In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

I just ordered a new WS Fireview

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Maina, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Maina

Maina

I took advantage of the spring sale, got the confirmation email this morning, and just called them up to make a deposit and order the pipe. It should be ready for pick up in late April.
    We’re going with the blue cast iron.
    Oldhippie I believe you have a blue one, is that right? Is yours blue also Backwoods Savage? I definitely want the 22 gauge pipe and I decided to have it painted to match.
    Can’t wait! :dex:

2. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Can't wait for install pics. FYI. Build your hearth higher if you can.. I wish I read that advice before I built mine..

3. Maina

Maina

Mine is 9” now and I may go higher eventually but we’re going to try it as is at first. I want to redo the base of the hearth anyway but it probably won’t get done this year. Too many irons in the fire now. New tractor, new windows soon, new stove, and possibly another heat pump and a heat pump water heater. It’s gonna be a busy year and an expensive one. It’s all to make us more secure for retirement though so it’ll be worthwhile and I’ll be glad when it’s all done!

4. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

For our Fireview the hearth is at 16" and I would not want it any lower. But now I'm not sure I'd want it higher either as then my wife would have a problem putting things on top of the stove or even seeing the thermometer. And speaking of thermometers, ours came with one and if I were you, when you pick up the stove, ask for another one. You will appreciate having one on stove top and one on flue.

When we ordered the stove I told them I wanted one that looks like that first picture. To my amazement they told me that was metallic brown. Most times it does not look brown but it really depends upon the lighting as to what color shows through. But our stove does look like that first picture.

In the second picture, my wife was making applesauce. You can see the side porch with wood rack and sliding glass door. This really makes it handy for getting wood when the stove is hungry.

Fireview metalic brown.jpg

Making applesauce-2.JPG

Doug, Chaz, stumplifter and 7 others like this.
  5. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

I like the metallic brown. My wife picked that color for the accent pieces on our Absolute Steel.

Best thing about WS, we were the only ones in there on a Saturday . We were out back at all the stoves getting ready to ship mixing and matching all different color combinations to make sure it was what "we" wanted. Took all of the guess work out of it.

6. yooperdave

yooperdave

Dennis and Judy enjoying their Woodstock Fireview!! (He's picking out a tractor to buy in the catalog....)

[​IMG]

gregbesia, Chaz, brenndatomu and 6 others like this.
  7. Backwoods Savage

That is really nice to see the stoves ready for shipping. Did you get a chance to look around at the rest of the shop?

brenndatomu likes this.
  8. Backwoods Savage

Yeah. It did take us a while to make up our mind though. We've grown a bit since. Even my hair has changed colors as it got tired of the old black color.

Chaz, brenndatomu, OhioStihl and 3 others like this.
  9. Maina

Maina

That’s pretty cool that they do that isn’t it? We were there on a Saturday too with only one other couple there at the time and it was great to have someone’s undivided attention and to explore the whole place while it was nice and quiet. They’re very accommodating!

10. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

Yes, there was nothing going on though.

11. Maina

Maina

That color goes well without your tile I think. It makes the stone stand out pretty well also, very nice! I think that stove looks great in any of the colors, but my wife knows what matches our decor better than I do. My first pick was black just because I like the contrast, but it wouldn’t look as good as the blue on our hearth. The brown that you have would work well also I believe. It’s pretty hard to go wrong.

Backwoods Savage likes this.
  12. savemoney

savemoney

I wish you well with that. But it never ends. Don't let that discourage you. You need a sound base. We did new siding, roofs, asphalt driveway. New doors, some new windows, new floors, heating system and appliances. After all that repairs continue! I am hoping they are less than what they would have been. Just this week, we replaced a 3 yr old dishwasher. Good thing we had the extended warranty.
    I really like the looks of that stove you selected. Good looks along with efficiency. Should last you as long as you want it to. That stove would be tops on my list if I were to put in another wood heater. You are going to love that stove, but then, I think you already know that. I also am in favor of the right height for access. You will be opening that stove's door many times. You want to limit how far you have to bend and lift. Good luck. Any plans on attending the GTG in NH?

13. Maina

Maina

Thanks savemoney. Owning a house is a constant challenge no matter what, I find. I’ve always done pretty much all of my own work including replacing over half the windows and doors and a new roof 24 years ago, but I can’t physically do a lot of that type of work anymore so we have no choice but to hire much of it out. We need a new roof again soon, the replacement of the final 6 windows, and possibly new siding although I might tackle that with the help of my son in law. The rest I can do with a little help, at least for now, so I’ll save as much as I can that way. Getting it done while still possible is important.
    I’m pretty sure we’ll love our new stove as well, thanks! We’re really looking forward to burning wood again. We always enjoyed it, even the work involved, for the first 30 years we were together. The past decade we went to pellets thinking it was easier but found it’s just the opposite for us. It is more convenient in some ways but those 40 lbs bags are too much to handle as we get older and cleaning the stove all the time is a hassle that just doesn’t exist with wood imho. And I don’t need another electric appliance to have to put money into to keep it operating. Kinda defeats the savings.
    I am planning on attending the GTG in NH if I can. I’m looking forward to meeting everyone from the area. Lots of great people here!

brenndatomu, Eric VW and savemoney like this.
  14. savemoney

savemoney

:thumbs:

Eric VW and Maina like this.
  15. BCB

BCB

Fantastic stove. I'm so glad I went with the Fireview for my application. I'm looking forward to your install pics as well.

I rebuilt a mid-90s 201 model in late 2016. It's been keeping us warm ever since, including now as I type this lol.

Fairview fireplace install question

16. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

I hadn't realized your kids were that young when you got that stove:bug:

:p

:rofl: :lol:

17. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

:dex:

You're gonna love that Fireview! :thumbs:

I had mine up on twelve inch blocks and wish I did the same with the IS!
    I'll probably do that before next year...

18. yooperdave

yooperdave

That's him and Judy as kids! :D

19. Oldhippie

Oldhippie

Mine is charcoal.

Sorry I'm replying so late to this.

warm stove.jpg

20. Maina

Maina

And it’s beautiful! I’m not sure why I was thinking blue though.
    It’s never too late! How was the vacation?