In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

It may be close by, but im NOT taking it!

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by buZZsaw BRAD, Jan 18, 2020.

1. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I heard a chain saw going close by the other day and saw a bucket truck the next block over working a tree. If it was Asplundh it wasnt one of their orange trucks. The little orange "tag" on the trunk is typical of their tree for removal markings. Was busy at the time and in a hurry. I'm coming home this afternoon and spied a pile of wood on that street. Went around the block to investigate. Sycamore! Not for me.
    Some cool looking bark though! IMG_1771.JPG IMG_1773.JPG
    I was totally amazed by the size of the tree and had to measure. Almost 4' DBH. 30' tall spar remains IMG_1772.JPG

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  2. Midwinter

Midwinter

That is a big one! I wonder if they will be back to cut the trunk. Take one big round for a chopping block...

3. Slocum

Slocum

I don’t blame you. I had a huge sycamore at my old place. It was a great yard tree. It rarely lost a limb. If it did it was small. I have some css, I’ve burnt it for shoulder wood.

4. Ronaldo

Ronaldo

Is tough to split? I've heard its stringy. Good burning? Never have been around Sycamore.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

5. Slocum

Slocum

It’s not bad splitting when it’s green. I had a guy tell me that it will ruin a hyd splitter if you let rounds sit around. I’m taking his word for it. It make heat but leaves a lot of ash.

6. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Worse than elm to split IME. I had an 8" diameter round that i couldnt hand split with the Fiskars a few years ago. Ax got stuck in it. Learned real fast and will never touch the stuff. When seasoned has little weight.
    Good SS wood if you have the patience to process it.

7. Felter

Felter Banned

looks like they had some wood under the green tarps? maybe they want it, err "learn" they don't want it. :rofl: :lol:

8. Woodsman

Woodsman

That’s a biggun for sure. They do get big. Lot of sycamore grew in my hometown. See them as well along the Farmington river. They really seem to like the wet spots.

9. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

It is next to Muddy river. Kind of on a flood plain of sorts. A few others growing in the area too.

10. Felter

Felter Banned

its funny you post this my neighbor cut a sycamore limb a few months ago. and as i was plowing his drive today with the skid loader, I saw them. I was gonna grab them but I couldn't scoop them up. they are small enough that I could cut them in half and burn em. no splitting. oh well let them season where they sit they ain't going anywhere. :thumbs:

11. Woodsman

Woodsman

Yep, in Simsbury they grew all in the flood plain between the river and the ridge. Only thing I ever did with sycamore was make a fire starting bow drill set out of it. Sycamore on sycamore worked really well.

12. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

When 1/4 sawn, it makes a neat grain pattern for lumber.
    [​IMG]

13. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

Theres a massive sycamore on my route to the highway with limbs like that. Beautiful looking tree.

14. jrider

jrider

I was expecting a picture of sweet or black gum. Sycamore processes like a dream compared to them.

15. Ralphie Boy

Ralphie Boy

buZZsaw BRAD don't be ah passin' up a chance at ah makin' an sellin' butcher blocks! Dat der sycamore make some dandy fine butcher blocks and dem city people gives good moneys fer 'em!

16. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I tried to hand split an 8" round a few years back. Green and relatively fresh cut. Split like elm. If you have some id be interested in seeing a video of it going thru the splitter jrider

17. red oak

red oak

I had some huge sycamore rounds a few years back - I could not split the stuff by hand without a ton of effort. Buddy brought by a hydraulic splitter and even that struggled. Wood was stringy and would pop at a certain point as the splitter went through it. Swore off sycamore after that unless it’s limb wood that doesn’t need split. Not enough heat for the effort in my opinion.

18. Timberdog

Timberdog

Must be nice to have access to so much hardwoods you can pick and choose like that cuz I would have scooped that stuff up in the blink of an eye.