In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

I'm making a move.

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Greenstick, May 14, 2022.

1. Greenstick

Greenstick

Carrington North Dakota-aka-Dakotah Territory
    I am not really one that thrives on change. I after 11 1/2 years on the job have given my 2 week notice at the pasta company that I worked at. I was given an opportunity for a job that money wise is about even to what I made but the benefits are something that I can't not take. It will also get me outside, and yes I realize that it will not always be picture perfect weather but it will not be in a cement sarcophagus factory that I never see the sun in. In 2 weeks I will be a new employee for North Dakota State University as a plant pathology technician. I will be located just 3 miles north of where I live at a research extension center that is a branch off of the main university down in Fargo. I sure hope this was the right move. Screenshot_20220505-222002_Samsung Internet~2.jpg

jtstromsburg, Ohio, billb3 and 37 others like this.
  2. Screwloose

Screwloose

Best of luck with your new adventure !!

3. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

That's awesome, good for you and best wishes! It sounds to me like the right move (I can 100% relate to the "cement sarcophagus" analogy of factory work) I'm hoping to do something similar when I'm older and the kids move out, when I can afford to do a complete career change and chase after personal satisfaction more than the almighty dollar.

4. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Best of luck with the career change. Doing what you like and being happy where you are is great benefits in itself. Sounds like you will be closer to home too. Helping in plant research is very important, especially with some of the things that are becoming invasive.

5. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Great adventures await you Greenstick :yes:
    Makes it sound like you live at a research facility...:rofl: :lol:

:handshake:

6. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Good luck with the change!

7. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Good Luckā€¦:handshake:

8. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Good Luck...good benefits make a world of difference

9. bogieb

bogieb

Best of luck with the change.

10. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Good luck on the change and I hope it turns out even better than you think.

11. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

Often change is good and if you don't try you will never know.
    Today most people don't like to see change since they are set in their ways.
    Good luck to you on the new job. Sounds interesting.

12. yooperdave

yooperdave

Congratulations Greenstick Sounds good!

No more spaghetti bender, huh? :D

13. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Sounds very interesting! Good luck.

14. Ronaldo

Ronaldo

Sounds like the right decision to me. Best wishes Greenstick!!

15. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

All the best in the new job.
    I just left one after 15 years of being there. New one will be challenging for sure, pay is much better, the work much more involved.
    But I dont miss the old job for a second.
    Sca

16. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Good luck and many blessings in your new adventure also.

17. Greenstick

Greenstick

Carrington North Dakota-aka-Dakotah Territory
    It is my last day, only 5 hours remain. I don't think it has truly hit me yet. The exit is going nicely and many people bidding me farewell, 2 kinds of cake, and even balloons. Maybe clocking out for the last time, or the walk out to the vehicle it might hit me, but as of right now it just kinda feels surreal. 20220526_133536.jpg

18. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

Best wishes on the change! The older we get, the better the Bennies look! I am confident that this is a good change.

bogieb, Greenstick, Ronaldo and 3 others like this.
  19. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

Hey thats awesome!
    I enjoyed my last day in much the same way.

I left partly for money, partly because of the dictatorship. In a matter of 6 months we had 100% management turnover, and the ones there now are looking to leave. And associates are leaving like the plague.....

After 15 years there, the owner and big boss had zero to say....so much for a family atmosphere. But, everyone was gentlemanly. A couple....who manages the other side, came in on their day off to bring me a cake on my last day. There were a lot of goodbyes over the last week, with a lot of handshakes and positive remarks.

I think the best part was the grapevine though. Maybe one other manager left of their own accord, and in a good way, in 15 years. Im not sure any one has left with 15 years of being there. The average lifespan of a manager there was 2 ish years.

There are currently 8 of us at the new job, who came over from the old job: my former manager, 2 fellow managers, and 4 who were my suboordinates. Once the final straw was broken at the old job, it took 6 weeks to bail out. And man was the grapevine the place to hang out for that time!! I didnt participate other than to quietly tell folks dear to me for 15 years, goodbye. There were a lot of special folks there and I wanted them to know that....kinda to honor them.

However, some of the folks at the new place knew and talk regularly with the folks from the old job. I dont think it was a secret for long if I had to guess.

I am seriously thinking about making a few t shirts for us all....."CNZR Alumni Association" or "CNZR survivor". (Not the real company name btw).

Greenstick, I celebrate with you. Those last days and hours must have been very good for you. It sounds like you relished many moments: the last time you'd complete a particular chore, the "i'll never have to do that task again" moments, the moment you realised this was the last time you'd see someone, the handshake from the well wisher you weren't particularly tight with, the eyebrows and perhaps emotion when telling someone you liked that you were leaving....
    I celebrate with you.
    I hope your Monday at the new place is as awesome as your last day at the old place.

All the very best Greenstick!

Sirchopsalot