In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

If I could...I’d run two stoves on one chimney.

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Hoytman, Sep 4, 2021.

1. Hoytman

Hoytman

If I could I’d have one small stove and one larger stove on the same hearth, on the same chimney, and I’d have them connected by a “Y” pipe going into my chimney. I wouldn’t run them both at once, just one at a time. I could run one them disconnect the stove pipe and hook up the other stove when needed, but that would require two connecting and disconnecting all the time.

Ideally the two stoves would be connected by a “Y” pipe and each stove pipe would have a block off plate inside the stove pipe.

Then in warmer shoulder seasons when I could use the smaller stove and the larger when it gets colder.

Hey...it’s just another way to get two stoves in the house. LOL! Can’t blame me for trying.

Wait! One at each end of the couch. End tables. Eureka!

2. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Hey, I had 2 furnaces tied to the same flue pipe at one point...just covered the air intakes of the unused one...after the unused one remained that way for about 2 winters I knew it was time to get rid of it.

3. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Why not just build a smaller fire in the bigger stove?
    :whistle:
    :salute:

4. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Have you ever tried that? It works...kinda... sorta...

5. Hoytman

Hoytman

Yeah...kinda sort of works...kind of sort of doesn’t. Sort of what brought me to this post though. LOL!

6. Hoytman

Hoytman

089C6ECE-F07E-4B2B-9FD9-CAC1B1510C80.jpeg FC0877C8-FFFE-4698-9372-8B48B428671A.jpeg CF38877B-E25A-4895-B95E-2FE202C8F1A2.jpeg

I was sort of joking about this, but at the same time I have given this enough thought that I kept these photos just in case. One of these in each stove pipe below a “Y” and two stoves would be possible.

Edit:
    Not my photos, but a few I snagged from somewhere...Craigslist maybe.

7. Hoytman

Hoytman

Not so much a big or small stove, but that would work as well. Was thinking more along the line of a nice secondary air stove as well as a Blaze King.

Say a Woodstock and a Blaze King on the same hearth.

Or a wood stove of my choice and my coal stove.

Perhaps a triple adapter with my coal stove in the middle, a WoodStock on one side of it and a Blaze King on the other.:rofl: :lol:

Backwoods Savage and brenndatomu like this.
  8. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

If only an insurance company would go along with the idea... Actually I had given thought to the same sort of thing many moons ago. But who knows? Someday someone might be able to do it without causing problems.

eatonpcat and brenndatomu like this.
  9. Softwood

Softwood

^^^^^^^^^^

eatonpcat and brenndatomu like this.
  10. Rich L

Rich L

I think I've seen one chimney with two separate flues in it.

amateur cutter and wildwest like this.
  11. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Got 1 in my kitchen. BUT an IS and a king in 1 house same hearth:loco: :crazy:

amateur cutter, Rich L and MikeInMa like this.
  12. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

I thought aboit this in my kitchen (hypothetically speaking) where I could bypass our Napoleon 1900p and have a cookstove there to use when we wanted...namely because the cookstove I love (that would suit for both heat AND cooking) isn't UL listed.....

13. Geoff C

Geoff C

I wish my kitchen were a little bigger. I’d love to put a little coal stove like a Chubby in there.

14. Hoytman

Hoytman

I actually have room for three if I want them. LOL!

amateur cutter likes this.
  15. Warner

Warner

In my house the wood stove was originally located on the first floor in the kitchen /dining room area. During a remodel the stove was moved to the basement using the same flue and the hole in the kitchen was plugged. I want to put a stove back in the living area in the worst way but due to there being a counter peninsula it makes the clearances way too close. Someday we will redo the kitchen as I really don’t care for the layout. I’m pretty sure I can knock out the tile and get 2 liners in, one for the basement and one for the living area. That would kinda make it legit I guess.

Rich L, amateur cutter and RGrant like this.
  16. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

Growing up we had a brick chimney in the middle of the house with two places for a stove pipe. One was in the kitchen and the other was in the living room. However, the best I can remember, we had a gas heating stove in the living room and a small wood cook stove in the kitchen, both vented out the same chimney. Later on we got rid of the small cook stove, and went electric for cooking.

Rich L likes this.