In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Kubota ignition switch issue?

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by RCBS, Mar 27, 2017.

1. RCBS

RCBS

Noticed something weird on tractor last week. I had initially chalked it up to low battery but think it's something else. Grand L series Kubota 3130 HST. When I cycled the key to glowplug heat, the digital screen flashed a bit and the heater did not kick on. I turned to crank position to see if battery was dead and the tractor rolled over and started (first time in a couple months) to my surprise. Went and did what needed doing and parked the tractor, not thinking of it afterwards. This past Saturday I went to fire it up and it did the same thing. This time, I noticed that if I jiggled the key a bit, the digital dash would flicker and the plug heater would come on.

I tore the dash off and checked for rodent damage and found nothing out of the ordinary. No noticeable corrosion on any of the wires/terminals. Battery is original from circa 2004, but the hydrometer window is still showing green. Going to have the battery load tested today after work, but I think the problem is more ignition switch related as I can change the condition by moving the key around. ( checked all fuses and they are ok)

I know Kubs can be nightmares when it comes to electrical, but would anyone agree with the symptoms listed that it would likely be either low voltage or bad key switch? I'm not sure what else to chase after at this point. While I was running the tractor, everything was normal.

Anything else I should be looking at?

Hammy likes this.
  2. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Not a pro but that sounds like a switch issue. Similar to some we've had when trying to start and nothing but wiggle the key and bingo, it starts.

Hammy and RCBS like this.
  3. RCBS

RCBS

I already have the keyswitch part number looked up. Just want to make sure I'm not overlooking something else that could be affecting it. $54 isn't too bad of money for a Kub part I guess. I am going to look very closely at connections and terminals for corrosion or chew marks before I order the switch. All mice within a 1/2 square mile better hope I don't find a chewed up wire somewhere! I'll wage a war like they've never seen! Does Sam's Club sell pallets of D-Con?? :)

4. ironpony

ironpony

wiring, possible relay in heater circuit, does sound like the switch though

Backwoods Savage, RCBS and Hammy like this.
  5. Butcher

Butcher

Just putting this out there as I have seen and heard of similar problems on other makes. Check your safety switches that are on the machine for loose or corroded connections. ( seat, clutch, neutral etc. etc.)

6. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Probably the switch, but it doesn't have some sort of a "smart" controller for the GP does it?

7. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

When it did it the first time, after it was running did the dash work? How many volts are in the battery?

RCBS likes this.
  8. RCBS

RCBS

It has a timer Relay for sure, and some sort of heater control.

Took battery to auto store and had it load tested. All indicators say it's good to go, including the green dummy light on battery. You are thinking same as I was...low voltage shenanigans. Think the battery test ruled that out. I honestly think it's likely the switch, though the glow plug heater has been considered. I could get the result to vary depending on position of switch. Gonna mess with it some more come the weekend. Will report back.

Canadian border VT likes this.
  9. concretegrazer

concretegrazer

Probably is the switch. Wouldn't hurt to check/clean the ground cables.

RCBS likes this.
  10. RCBS

RCBS

I would, if they needed it. Absolutely zero corrosion! I will give it a coat of shellac when re-installing. Also going to put a piece of rubber under the battery. They just sit on steel from the factory.

11. concretegrazer

concretegrazer

The switch on my L2500 has been this way for years. fwiw

RCBS likes this.
  12. RCBS

RCBS

You have to finagle it a bit? Does it ever cause the tractor to stall on you?

13. concretegrazer

concretegrazer

I just wiggle the key a bit and the glow plugs will come on. It always starts fine.

RCBS likes this.
  14. RCBS

RCBS

Well, I put the battery back in this evening and stuck a piece of thin rubber gasket material under battery as I had planned. Couldn't help but pull the dash off and have another nose around. I saw lots of stuff in there that needed some lubrication when I last had it apart. Again, no chewed wires, burnt stuff or corroded terminals or connections found. I think it is just the switch, so I will be getting a new one.
    IMAG0539.jpg

Rodent hideout. Found a couple old pieces of dcon up here.
    IMAG0540.jpg

15. fuelrod

fuelrod

Yeah, it's only "broke" if it doesn't start:D. I got a lot of stuff ya gotta "jiggle".

16. RCBS

RCBS

New switch ordered to the tune of $38.33 from Messick's.

fuelrod likes this.
  17. fuelrod

fuelrod

You already did the hard work getting access to it:thumbs:
    Always better to keep up with the small things, a lot of "small things" add up to a big PITA thing eventually.:hair:

RCBS likes this.
  18. RCBS

RCBS

I'm not totally ocd or anything, but something like this drives me nuts! I like my mechanical stuff to be fully functional and reliable. I have no idea if this may eventually strand me 1/2 mile back in the woods. Gonna nip it in the bud!

Oh and a word of advice for other L owners of the early 2000s vintage...getting the dash off requires a stubby Phillips. I was without on the first removal and it was a bear.

fuelrod and Canadian border VT like this.
  19. fuelrod

fuelrod

You don't have to explain yourself to me! I could use a good dose of "keeping up with things" as you have demonstrated here!:thumbs:
    I just have too many things with tires & batteries to keep up with. Just the other day I was airing up a tire....Counted the tires in my head that I struggle to keep air in. IIRc the number was like 48o_O

RCBS likes this.
  20. RCBS

RCBS

Hmm...yeah I don't think I want to consider my figure...better off not knowing. I'm sure it's lower than 48 though! :confused: 55 gallon drum of slime and call it good?

cnice_37 likes this.