In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

I suspect this is an old felling wedge

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by metalcuttr, Jan 11, 2020.

1. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

A friend of mine found this while metal detecting. It was in an area that was originally spring board logged and there are a very few large, decayed stumps back in the woods with board notches in them. It seems in very good shape for that old, but you never know. It has a rather unique shape with an easy taper and a nice shape unlike any splitting wedges I have seen. Has anyone seen a similar one? wedge2.jpg wedge3.jpg wedge4.jpg

2. Screwloose

Screwloose

I do believe that they are from the 2 man handsaw days. Although I have a couple my father used with a chainsaw when I was younger.

3. Midwinter

Midwinter

I think you are right. I've seen some on eBay, sometimes with a hole for a cord. s-l400.jpg

4. timusp40

timusp40

Nice find Metalcutr,
    I have seen a few artifacts like that on the walls of a couple watering holes in the Upper Peninsula here in Michigan. Bet whoever lost that wedge caught heck or was mad at himself. Way back then every tool was precious and hard to replace. They did much logging in the winter months. Judging by the rust, that was lost many decades ago.