler mod on the 540 is a PITA enough to do.

12. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

I've got the Echo CS271T with MM. I love it for what it is, great small wood cutter (4" to 6") to cut those small limbs up. Its extremely light and easily handled by one hand...

Cut4fun, SquareFile and Pallet Pete like this.
  13. SquareFile

SquareFile

If you not a professional you should be using two hands.:whistle::rofl: :lol:

the GOAT, splitoak, basod and 3 others like this.
  14. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Well my other chainsaw models are all Professional models...:p...So what does porting your saws make you?....:whistle:

15. SquareFile

SquareFile

Broke. :drool::rofl: :lol:

splitoak, cnice_37, basod and 3 others like this.
  16. Cut4fun

Cut4fun

Man I had to go out and see how that new to me echo 1 handed. Sure is nice but not as nice 1 handing a 338. Did like 12" buried and all any of mine get. Oh and stihl PS chain.

splitoak, Chvymn99 and SquareFile like this.
  17. SquareFile

SquareFile

But your a homeowner..........

18. SquareFile

SquareFile

I run a mini mac in the right hand and a left hander in the left hand.:rofl: :lol:

I'm out:pete:

splitoak, clemsonfor and Cut4fun like this.
  19. Cut4fun

Cut4fun

I didnt read the ohsa manual either. But do have the MSDS on hand if someone ask. :rofl: :lol:

splitoak and clemsonfor like this.
  20. Freakingstang

Freakingstang

the 540 handles much better than the 33x series and with the techlite bar it isn't noticeably heavier than a 3 series with a regular bar

clemsonfor likes this.