In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Is it my job, or have you thought it too?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Sourwood, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Sourwood

Sourwood

A few times when I cut a blow down tree, and cut near the stump, it will settle back upright, like it never had been pulled out. Almost looks like the tree was cut down off the stump. Leaves undisturbed even.

when that happens, I always think “I could have put a body under there”

2. Chris F

Chris F

I read about a tragic case in the last year where a grandfather cut the blowdown and when the rootball fell back into place it fell on his grandson who was playing in the hole, killing him. I think it was on this site where it was posted.

3. Gourley

Gourley

My wife's cat is 20 years old so that is my current plan if it happens when the ground is frozen.

4. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Ive had some tilt up a little but never all the way. Had a huge red oak 28 DBH i bucked a year ago. Storm blow over. It didnt lift at all as i cut closer to the rootball. I put a small scissor jack under it with a pc of 3/4" plywood on the ground. I cranked the H#$L out of it with no results other than bending the jack!:headbang::hair:

5. blacktail

blacktail

There was a double murder around here a couple of years ago. The suspect had been seen driving the victims' vehicle up into some DNR land and it was speculated that he may have done that. The bodies were eventually recovered but I don't think they were under a rootball.
    I saw a name for it at the time but cant remember it. Maybe a logger's grave or something like that?

6. red oak

red oak

I remember reading about that - that was my first thought when I read the OP. Tragic.

7. red oak

red oak

Buzzsaw I’ve had them sit up several times - not always the biggest trees either. I always make sure kids and the dog are far away when I cut a tree like that.

8. Yawner

Yawner

Yes, have had it happen a few times, always be very cautious and think it through. It always turned out good for me thanks to being told about the potential danger on a forum, maybe this one.

9. MaineMtnMan

MaineMtnMan

yes, next town over from where I work. Very scary to see people do this and not realize what can happen

10. North

North

My kids aren't ever around when Im cutting but in the future if they are I will be making sure they are a safe distance from everything.

Also, Im never cutting alone in the woods with Sourwood. :rofl: :lol:

11. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Not that often i cut them and the ones ive cut have been down for an extended period! The only kid around is me!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  12. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

Same here and a really good thread, it put this potential danger on my radar.

13. billb3

billb3

Anyone in particular ?

14. JotulYokel

JotulYokel

It happened to me on this one. I took this picture before I did more cutting on the stump, but as I cut off rounds, it rose up every time I cut off a round. It didn't quite get to 90 degree vertical tho.

[​IMG]