In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Installing a TV wall mount bracket? Anyone do this?

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by don2222, Sep 8, 2016.

1. don2222

don2222

Hello
    I picked this up from Sears today for the workshop. Has anyone installed one?

Exterior wall is open 2x6 framing until this job is done, then we will close it up with Roxul R23 and sheet rock.

This is a full motion bracket. Should I build a frame around it?

What do you think of a component wall mount below it and 3 inch PVC in the wall to funnel the wires between them?
    Does anyone have a pic of something like this that you did?

Built-in level.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
    Horkn likes this.
  2. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

A frame would be good to allow you to go into more than one stud. We were about to go buy one, but custom built a wall mounted swivel from an old entertainment stand that came out nice. PVC pipe is a good idea, something we thought of after the fact....... good luck

don2222 likes this.
  3. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

Oops, forgot the pics...... We didn't use pvc, but it would work. Our setup looks better from the front.....:)

20160908_195039.jpg 20160908_195053.jpg

20160908_195434.jpg

don2222 likes this.
  4. fishingpol

fishingpol

I've put a bunch of them up. If it is a finished wall, use a stud finder and use lags or decent screws to bolt it in the center of the wall stud. The wall mounts are usually wide enough to span to at least two studs.

They sell recessed electrical boxes just for wall mount tvs to run power, cable, hdmi, etc up them. They can be mounted up behind the tv.

Well Seasoned and don2222 like this.
  5. don2222

don2222

I have seen the recessed channel box for wires for $75 but a piece of 3" diameter pvc and 2 90 deg fittings might be a lot stronger and a tad cheaper?

Well Seasoned likes this.
  6. fishingpol

fishingpol

They are a lot less expensive than that. I just checked HD website and they start about $25.00. Is the wall an open bay?

I'd use some conduit for the cables not the 120v if this wall is going to be insulated. If open, I'd just fish them up. Just me though. Most of these installs I do are on finished walls. Metal interior stud walls are fun.

7. don2222

don2222

Exterior wall is open 2x6 framing until this job is done, then we will close it up with Roxul R23 and sheet rock.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  8. fortydegnorth

fortydegnorth

If you look above the mantel and also to the right, just above the hearth, you'll see some flush wall plates. Behind the wall was coax, component and hdmi cables connecting the two wall plates. That allowed me to have short wires to the tv and then the components could be down on the hearth. I took the tv down because I hated it being that high. I added all the wires, outlets and wall plates when I built the wall. That wall is all stone, but it looked very 50's so I built a wall over it and then built the mantel in place. It worked well to hide the wires and cords. The tv mount was lag screwed into 2x6 blocking that I nailed flush between the studs. Plenty of support for a 50" tv. I also had speaker connections built into the wall, next to the other plate. That made it so I could hide speaker wires from the receiver to the front speakers. Little forethought can go a long way to clean up an install.

image.jpeg

9. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

I would Sheetrock the wall and then install the bracket.

10. bassJAM

bassJAM

I have 2 swivel mounts like that installed at my house. One is mounted in brick outside and has supported an "old" 40" Samsung for 3 years now fully extended. The other is inside is holding up a newer and much lighter 50" TV and a center speaker. Since the wall was finished I just put lags into the 2x4 stud and I'm not concerned that it won't be strong enough.

It would have been nice to run HDMI and speaker cables and put an outlet in the wall! I used what is essentially a neoprene tube to run all my wires to the receiver and wall plug sitting to the right of the TV. But otherwise I probably would have just run it all naked inside the wall and then put some finished outlets for each in the sheetrock.

11. don2222

don2222

In this case to properly center the TV between the door and the air conditioner, 2x4 wood blocking is a must!
    Therefore, The Blocking is in for the TV and the bracket is in.
    Also the black RG-6 cable and blue Cat 5 wire for the 1 GigaBit Internet TV is spiked in.
    The Floating TV Stand - ECO GEO Mocha was ordered for the surround receiver and should be here soon. :)
    See
    Floating TV Stand - ECO GEO Mocha

Also, I did some measuring and I can fit up to a 55" smart flat screen like this Toshiba.
    Should I go with this to see the YouTube vids?
    Toshiba - 55" Class (54.6" Diag.) - LED - 1080p - Google Cast - HDTV - Black

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  12. lukem

lukem

Put a 2x6 horizontally between the two studs. Put a regular duplex behind the tv and pvc with 2 90 degree waste ( longer radius) elbows....and another duplex below the TV. Take some measurements and put them somewhere safe...cover it all up and mount your bracket after you've painted.

imwiley1 likes this.
  13. don2222

don2222

Yes I will wire 2 AC outlets.
    2x6 where and why?
    Also have to do some speaker wiring.

14. lukem

lukem

2x6 where the bracket will mount. Usually can't get 2 bolts on top of each other on a 2x6 depending on the mount.

15. don2222

don2222

Oh
    I put 4 - 2x4s because 2 - 2x6s would not be wide enough. Also I need the middle open for the 3" PVC to bring the wires in.
    See pic below

Attached Files:

16. lukem

lukem

Will work just fine.

don2222 likes this.
  17. Unhdsm

Unhdsm

I did this over the summer. Jack Straw is right. Add blocking everywhere and put the bracket on after drywall. Hitting two 2x4 studs will hold the weight. three is better but not necessary. Plan it out as much as possible- and there will still be things you wish you did different. I'd love to start over, honestly. No one believes the TV was the least expensive piece of this project.
    ALSO- don't trust the built in level! And decide if you want it level with the floor or the ceiling. It might make a difference.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
    don2222 and Jack Straw like this.
  18. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Unhdsm likes this.
  19. don2222

don2222

Super Nice Unhdsm!

eatonpcat and Unhdsm like this.
  20. don2222

don2222

Finall got the ECO GEO Mocha Today!
    It is a Slo-Go but Rome was not built in a day!

See The Coast to Coast Journey from Woodwaves to Us in pic 3

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016