In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

In the market for some sticks and a saw head

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by J. Dirt, Nov 24, 2017.

1. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

I’m in the market for some tree sticks and a saw head. Does anyone have some input as far as brand, size, foam core, hollow core, etc.

2. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

Huh ??
    What are tree sticks ??
    And what kind of saw head ?
    Do you mean a pole saw with pruner head ??
    I need to get several extensions and a saw head. I'm just going with the 4' fiberglass ( just like on my Big Shot) .
    WesSpur will mail 4 footers. Not 6 footers.
    I'm going to go with the Samurai Heavy Duty blades . they are affordable and pole saw blades have lived a short hard life for me.
    I'm not sure the 13 and 15" blades use the same mounting hole size and spacing. If they do, I will get 1 , 13 " and 1, 15" . plus I need a new 13 " Heavy Duty blade for my hand saw. ( I cut into a timber lock screw head doing some repairs to our cabin.
    I wear an Itchiban on my saddle and like it. But, I think I will try a 15" saw. See if the benefits outweigh the size and weight increase.
    Silky has some great saws. But they don't cut any faster than an Itchiban. I also plan on trying the Samurai saw that has the gullets . On bigger cuts on cottonwood and poplar I do get some sawdust build up.
    I must confess that when doing a lot of climbing, I use my hand saw a little more than speed production would allow. Its just so nice having everything quiet.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    VOLKEVIN and J. Dirt like this.
  3. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

Iirc Marvin is the brand of saw head I had picked out.
    Foam core is needed if at anytime u will be around power lines.
    But if they weigh a lot more it will get tiring soon.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    J. Dirt likes this.
  4. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

J. Dirt likes this.
  5. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

Yep exactly what I’m after! Guess I say tree sticks since that’s what I’m used to saying at work because the rest of them are live line tools or hot sticks.
    I’ve got a silky zubat hand saw on my saddle thinking it’s a 13” blade it’s been good so far I use it a LOT just like you say. I’m set on getting a 8’ base pole, 2- 6’ extension poles and the saw head with the adaptor that goes on and off the same as the poles go together
    TreeStuff - Marvin Saw Head

I guess my big question is what’s the difference in hollow or foam core? Is one more ridged or is the foam just there to keep moisture out?

Cold Trigger Finger likes this.
  6. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

I see they have a new one out that has carbon fiber poles and is real light weight. But , its $500.00 8-/
    I don't know about the difference in ridgity between the hollow core and foam filled.

J. Dirt likes this.
  7. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

I've thot about a Zubat as they can be resharpened . Everyone I've heard from really likes theirs.

J. Dirt likes this.