In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Kitchen Remodel (And Not Quite Dead Yet)

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by Garry Polmateer, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Garry Polmateer

Garry Polmateer

Hey ya'll!

If you're thinking "Man, where did Garry go?" well, two things. #1 - Work got crazy. #2 - I embarked on a somewhat insane kitchen remodel. Said remodeling job soaked up all of my spare time since about Memorial Day, and it's not totally done but all systems are now functional.

I'll get organized and share pics of the progress in here.

First, the story and why we're doing this. It all started one day about two years ago when I was cooking pan seared chicken and kept setting off the fire alarm. Now - whoever lived here before built this kitchen and they were kind of an idiot because there is NO VENTILATION ON THE RANGE.

So then we thought, hmmm, we should ventilate this. However, there's a cathedral ceiling in the room and the range is on an island. So we're either doing a very large stack type hood or we need to move the range. So then I started playing with ideas and realized that if the range moved, the sink had to move, etc. etc.

I realized I was out of my element and also know that this kind of stuff wasn't in my wheelhouse so I engaged with a designer to make sure that we're coming up with a viable plan that is engineered well and technically feasible.

So off we go to design land and had some really interesting conversations (and yeah my wife cooks a ton and had a lot of opinions). Big problems with a lot of the design options were that we either had to sacrifice windows, doors or cut into the living room. Anyway, we finally found a design we were happy with and committed.

As far as who did what - I have champagne tastes on a beer budget. I decided to make some investments in really good cabinets, professional design, and cabinet install. I handled all the demo, disposal, electrical, finish plumbing, and fine carpentry. It ended up working out well, as you'll see there was some engineering required outside of my skillset and allowable time!

Not to be a tease, but it's late. I'll share a before picture and a pic of the rendering of the plan, and then fill in the progress on this thread until I get to present day.

IMG_8570.jpg

IMG_8636.jpg
    IMG_8643.jpg IMG_8649.PNG

2. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Nice pics and story Garry Polmateer :thumbs:
    Was starting to wonder if maybe Holly Wood had called you up to ask if you wanted to be a cameraman?:whistle::yes:

Can't wait to see how the video plays out!:D
    :salute:

3. cnice_37

cnice_37

4. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

5. Garry Polmateer

Garry Polmateer

Haha - yeah I wish! I have about 2-3 more cord to split, gotta get crakin' but I"ve been doing nothing but finish carpentry! Here's a few more pics of hte early stages of the project...

First is our "temp kitchen" - basically jammed everything we would need to survive on a shelf.
    Second is the "circle of death". Plumbing, natural gas, and electric all in one spot haha. Things like this - no big deal but take a ton of time and I had to re-engineer everything since we moved everything in the room.
    Third was the old kitchen - I sold them on Facebook for over a grand! Definitely helped subsidize all the other work I was about to embark on...

Attached Files:

6. Garry Polmateer

Garry Polmateer

More shots of demo, flooring arrived, and opened up the ceiling to do some work to move the natural gas. I put a union in when I ran the line initially which made the job to move it pretty easy. I prefer to run black pipe right to the appliance, not a fan of the flexi stuff. Ran 1" trunk because that one run powers the range (up to 150K BTU) + clothes dryer + natural gas grill on back deck.

For floor - went with solid unfinished maple. Hired a guy to install and finish (and they were GREAT). Maple was chosen because 1) I love wood, duh. 2) the rest of the house has the same stuff.

IMG_8735.jpg IMG_8712 2.JPG IMG_8737.JPG

7. Garry Polmateer

Garry Polmateer

Flooring is installed, bought some sticks, and reframed new wall for bathroom. Expanded the bathroom by 12" so there will be room for a tub. Hole in the top is for a window to let more light in.

Put "Ram Board" down on top of new floor to protect it during the madness to come.

IMG_8750.jpg IMG_8755.jpg IMG_8777.jpg IMG_8832.jpg IMG_8831.jpg

HDRock, Boogeyman, Woodwidow and 9 others like this.
  8. Garry Polmateer

Garry Polmateer

Cabinet delivery!

IMG_8886.jpg

9. Boomstick

Boomstick Banned

Love the floor! How wide are the planks?

I like how the project is evoling into a bathroom remodel too!
    The yellow gas line I "think" can't remember is code to run to an appliance.

