In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Inboard vs Outboard clutch?

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by GrJfer, Jun 1, 2014.

1. GrJfer

GrJfer

Wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the pluses and minuses of inboard vs outboard clutches.

Having only owned Stihl saws before getting the Husqvarna 562XP I have become very use to the inboard clutch of the Stihl. Bar and chain changes seem easier, as well as cleaning. Greasing the needle bearing is easier on the 562, but to me that is it.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  2. mdavlee

mdavlee

The outboard keeps some extra heat out of the case and the chain closer to the center line of the crank. Should be less stress on crank bearings that way. It is a pain if you some how pinch the saw with the spikes tight in a tree. You have to spin the clutch off to free it.

HoneyFuzz, concretegrazer and GrJfer like this.
  3. NewToStihl

NewToStihl

Not to split hairs, but there are definitely Stihl saws with outboard clutches.

I'm an inboard clutch fan for a few reasons. One of them you touched on; easier bar & chain swap. The second is petty, but I like to be able to quickly glance & see the part number for the replacement drum. The third is the most important. With an outboard clutch a stuck saw is a stuck saw - with an inboard clutch a stuck saw is just a stuck bar & chain...

4. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

X100...

I just got my 555 and I remembered how much I dislike the outboard clutches.

I do like an inboard. The Husq 372xp is one of their most famous saws, and most likely due to the inboard clutch. :)

5. mdavlee

mdavlee

But but the handling is so much better with the outboard. I don't mind it for bar and chain changes. It's swapping rim sprockets if you do that often that is the aggravation. I would rather have the outboard for milling but the front tensioner of the big huskies kills that.

concretegrazer and NewToStihl like this.
  6. NewToStihl

NewToStihl

Good call - I never even thought of rim sprocket change hindrances with an outboard. Truthfully, I've never had my hands on a saw with an inboard clutch & a rim sprocket setup!

I do fairly regularly swap rim sprockets on my MS261 depending on if I'm running a 20" (.325-7T), 18" (.325-8T), or 16" (3/8-7T).

Hedgerow and mdavlee like this.
  7. Hedgerow

Hedgerow

I hate outboard clutches...
    To hell with the balance... From an operators perspective, inboards are easier to maintain...
    But I'll overlook it with some models...

HoneyFuzz, concretegrazer and mdavlee like this.
  8. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

Other than handling and heat issues..... Outboards are not on my favorite list. I can work on a Stihl oil pump, clutch or anything else under the drum with the tools in my pocket. I usually don't have a clutch tool on me to knock an outboard off however.

Great handling saws can be built around inboard clutches too. MS241 is case in point.

HoneyFuzz, Hedgerow and mdavlee like this.
  9. HoneyFuzz

HoneyFuzz

My lil Dolmar i had... Still miss it.... Was very simple to change chains on. It was a clean look as well. Made it easier to clean around in there too. Some of these old saws i have... I have to stand on my head and say a prayer to get the chains off :)

10. GrJfer

GrJfer

Found another disadvantage to the outboard clutch.

Forgetting to disengage the change break before removing the clutch cover. It is a big PITA to get it back on. Almost takes 3 hands.

HoneyFuzz likes this.
  11. mdavlee

mdavlee

That can be a problem.

HoneyFuzz likes this.
  12. papadave

papadave

I found this out the hard way.:confused:
    Don't know what it has to do with an OB clutch though.

HoneyFuzz likes this.
  13. GrJfer

GrJfer

Papadave, Outboard clutch on my 562xp has a band in the clutch cover that must go over the clutch drum. If the brake is engaged that band won't go over the drum.

On an inboard clutch it is a non issue.

mdavlee likes this.
  14. papadave

papadave

Ah. Yep, same on the Rancher.
    Never too old to learn.