In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

★★★★☆ Koal Keepr by Lehmans

Discussion in 'Firewood Accessories' started by Grizzly Adam, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Grizzly Adam

Grizzly Adam null

I ordered in one of the Koal Keepers from the Lehman's catalogue because I don't like throwing out hot coals with my ash. This product works like a little litter scoop, letting the fine ash fall through while keeping the larger coals in the scoop. This product came in particularly useful last winter when it was -40 for two straight weeks and we didn't have time to burn down our coals-- Removing the ash gave us the room we needed to continue adding wood.

I also found the Koal Keeper handy for December barbecues. I would simply rob the wood stove of several scoops of coals and I would have a roaring fire in the grill in no time. The only downfall of this product is the stumpy handle which when messing with hot coals can leave you feeling a bit singed. I try to always pair it with hearth gloves, but do plan on lent thing the handle before the burning season starts back up.

2. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Was thinking about this today while trying to separate good coals from the ashes in the Fireview.

How did the Koal Keepers work out?
    Did you use it enough to say, "yes it's a worthwhile tool", or, "I wasted my money on another gimmick"

wildwest and Eric VW like this.
  3. Grizzly Adam

Grizzly Adam null

Still love the thing, it is very helpful for both woodstove and grill. Just wish the handle was longer.

wildwest, TurboDiesel and Eric VW like this.
  4. Firebroad

Firebroad

I was thinking of putting a piece of plumbing tubing in the handle, not sure if I could get it to fit. I agree with your review, I like to sift the ashes and move the coals to the front. Sometimes I wish the scoop was just a wee bit wider, though.