In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Install questions

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by RGrant, Jun 14, 2020.

1. RGrant

RGrant

Hello.
    Looking to replace the old fireplace prefab unit with a wood stove. Currently have some clearance issues created by the back of the prefab unit. I’m going to attach some pictures.
    Here’s what I would like to do. Remove the metal that’s present. It can be seen that the brick will accommodate a larger stove when the prefab backing is removed.
    For those of you who have done this and removed one of these, what steps should be taken?

Attached Files:

Chazsbetterhalf and Chaz like this.
  2. RGrant

RGrant

Let me head this off- I think we’re leaving the backing and we’re going to install the stove with shorter legs to give more room.

3. BuckthornBonnie

BuckthornBonnie

Ok. Lots to think about with this one. Do you know much about the fireplace? How’s the chimney?

Chazsbetterhalf likes this.
  4. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Any idea what's behind the metal?

5. RGrant

RGrant

Man my pictures are trash. I'm sorry they all turned sideways like that.

The house has been in my wife's family since it was built. Her grandparents built it and her parents bought it sometime in the early 80's. The fireplace was an original open hearth build. The "fireplace insert" I'm not sure what to call it- is mortared to the bricks.
    I removed the heatilator vent covers and shined a flashlight in into the cavity and it reveals the brick behind it from when it was originally built.
    I was on the roof with my brother-in-law. The chimney and the clay liner are in good shape. The chimney has 3 separate flues. The far right is for the furnace. The middle is the fireplace, and the left is unused.

Since my wife and I got married a few years ago, her parents have been getting a fire going more often in their fireplace. The wood stove in my home is going all winter, so they liked the ambiance of it and all that.
    The open hearth they have is a bit smokey, they have to open a window, and comes with all of the attendant problems of a fireplace.
    So, we were looking for something to install... and here we are.

6. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I'd take that out completely...then you have more room, and can much easier install a liner in the chimney and get it connected to the stove...sounds like the right way to do it to me.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
  7. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

You can turn them in a photo editor, and then re-post them here.

8. Hoytman

Hoytman

Could you retake those close ups a little further away so we can get a better look at it.

That has been one smokey fire place. As a fire place, there's a way to help with that smoke, by adding a piece of flat steel across the top to shorten the opening. They sell them pre-made, or you can make your own. Of course, I know you're thinking about putting in a stove it sounds like. You're having clearance issues with that I take it?

I'm not sure if you already have a stove to go in there or if you plan on buying one. IF you were to buy one, I would first ask around (here or some chimney sweeps...here or near you)...and ask about a stove insert versus a free-standing stove set back partially in the fireplace opening. I know many folks are not big fans of setting a stove back inside a fire-place like that. Sometimes and in certain situations though a person is limited.

By the way, a sweep knows how to remove all that smoke from those bricks. IF you would want to do it yourself and you do the research, you could clean that brick yourself. They make a product you paint on, several coats, and firms up like rubber and just peels off bringing the smoke and dirt with it. If you look around you may have a shop near you that will sell it to you.

Bholler, Webby, and at least one moderator here can help you with any question you may have.

9. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

I would not guess off picture..

Hoytman if you put an @ in front of those names it will highlight them and send them an alert

Chazsbetterhalf and Hoytman like this.
  10. Hoytman

Hoytman

Yeah...I didn't do that because I couldn't remember Webby's (has some numbers at the end of his username...help me out...LOL) full username.

The one moderator here, I forgot his username, seems like a level headed guy. I think he does stove and chimney work and has some common sense.

Any of those 3 guys can be of good help I am sure and there are likely many more here that can help.

11. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

webby3650 type in first few letters auto fills

Chazsbetterhalf and Hoytman like this.
  12. Hoytman

Hoytman

Thanks!!