We lived out of one room re doing our house! Brings back memories! Microwave and take out!

papadave, Thor, Well Seasoned and 2 others like this.
  10. Garry Polmateer

Garry Polmateer

Floor is 4" wide. Code here is black pipe to the appliance location with a shutoff available at the appliance followed by flex pipe from the stub into the appliance. I don't see too much track pipe up here, although I was told it meets code in certain situations. I've done so much black pipe I stuck with what I know and it's undoubtably the most robust form of transport IMO.

Yes - bathroom was a part of it, that's "phase 2". Had to move the wall during phase 1 though since there was power & vent pipes that had to move. I'll hack away at the bathroom in the months to come I'm sure.

savemoney, papadave, Thor and 3 others like this.
  11. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Drooling over this remodel.

Hey CleanFire check out the flooring he put in for your Mrs.

savemoney, Jack Straw, Thor and 2 others like this.
  12. Garry Polmateer

Garry Polmateer

I didn't do the install on the floor - I subcontracted it out. FWIW it was $9/square foot for the materials, installed and finished. They had this monster sanding machine with a 20HP vacuum which sucks up 99.999% of the dust. Worth its weight in gold.

savemoney, papadave, Thor and 3 others like this.
  13. Garry Polmateer

Garry Polmateer

1st Cabinet Mockup. The Kitchen had three anchor elements. One was this cabinet we bought at a historical salvage yard. Two was the Viking range (I didn't buy the stove it was in the house when we moved there, but it's a treasure). 3 will be a surprise for a later post..

IMG_8982.JPG

14. Garry Polmateer

Garry Polmateer

Ok - final update for today. This was around mid June.

Started electrical upgrades including a 4 gang light switch inside a cabinet, and the carpenters fit the first few cabinets and got the pantry mostly together.

IMG_8987.jpg IMG_8990.jpg IMG_9001.jpg IMG_9007.jpg

HDRock, Boogeyman, Woodwidow and 10 others like this.
  15. Garry Polmateer

Garry Polmateer

Ok continuing the journey - the next big journey was the wall that the kitchen was moving to. I mentioned Anchor point #3 above and the plan was that we had to remove a big window (3X5') which means we lose a TON of glass. The room's already dark since it faces north.

So we decided we'd kill two birds with one stone and solve the light problem, and the backsplash problem at the same time by using.... GLASS BLOCK!

I wanted an uninterrupted span so we had some serious header-ing to do. Also got the pantry cabinets installed.

papadave, Thor, Eric VW and 1 other person like this.
  16. Garry Polmateer

Garry Polmateer

Here's the updates from the post above - pantry, and the layout for the new kitchen wall, and demo day 1 of the wall with the header installed.

IMG_9007.jpg IMG_9011.jpg IMG_9012.jpg IMG_9047.jpg

HDRock, Boogeyman, Woodwidow and 6 others like this.
  17. Garry Polmateer

Garry Polmateer

So now that there's a big hole in the wall, we started with electrical planning. I had exactly one day to design and install all the wires, as they were planning on closing up the wall. Thankfully (spoiler alert) - everything worked!

So I had to run 3 circuits into the wall, two power circuits and one lighting circuit, with a few switched legs on it. Always fun. Also ran a feeder wire for a fan sensor since if you install a legit range hood, you need a make up air unit to open to avoid pulling a vacuum on your house (negative pressure = carbon monoxide and/or smoke getting pulled out of the woodstove).

You can laugh at my plan- I'm no electrician, but I know enough to be dangerous. And yeah, I don't/didn't bury any junction boxes or anything dumb like that. Then the team came back in and closed up the wall and started installing more base cabinets.

IMG_9058.JPG IMG_9066.jpg IMG_9068.jpg IMG_9087.jpg IMG_9114.JPG

18. Garry Polmateer

Garry Polmateer

Annnd we have a HOLE! And the hole's full of glass block. AND the glass is also installed in the pantry cabinets. GETTING THERE!

IMG_9146.jpg IMG_9149.jpg IMG_9154.JPG IMG_9155.jpg IMG_9178.JPG

19. lukem

lukem

Interesting idea with the glass block backsplash. How does it look from the outside?

savemoney, Eric VW, papadave and 2 others like this.
  20. Garry Polmateer

Garry Polmateer

Trimmed it out to match everything else - generally matches because all the windows on our house have the faux grills on them.

savemoney, Eric VW, bogieb and 2 others like this.