In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Lennox Whitfield Optima 3 - new and MFD ?

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by don2222, Feb 18, 2020.

1. don2222

don2222

Hello
    I just found a Green with Gold Trim Optima 3 FS.
    So I just called IHP Integrated Hearth Products tech support and they said these Optima 3 stoves were made from 2002 to 2014 and gave them Serial # WH-1261 and they could not tell me when the stove was manufactured.
    If I knew how many they made per year we could do an approximate calculation but they did not know that! I am guessing 400 per year so it is 2005? ??
    Or
    If someone has a 2014 then what is the serial and we can divide by 12 to get approx were made per year! :)
    Is there any way to find out when this stove was made?
    Also does anyone know how much these stoves costs new?

It also has the optional log too and instructions.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  2. ChandlerR

ChandlerR

Nice looking stove Don! I am officially partial to the green (seeing as I have one )

3. badbob

badbob

Well,IHP was the 3rd owner, before Whits got dropped, and they even took the manuals and stuff off the net. oh, i think the one i recently worked on was actually a profile, not an Optima. You could try calling Mountain View, and Woodheatstoves.com with the serial number, one of them might be able to narrow it down.

don2222 likes this.
  4. don2222

don2222

Hi BB
    The Profile 20 & 30 pellet stoves are like all the other Whitfields with the ash door slides that have to be pulled open to brush the ashes into the ash pan. Easier to just vacuum out and not even use the ash pan. See pic 1
    The Optima 2 & 3 pellet stoves are open so the ashes fall directly into the ash pan. This is a very desirable feature in my book. See pic 2

The major difference between Profile & Optima pellet stoves. They both have the ash trap doors on the back fire wall.
    Pic 1 - Profile 20 & 30 with ash door sliders to ash pan which must be manually opened to brush the ash into the ash pan.
    Pic 2 - Optima 2 & 3 with large opening to ash pan so ash falls in ash pan automatically. :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  5. don2222

don2222

Do you have gold trim?

6. badbob

badbob

Ya,whatever. the reason withfieldes are going away is because the price of the repair parts is so high.That is why so many ended up in junkyards and recyclable palaces.The 3rd owner of the company, decided to go with a different brand/supplier, that would make them more money. This is not new or interesting stuff, just facts. The Whits are great stoves, just have went past their prime. The old ones are as dependable as the old Austroflamms, but so many old Witts got trashed, it is terrible.

7. don2222

don2222

Actually, there are many after market parts for Whitfields that are better and cheaper. Due to the different owners, there are very few dealers and qualified servicemen that know how to fix these stoves! They work different and there are many out there still in operation. There is really no training on them at all! I am so glad I picked this stove up to see why the owner wanted to throw it away. Again I sense since it did not throw out much heat, I bet he thought if he just replaced the convection blower that he knew was bad, that would not fix the problem of not much heat on high!
    Getting someone to fix it would be extremely difficult because all the other parts are working.
    However since I have a lot of experience with these machines, I bet it is the auger bushing and auger motor that got really weak. We will see :)
    That is why this is so much fun. :)
    One of my favorite fixes that works for the Profiles 30 and Optima 3 stoves with the 7” mounting hub is to put a high quality Harman exhaust blower with their famous double paddle fan blades in these units and then they burn like a house on fire!
    No One else can do that! :)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    badbob likes this.
  8. slvrblkk

slvrblkk

Don...what's the size of your trailer?

badbob likes this.
  9. don2222

don2222

It is a Harbor Freight approx 3’ x 4’ - works great! Why?
    1090 lb. Capacity 40-1/2 in x 48 in Utility Trailer
    Then I bought the pressure treated wood and vibration proof nylon stainless steel nuts and bolts and made a built-in ramp on a fold down back gate.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    slvrblkk likes this.
  10. slvrblkk

slvrblkk

I was just curious. I'm looking to pick-up a 4 x 6 trailer at some point. Was thinking about a smaller one but then thought I can use it for "other stuff" than hauling stoves if I bought a slightly bigger one.

jtakeman likes this.