In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Kinda off track but

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by moresnow, Apr 16, 2018.

1. moresnow

moresnow

I just started playing with a new instant pot. Spare ribs were outstanding. Corned beef/cabbage was also. Anyone else using this cooker? Guessing I am late to the Insant Pot party! Normal for me....

brenndatomu, Horkn, wildwest and 3 others like this.
  2. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Never heard of it .
    :binoculars:

:sherlock:

brenndatomu, Horkn, wildwest and 2 others like this.
  3. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Ok. Now I see...someone reinvented the wheel.:yes:

:handshake:

brenndatomu, Horkn, wildwest and 4 others like this.
  4. moresnow

moresnow

Hope some others have been using this and will comment. It really surprised me. Figured it was just another counter top decoration that wifey dreamt up..... I was wrong. This thing is nice.

5. Babaganoosh

Babaganoosh

It's a pressure cooker.

Ribs have no business being put into a pressure cooker....

6. VOLKEVIN

VOLKEVIN

The mother in law got one for Christmas. It’s a pretty legit kitchen tool, and we are the beneficiaries of the tasty stuff she makes in it!

7. fishingpol

fishingpol

I have never cooked a meal in one, but use it for pre-cooking chicken thighs for the grill.

I also cook potatoes for mashed and butternut squash. 6 minutes for all of the above when the jiggler weight is going.

8. NortheastAl

NortheastAl

We still use a standard pressure cooker. Might get an instant pot one day.

9. MaineMtnMan

MaineMtnMan

Used it for corned beef and it was outstanding!

10. Warner

Warner

Wife got one for Xmas used it for every thing from oat meal to cooking a whole frozen chicken in 45 min. It works well but the flavors don’t have much time to develope like simmering something for hours.

brenndatomu, wildwest and NortheastAl like this.
  11. savemoney

savemoney

I was looking at one, but picked up another multifunction pressure cooker at Sam's Club. From what I can tell, it is about the same as the instant pot. So far, so good. Foods cook fast, meat is tender.

brenndatomu, Horkn, wildwest and 2 others like this.
  12. Shawn Curry

Shawn Curry

I got one for my birthday. My mom and sister are both currently obsessed with these things. Im a little more on the fence about it.

I call it the “super duper crock pot”. Anything you might normally cook in the crock pot - stews, roasts, braises, etc come out great and in a fraction of the time.

But a lot of folks like my mom and sister seem to be getting caught up in the social media cult/fad around these things and cook literally everything in there.

I put my foot down when it came to spaghetti. The pasta turned to mush and it was absolutely revolting to me. I can make spaghetti the normal way in literally under 20 mins and the pasta is a perfect al dente.

Some things were just not meant to be cooked in a crock pot or pressure cooker.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  13. savemoney

savemoney

Pasta and rice are two things I stand over while cooking. I don't want either overdone. they both are revolting when overdone.

brenndatomu, Chaz, Horkn and 4 others like this.
  14. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

I heard similar, come across things about it on the internet often. I have old school crock pot and tippy lid pressure cooker (no, this one is not jankety Horkn :) ) That said I did get both WWW and my Father/his wife air fryers for Christmas. WWW has made several meals in it so far and holy cow, he put some breaded/spice rubbed pork chops in there, and they were -- :drool: Crispy on the outside but moist on the inside.

Have fun with it moresnow , the things I've seen on the internet are endless, creative and look delicious meals.

brenndatomu, savemoney, Horkn and 2 others like this.
  15. bocefus78

bocefus78

16. Horkn

Horkn

Instant pot, eh?

Is there any coincidence that it's nearly 4/20?

:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:

17. Horkn

Horkn

My wife and I are looking at an air fryer. What model(s) do they have, and what do or don't they like about them?.

brenndatomu, wildwest and NortheastAl like this.
  18. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Hi, I ended up with two different brands, (bought one for WWW, then heard my dad and his wife were raving about the delicious food at his physical rehab that used/uses----air fryers!) So I bought another one on sale at that time at another place. I don't remember which one we kept, but let me take a peek tomorrow to see. They are both very similar (guessing a just a couple manufacturers are making all the multiple brands out there and private branding them for the retailers).

The cooking baskets in both is dishwasher safe = AWESOME, and both are the 3.7 size. Home made (thick breasted) bacon wrapped chicken cordon bleu needs to be turned once during the cycle. It doesn't heat the kitchen up like oil frying on the stove or baking/broiling in the oven, or make the house reek from using an oil deep fryer. WWW didn't even read the directions or even open the book for recipes, just prepped the food to his own accord, put in the basket and turned the timer dial on... It cooks enough for the 2.5 of us here in one basket/cycle, but would take multiple baskets/cycles for a bigger table of diners. We're quite pleased for $40.

yooperdave I wonder if this interests you?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  19. savemoney

savemoney

So true, endless is the right word. I got so many had to have gadgets. What a waste of money most turned out to be. Not that I didn't try them, not because they didn't work, but because in the end, I always reverted back to my old basic ways. If I would just stick with that, my kitchen would be more manageable.

20. moresnow

moresnow

Did the same. Fantastic. Makes me want to have it now!

Don't have a air fryer but it sounds interesting. We got rid of our fry daddy years ago. Anything fried here gets done in a cast iron skillet. May have to try the air fryer however. Cleaner and less stink sounds appealing.