In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Itasca bar oil

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by PullinMyPoulan, Aug 12, 2014.

1. PullinMyPoulan

PullinMyPoulan

20140812_143953.jpg Anyone ever use this made by warren oil company usa.I ran out and saw this at a little gas station thought I would give it a try tommorrow.I usually use the tractor supply brand and I add some special spray to keep help it on seems to work.

2. Grizzly Adam

Grizzly Adam null

Does that have anything to do with the Winnebago motorhome company? Itasca campers are under the same corporate umbrella and they are made about 35 miles from me.

3. PullinMyPoulan

PullinMyPoulan

not sure there is a website www.warrenoil.com

4. mdavlee

mdavlee

I've used it with no issues. It is a little thicker than TSC oil.

PullinMyPoulan likes this.
  5. GRIZ

GRIZ

A lot of my buddys swear by this but I use STIHL I cut in cold weather. keep saws and oil not far from the stove. That brand is thick for me but im no pro:loco: :crazy:

6. concretegrazer

concretegrazer

I've used about a gallon and a half. I like it so far.

HDRock, Oliver1655 and PullinMyPoulan like this.
  7. GRIZ

GRIZ

My cuttimg buddy uses that oil and no problems on mild to cool days but on cold days my say oiling good on stihl oil and he had all kinds of problems:headbang:

8. Oliver1655

Oliver1655

When I lived in northern Minnesota, 60 miles from the Canadian boarder, it was what most of the loggers in our area used. It may have been related to being in Itasca county? :whistle:

Actually my father swore by it. When we moved to Missouri it took some looking but her found a source for it here. Myself on the other hand, am happy with the $4-5 a gallon b/c oil I get when Menard's has it on sale.

9. nate

nate Banned

I use Poulan oil from Walmart. It's pretty thick so I just toss in a "glug" or two of diesel to thin it out.
    Hydraulic oil works just fine too, just it costs more. That is what my processor uses.

Oliver1655 and PullinMyPoulan like this.
  10. splitoak

splitoak

For most apps during warmer weather 30w works fine regardless of brand..my oilers are turned up all the way..my 441 with the 28" needs to be a bit thinner so either 50/50 bar and canola or straight canola if its real cold...i find that canola works quite well and can be had on the cheap at walmart....

11. PullinMyPoulan

PullinMyPoulan

Thanks for the replys I was thinking it was something new to the market had no idea.It a little thicker than the Loggers choice and TRC brand.Thicker and tackier for this time of year.Living were I do you don't get to see alot of products out there just what the normally carry.

12. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

I've been using that oil for many years, my local hardware store sells all different kinds of Itasca oil. But I've found the Tractor Supply oil is around 4 dollars per gallon cheaper than Itasca.

I'm going to give Canola oil a try over the winter, Zap and several others swear by it........and its cheaper yet! Cutting as much as I do, I usually go through a gallon in a couple weeks so it adds up.....

concretegrazer likes this.
  13. splitoak

splitoak

Scotty..i personally have had zero issues runnin straight canola...when it gets cold stihl oilers have a hard time keepin up...i used a 50/50 blend monday on a big hackberry with no problems..im a firm believer that a well oiled chain stays sharper much longer..we all love sharp chains;)

14. GRIZ

GRIZ

My STIHL dealer told me a man brought a saw in for warrenty work and was using burned motor oil as bar oil lmao:rofl: :lol::loco: :crazy::wacky::hair::emb: That is :jaw::bug:Why pay 400 to 1200 for a saw and pench a penny on feeding it:bug::smoke:If I can;t afford to feed a rabbit im not going to buy it:rofl: :lol:

15. KilliansRedLeo

KilliansRedLeo

Gunnar, where did you find this stuff. I'd like to give it a try! I'm in NY so if anyone knows where let me know.

16. BuckthornBonnie

BuckthornBonnie

I got a bunch of it on sale at Twin Pines Power in Penn Yan. I'm on my last gallon now and liked it a lot. They have a winter weight that is much better in the colder temps.

17. PullinMyPoulan

PullinMyPoulan

sorry Tim about late reply Its not Gunnar its spelled Gunner I found some at a little market about hour south of me while traveling down state not sure where else to get it at.But I will be keeping my eyes open.I really like it used some yesterday .Its not Gunnar its spelled Gunner

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  18. Xjcacher

Xjcacher