In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Just paid my electric bill

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by blacktail, Dec 4, 2019.

1. blacktail

blacktail

And I have electric heat.
    That is all.
    20191204_173915.jpg

Mag Craft, Loon, XXL and 21 others like this.
  2. Chaz

Chaz

Wow!!

Impressive to say the least.

My bill generally runs around $100 for 2 service drops.

3. Chaz

Chaz

What type of electric heating?

4. Horkn

Horkn

My natural gas bills are always just above the minimum service charge, but my electric is a bit more. My aquariums don't help, but I'm making them more efficient.

5. blacktail

blacktail

Fan-forced wall heaters that rarely come on.
    If it's really cold, I use an electric oil filled radiator in my bedroom at night, which is at the far end of the house from my insert.

6. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

I just had my cheapest electric bill since buying the house. $98.00. But then I repaired the hot tub and fired it back up, so that will be the end of those bills.

7. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Nice! Did you happen to turn on your oil heater during that little snap last week?

8. blacktail

blacktail

I did. Probably had it on 2-3 days straight. But this billing cycle was for 10/26 through 11/27, so some of those cold days will be on my next bill.

9. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

That is super impressive for electricity today. We are very happy that our bills are mostly in the $43 range. Just paid one 2 days ago for $43.84. That is very rare for this area. Bills around here are high with our greedy electric company at work.

10. RGrant

RGrant

Haven't paid for electricity since 2015 or the hookup fee since 2017.

Edit-
    (Still have natural gas for oven / range and hot water heater)- Contemplating switching to all electric in the next couple years with more of a renovation to the house. I use a low of 6CCF a month in the summers and 40CCF a month of natural gas per last year's numbers. I'm expecting them to be quite a bit lower as my furnace hasn't come on once this burn season- although we do cook a little more now that it's cool out and aren't running the grill outside as much.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  11. Highbeam

Highbeam

Mine is about 4 times that much and half of it is for a 15 year old hot tub sitting on a slab. Worth it. Even in the summer though and with the tub off we use about 1.80$ per day. Electric water heat, shop lights, and electric cooking (lots of cooking).

Your bill is exceptionally low.

12. Biddleman

Biddleman

If I ever see an electric bill under $200.00, I would faint. Everything for us is electric; stove, water heater, dryer, etc... but NO electric heat. (I pulled the little baseboards before we moved in) Plus I think my wife and kids secretly work for the electric company the way they leave lights on.

13. Kimberly

Kimberly

That is impressive; is this a regular electric company or a co-op? How do manage to get it that low? I am around $57.00 a month; I don't use AC; furnace is forced air electric but I have it turned to a low setting and the house stays warm enough at night. I could probably save some more if I turned off my computer at night; it runs 24/7 Of course if I bake I have to be careful because I will take the pan out and forget to turn the oven off; did that the other night for about two-three hours; wasted money. All electric here, water heater, etc.

Chazsbetterhalf and Screwloose like this.
  14. JotulYokel

JotulYokel

When I lived in Los Angeles, in a 2-bedroom house with a pool, (natural gas water heater and furnace) the elec and water was always over $500 per month.

In my present home, in the boonies, my water and elec are never over $55 a month.

15. blacktail

blacktail

Additional info...
    Bought my house 8 years ago.
    House is all electric, no gas or propane.
    None of my appliances are especially new or energy conserving. Water heater is 3-4yrs old. Chest freezer is 8. Everything else is older.
    Electricity is from a public utility district.
    It's just me in the house. I don't do anything special to conserve electricity except I heat with wood and take short showers. Oven/stove/crockpot normally gets used once a week and that covers my meals until the next week.
    Through the summer my bills were $22-23.

16. webby3650

webby3650

I’ve taken everything that I can off line and switched to LP gas. We heat primarily with wood, but have a HE gas furnace if needed. 3100 sq ft. And a hottub runs us an average of $120 year round id say. Our electric is really high here too, it’s a rural co-op. It’s not uncommon for folks to have over $1K bills in the winter on all electric!

17. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

There is a chance we will get water lines out here, if it happens, they are bringing in natural gas in the same trench too!!o_O!! If and when that happens we'll eventually get a gas water heater and gas dryer, and furnace. Previous home of 21 years was LP. There was and LP tank here when we bought this house but it was home made rigged lines, too many bad kinks in copper flex pipe, spooky. So all electric and pellet stove and wood stove and we too are on a rural coop. I try to pay $250 a month year round to offset the winter months when we supplement with electric space heaters :picard:.

18. WiscWoody

WiscWoody

My November electric bill was $31.28, the service charge is $13.00 and power costs $0.13/KWh and there’s a low income surcharge of .75%. My bill goes up to around $50 in the summer when I run the dehumidifier and AC. Not bad I think. Oh and all my lights including the 58 watt outdoor plow light are LED and my HWH is LP.... and I heat with wood with a bit of LP mixed in at times.

19. billb3

billb3

20. savemoney

savemoney

Here, we are four adults and two kids. Electric bill normally 250 per month. No electric heat or hot water. had one bill of $600 in Jan. when they converted to the smart meters. They even bill places that had their power shut off for the winter. Two years later CMP says their meters are accurate. We had to pay it or face being shut off.