In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

I now have firewood thieves

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by papadave, Oct 11, 2015.

1. papadave

papadave

Restacked a bit of the Oak/Ash last evening. Went for a walk this morning and found a little propane canister between the stacks, and a small amount of the Maple gone.
    Dumbazzes took the wettest wood back there, but man, this pizzes me off.
    Now, I gotta' either put up a fence across that path opening, or move the firewood. Might do both.

Drvn4wood, basod, milleo and 16 others like this.
  2. fishingpol

fishingpol

Not cool. What's the matter with people?

3. NYCountry

NYCountry

That pizzes me also. I hate people that touch things that don't belong to them. In my country if you get caught stealing they chop one of your fingers off.

Ou812, basod, milleo and 11 others like this.
  4. Horkn

Horkn

That's horrible.

Time for a trail cam. Or spend some quality time sitting quietly with a shotgun in a chair, admiring the stacks. ;)

Ryan R, WeldrDave, milleo and 15 others like this.
  5. Butcher

Butcher

That sucks. The propane can also makes me wonder what else is going on out back of your place. Might want to arm yourself and go on a little walk about today. Or report the deal to the cops.

6. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

Azzes! X 2 on a trail camera.

WeldrDave, milleo, unclefess and 5 others like this.
  7. Grizzly Adam

Grizzly Adam null

When it happened to my brother the cops told him to keep calling them. Even having a cop out can be a deterrent.

WeldrDave, Horkn, WVhunter and 4 others like this.
  8. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

That's BS....:headbang:.... I'm sorry to hear about.... Time to get them sorry pieces $&(;@&" caught....

9. lukem

lukem

Get one of these:

[​IMG]

10. lukem

lukem

A couple of these might work too:

[​IMG]

Big pucker factor when seen carrying them. I wouldn't steal from a guy strapped with twin long range hand cannons.

11. savemoney

savemoney

?trail cam, that might also get taken unless you can really secure it. Some sort of trip wire with an alarm might work.

Pallet Pete, unclefess, Horkn and 3 others like this.
  12. ChuckinMichigan

ChuckinMichigan Banned

Wow! Thieving up there near Gaylord? Say it ain't so! :(

Pallet Pete, Horkn, WVhunter and 3 others like this.
  13. jo191145

jo191145

I've often worried kids would steal my wood, drive it further into the woods and make a campfire to go along with the case of beer. It's all stacked in a field just alongside an acess road to the state forest. I know they do these things in the forest behind my house but so far I think they're gathering their own wood. I'm cool with them driving into the state forest and doing just about anything they want at night as long as it's not my property or wood pile.
    You might want to go on a walkabout, look for tire tracks leaving your stacks etc. It's just one possibility but for me and my area the most likely scenario.
    Why would they leave a propane tank? That's like advertising and not very criminally smart. Leads me to believe it's kids with beer. ;)

It might help that I was a competitive BenchRest shooter for years. I practiced almost every night after work. Sort of got the reputation among the local kids of being a property you don't want to mess around on. :)

Pallet Pete, Horkn, WVhunter and 6 others like this.
  14. papadave

papadave

Had some folks move in around the corner this year, but from what I hear, they're nice. They get on their property via a gate that leads to my gas well field. They leave it open when they're here.
    Don't know if it was them or some joyriders. They rode around the field perimeter, then stopped right in front of the Maple. Left a couple butts too.
    I've considered a trail cam, but it won't stop them from taking a bunch of wood.
    I'm in process of moving the Oak right now, then I'll go back for the rest. Those folks are weekend warriors. Might go ask all neighborly if they saw/heard anything early this morning.
    The dogs were going crazy for a couple minutes and my wife said she heard a vehicle door close right around daybreak. I just heard the dogs.:headbang:
    If there's nothing there for them to take, they won't come back more than once.
    I'm actually surprised it's taken this long for someone to do this.

15. savemoney

savemoney

16. CleanFire

CleanFire

I think a "Private Property" sign, with a copy of lukem's pic underneath, on the wood pile, would send a clear message. If this is your property, give the local police a heads-up, maybe it's just not you having the issue.

Up here I would also let the county Fish and Game office know - if no beer evidence, it may just be a random hiker or hunter, it's the season for it..

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
    Pallet Pete, Horkn, WVhunter and 2 others like this.
  17. boettg33

boettg33

Here we go. Get ahold of some nice bear traps and then put in some other traps. Put up a sign letting them now danger traps protecting my property/firewood stacks.

18. Jon1270

Jon1270

There has to be a way to make a Blender Defender-style device using an extra chainsaw. Or maybe a giant Ssscat?

brenndatomu, Horkn, WVhunter and 3 others like this.
  19. CleanFire

CleanFire

Just read this - definitely need to let the authorities know, and move the wood. Sorry to read that folks are disrespecting your property. Best to let the authorities handle it though - chaining or cabling an open path could be liability issue..

20. boettg33

boettg33

Another idea is for us to form a new FHC Security service and support our fellow wood hoarders.

milleo, Horkn, WVhunter and 2 others like this.