In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Ideal Steel tadpole gasket trouble

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Gark, Sep 6, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Gark

Gark

I hope to get ideas on how to replace the IDEAL STEEL " Gasket For Sled Assembly/Bypass Tadpole Gasket" AGAIN. I made the mistake of replacing it as part of the "gasket kit" summer of 2018/19 but it bunched up and now has areas where it is a crispy brittle black powder and useless.
    I will call Woodstock and ask for tips also. Have tried the search function and got lost navigating the huge "Ideal Steel" thread.
    The problem installing that gasket it is two-fold: it bunches up around the forward-facing tight corners (so is higher up than the rest of the gasket) and trying to wind it around the corners is near impossible. I used the new gasket for one heating season but The sled must not have lied down flat on the entire gasket and where it sat higher fire/heat cooked the gasket into badly burnt toast (brittle, falling apart).
    I appreciate any suggestions from an ideal steel user who found a process that works replacing the tadpole gasket.

Chaz likes this.
  2. Gark

Gark

In January 2019 golf66 posted the same difficulties replacing the gasket, for the same reason I did, and the same tough process replacing it.
    Ideal Steel: Hot to replace this gasket?
    But didn't have any hints/tips to make the installation any easier.
    I've emailed Woodstock and await a response (will provide their answer here if it has merit). Thanks all!
    Gark

brenndatomu likes this.
  3. Gark

Gark

Just to close off this lost conversation and provide final comment -
    I got the new gasket, replaced it again (previously replaced Sept. 2019). Smashed down the high spots on the gasket using metal plates above & below with C-clamps & vice grips. Hoping it is now flat enough so no more leakage past the tadpole gasket with the sled in the closed position.
    Though requesting instructions for replacing the tadpole gasket from Woodstock a couple times, got no response. Apparently there are none.
    Thanks for listening.

Maina likes this.
  4. Stephiedoll

Stephiedoll

Lorin must be running around with her head cut off. I've emailed a few times about sending mine in for the crack issue, got it on a pallet in the garage ready to load but still waiting for the paperwork to drop it off at ABF. At this point I am planning on just putting it back in place and running it another season and try again in the spring. I know a few went to spam, but I keep a close eye on that folder.
    Haven't gotten deep into mine to see where all the gaskets and parts from the kit even go as it doesn't have any instructions to work with. Still have faith they will get my stove repaired.

Maina likes this.