In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Just ordered Electric Super Split

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Rearscreen, Jul 19, 2020.

1. Rearscreen

Rearscreen

Model J with 220 v motor. Anyone know if they make to order or if they have already built inventory in stock? Having it shipped to a freight terminal. Will the crate fit in a pick up truck?
    Just was wondering if others have ordered one and how long the wait was...

2. Chaz

Chaz

Please don't take this the wrong way..
    :)

But.. uhmm maybe ask those questions before ordering
    :whistle:

Edit.. I'm sure a call to them should answer your questions.

Have not heard of that splitter before now.. Will have to do some googling
    :binoculars:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
  3. Chaz

Chaz

Looks like a nice unit
    :yes:

If it's not too personal.. I wonder what the rig costs.. shipping included

4. Rearscreen

Rearscreen

Around $2,900. I agonized over it. Resale value is high. What I gather based on over a year of googling, is that they are the the best splitters for my application. What tipped me to purchase, a guy in our town has a ton of logs, a huge pile, 100 + cords and he has a super split and sells split wood to customers. His advice, just get it. I watched a video tonight of someone loading onto his pick up and I am fine as far as crate size. I chose the 220 v motor as it will draw less amperage, and my plug is 20 feet away.

5. Chaz

Chaz

Nice.. A bit outta my price range.. but I went halves with my lifelong friend on a Cub Cadet splitter several years ago.

A worthwhile investment for each of us.
    :yes:

I hope you get many years of use from the Super Split
    :thumbs::thumbs:

6. Rearscreen

Rearscreen

Funny you should say that you "split" the investment. I tried to do that with my brother who is politically 180 degrees from me yet lives ironically 45 minutes from me. We both have Woodstock stoves. I suggested we both invest in this Supersplit and share it. He said no. Last week when I told him I pulled the trigger, he asked if he could borrow it. I said no.

7. Chris F

Chris F

He had his chance and chose poorly.

8. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Roughly the same amperage total, if comparing the same HP motors...less amps per leg though (1/2) so don't need to oversize the extension cord as much...and can put a larger motor on a 240V circuit compared to 120V
    Compare 120Volts to 240Volts - Is one More Energy Efficient?

mat60, savemoney, M2theB and 3 others like this.
  9. cnice_37

cnice_37

You will be a splitting machine. Fabbed about 30 mins from me.

They rarely come up on the used market and sell quickly. Solid choice!

Sadly I have a slow hydraulic unit, the guy running it is even slower.

10. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

It will be nice to not have all the racket of a gas engine for sure...plus can split in the garage on a rainy day if you wanted to...IIRC someone on one of these sites bought a SS and got both a gas and electric motor for it so he could switch it out depending on where he was splitting...I don't recall if they are easy to change out from the factory, or if he fabbed up a quick change plate or something...either way, :yes:

11. Chaz

Chaz

Ironically, I have actually been thinking of picking up a relatively inexpensive electric splitter so that I can do wood in the cool of night.

Unfortunately my neighbors are too close to us, so firing up the splitter at 2:30 AM wouldn't win me any popularity contests.
    :whistle:

But I despise working in the freakin heat
    :confused:

Hopefully will be back to normal shift by months end.. and with daylight getting shorter, I'll be able to fire it up at a still reasonable hour.

12. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

You can usually pick up used ones for $100-200 on CL or FB MP... I think I gave $65 for mine. It's really nice to have that in the garage to do a quick resplit if I have one that is too big (I'm still using up wood that was split 4-5 years ago for an older furnace...and it liked em big)
    My sister also has a little elecric splitter in the basement right beside the furnace for the same reason...

mat60, M2theB, Screwloose and 3 others like this.
  13. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

I have same problem:eek:

14. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

Unless things have changed, which I doubt, they are made to order. My J model gas splitter took several weeks before I could pick it up. When I picked it up I did a tour of the facility with Paul, and he told me they don't build them ahead of time. The shop wasn't very big, so storing them is probably an issue. They may have rough frames with tires ready to go, but that's about it. I'd expect you'll have to wait 4-6 weeks depending on how busy they are.

15. Rearscreen

Rearscreen

Thanks, something to ponder...

mat60, Screwloose, Chaz and 2 others like this.
  16. fuelrod

fuelrod

Not to be contrary, but I thought that part of the beauty of these "inertia" type splitters is that the flywheels inertia makes up for a comparatively low hp gas engine (vs hyd). This makes me wonder about the worth of a 220 motor and the related availability (220 outlets) and upsizing of extension cables. Enjoy your new helper when it arrives :thumbs: a video is expected :whistle:.

17. fuelrod

fuelrod

Just was reading at Ss site, reading about their SE (special edition) model in particular. I didn't realize that either gas or electric, on more stubborn wood the motor is needed to power through after the flywheels energy is spent. Should have done my homework first. :handshake:

18. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

Paul will freely tell you that 99% of people do not need an SE model. Most don't even need a HD. I know at least 2 commercial operations (500+ cords/year) that run a couple J models each and they love them. I've probably split around 100 cords since I've owned my J model. The gnarly pieces do come up, but not that often. All but the biggest hydraulic splitters have trouble with those pieces as well.

19. fuelrod

fuelrod

I cut my rounds to 26" and it's about 80% Beech. The 26" from what I read disqualifies the SS but I'd really like to see how it works in that tough stuff.

Screwloose, mat60, Chaz and 1 other person like this.
  20. savemoney

savemoney