In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

I lost my buddy

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by boettg33, Sep 6, 2015.

1. boettg33

boettg33

This has been a painful week for me. My buddy, Dakota, needed to be put to sleep. On Monday I was putting my stuff in the car for my trek to the office. Monday and Tuesday were the only two days I'd need to be in the office this past week. When I went outside, he was trying to find a spot in the bushes. It seemed odd at the time. He sometimes lays in the bushes when it's very hot out, but this seemed different. In retrospect, I believe he was looking for his final resting place. I got him into the house, and he laid down. When I arrived atwork, I asked my wife to make an appointment with the vet for Tuesday.

My middle daughter and I share the job of feeding the dogs and the cats. She feed them that morning. When I finally arrived home at just shy of 8pm, he was still in the same place and hadn't eaten at all. A deep feeling of dread came over me. I tried and tried to get him to come up stairs, but he wouldn't move. Finally I picked him up and carried him to the second floor in several mini carries. Found out the next day that he was 105lbs. 20lbs over his usual weight. That night I slept on the floor of our bedroom with him. Not much sleep, but enough.

Tuesday I took a personal day to take him to the vets. My hope was that they would give him some antibiotics, and he'd be fine. Getting him down to the car was another minor workout. Fortunately our backyard is level with the second floor. I was able to get him to go out on his own power and down to the car. This gave me a little bit of hope. After lifting him into the car, we drove with the windows down to the vets.

At the vets, I had to carry him up 5 steps, and the made it the rest of the way into the office on his own. We waited a bit as we were late. I didn't leave enough time to get him into the car, and make the appointment on time. Finally they gave us a room, and weighed him on the way to the room. Once the doctor came in, I explained his behavior, and he indicated to me that Dakota might need to be put to sleep. However; he said he could run blood work and perform X-rays. Which I asked him to to both. The doctor explained that he could do the X-ray right away to give him a better idea.

Not 5 minutes after he left the room, he came back and said I need to see this. Dakota had a tumor that took up about 2/3 of his left lung. There was significant scaring in the lungs, and the doctor pointed out that the kidney had a large tail on it. To this the doctor explained that there was little that could be done, and that anything he could do would still leave Dakota in significant pain. My best course of action would be to put him to sleep to save him for further pain.

The doctor let me say my goodbyes, and I opted for them to take care of it. I couldn't be in the room when they injected him. I'd have lost it. Maybe that makes me less of a man, but I couldn't do it. Before leaving the doctor told me to tell the kids that Dakota was staying overnight for observation. Then tell them in a day or two that he didn't make it. This way the kids would not blame me for putting Dakota to sleep. We all took it pretty hard.

Here are some pics from over the years:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Beetle-Kill, Horkn, cgraham1 and 17 others like this.
  2. bushpilot

bushpilot

So sorry, I am sure he was a joy in your life. I dread the day when I have to put my buddy to rest.

Greg

Horkn, basod, HDRock and 6 others like this.
  3. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Happy Trails Dear Dakota.

Horkn, basod, HDRock and 4 others like this.
  4. savemoney

savemoney

Oh my, that made my eyes get wet. Been there, done that. So sorry for your loss. You know you did what had to be done. In a few days, you will come to accept what has happened. I hope your kids understand.
    I keep going back and looking at your pictures. He must have been a very loving pet. RIP Dakota

Horkn, basod, HDRock and 7 others like this.
  5. unclefess

unclefess Guest

very sorry to hear this ,it's never easy.

Horkn, basod, HDRock and 4 others like this.
  6. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Sorry to hear that. God Bless you and the family in this time. RIP .... Dakota

basod, HDRock, wildwest and 2 others like this.
  7. Doug MacIVER

Doug MacIVER

rest in peace and know as hard as it was it was right. so tough to lose the family that speak in their own way. brings back the wonderful memories and companionship of those pets we have had. thoughts to you and your family.

8. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

What a great looking dog, I'm so sorry for your loss.

9. Loon

Loon

Very sorry for your buddy 33.Dakota was a cool looking buddy to have.:yes:

I did the same thing when I had to have Murphy put down as the vet had to go out to the truck where he was laying in the backseat to give him the needle.:(

10. Gasifier

Gasifier

Sorry for your loss. You gave him a good home/life. I am sure he and you did a lot for each other. Neither of you could have asked for more from a friend and he was very grateful to you. Your kids will get through it when they see you stay positive. Have a better day man.

11. rottiman

rottiman

33, so sorry for your loss. We all become so attached to our furry kids. inevidably we come to the crossroads where we have to part company. All part of life, painful as it is. Remember the good times and that you made his life great for your time together.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
    basod, HDRock, wildwest and 4 others like this.
  12. My IS heats my home

My IS heats my home

Sorry for your loss Bro, I understand your feelings and have gone through it myself with my pups over the years. We treat them like they are family members, becasue they are. We don't like to see them in pain and for some reason dogs tolerate pain much better than humans do, who knows how long Dakota was in discomfort/pain before showing signs that you could notice.

basod, HDRock, wildwest and 3 others like this.
  13. Minnesota Marty

Minnesota Marty

Sorry about your loss. As others have said, us that have had to go thru that know what your feeling. It seems to me that when we are outside like most of us are, the fury friends are the companionship that we all desire. Unconditional love is what my wife calls it. Just reading your post reminds me of the last days with my best friend. It was time and you know you did not want any suffering, too good of a dog for that.

14. papadave

papadave

Just know that you did the right thing for him.

basod, HDRock, wildwest and 5 others like this.
  15. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Very sorry for your loss!

16. Locust Post

Locust Post

Sorry for your loss 33, sitting here with tears as know just how it feels. Just no substitute for a canine friend, they love unconditionally. You did the right thing as hard as it was.

basod, HDRock, wildwest and 4 others like this.
  17. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    Sorry for your lost. Not the easiest thing to go through but sometimes necessary. Remember the good times and don't re-think your decision. Dakota was lucky to have you as an owner.

basod, HDRock, wildwest and 5 others like this.
  18. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

So sorry to hear this. Know that he lived the best life with you and he is in a better place. Like Reverend Graham said to a 5 year old girl when her dog died, "If you'll be happier being with your loved dog in Heaven, he'll be there!"

R.I.P Dakota

19. Stinny

Stinny

Sorry to read this boettg33 ... at least you've got really good memories to hang onto and Dakota is no longer in pain.

20. fishingpol

fishingpol

Condolences from us here. Take comfort in that he was loved well and brought so much to you and your family.