In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

I few who use a metal detecting here but old post.

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by trail twister, Feb 25, 2018.

1. trail twister

trail twister

Lost a grab hook off a chain a couple winters ago and can't find it. Would think it would have been easy to see when spring came as it is Blue and on a trail pretty much void of leaves.

Lost a pin out of the quick hitch this winter. Kare found the pin but the hair pin remained lost then I happened to see it laying on a snow bank because thre sun was shineing on it.

Have two old home sites at my UP deer camp. Fellow in the village told me he and a friend were walking by the place one cold winter evening going to the Friday night movie and sparks were really coming out the chimney commented was a wonder the place didn't catch fire and burn down. It did two week later he said. Bet I could find some old things around there.

The other home site was where a French trapper lived in a quancit hut and had sled dogs. My friend the fellow who lived in the vlillage said he would buy the carcausses they got from trapping and feed the dogs with it. Parts of the building are still there today.

There was saw mill close by on federal land today where you can still see old Kerosine.cans laying about.

So I finally broke down Tuesday and ordered a Fisher 22, a highly recommended dectetor for a beginner yet serve one well for many years before up gradeing to a better higher priced unit.

It came yesterday, today I will be back in the woods looking for that grab hook.

:D Al

shack, wildwest and VOLKEVIN like this.
  2. VOLKEVIN

VOLKEVIN

And in your retirement, you can put on sandals, black socks and head down to prospect on the beach! I mean, Blackbeard’s treasure is still out there somewhere... Have fun with your new hobby!

wildwest likes this.
  3. trail twister

trail twister

I am already retired and my deer camp encompasses 1/2 mile of beach on Big Bay DeNoc.
    Hate sandles and flip flops too. More of a boot guy.

4. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

We got an old Inn on me that I often thought about metal detecting around.

Back in the day this are was THE main part of town, a convergence of roads going to Bangor, Belfast, Newport, Augusta or Waterville, but then the railroad came through. When it did, "downtown" went to meet it. This was in the 1880's, so it has been awhile. The family that owned the Inn tried to make a go of it, but got scarlet fever and passed on. Their cemetery is on us as well, but so is that old Inn. A person can see where the roads branched out via the rock walls radiating out like 5 spokes on a wheel. They claim back in the day they would bury valuables in those old rock walls remembering a certain colored rock or so and then never come back to retrieve them. I am not so sure that is true, but I got places to look at least.

In digging up old rock walls I have found (2) completely brand new implement wagon wheels, new disc harrow parts, so many harrow parts I could not count them, just as many potato bed chains, logging chain, horse trace chains, hand scythes, axe heads, crow bars, and cross cut saw blades. I guess back in those days they were not lazy, but they sure were forgetful! (I am no better, there is not room on here to mention what I have lost over the years)

By the way: If you look real close you can see to the far left a trace of another rock wall. This was once a laneway for sheep (about 1830-1850).
    DSCN0029.JPG

Woodslave likes this.
  5. trail twister

trail twister

Neat Old rock walls can't say I remember seeing them when I visited Maine but like so many I visited the sea coast for the lobster like so many Tourist.

I did go thru an area in New York just west of Lake Champlain where there were rock walls like that.

Woodslave likes this.
  6. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

Lobster???
    Like this???
    We toss 12 pounders like these back...

(My first wife was a lobsterwoman, with her parents owning a lobster pound...we ate pretty good).

12 Pound Lobster.JPG

Woodslave likes this.
  7. trail twister

trail twister

That is one big Lobster. I suppose however like big fish the small to medium size ones taste better.

Wife told me was on the News Sunday morning that the price of lobsters is going up because they are getting harder to chatch, claim was there are less to catch.

Woodslave likes this.
  8. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

Probably from the same reporter that said there was a shortage of firewood in the state of Maine too!

The Lobsterman used to get mad at me because they would often compare the prices of lobster with that of hamburg saying hamburg was more expensive per pound then what they got. This is, and was never true. Sure they might only get $3 a pound, where as hamburg was $3.50 a pound, BUT they were comparing wholesale to retail prices! The farmer sure the heck never got $3.50 for his beef!

Lobstering really is "farming" of sorts, it is just done on the ocean. That is because the lobsterman have bought so much bait over the years, and their traps are so inefficient, that it basically is a farm out on the ocean. That big lobster was thrown back, not because of taste, but because of breeding purposes. It is based on size not weight, but roughly anything under 1 pound, and anything over 6 pounds, has to be tossed back, plus any lobster with eggs.

Fishing laws make me upset because they send NAOH sends out a single ship, captioned by a non-fisherman, loaded with college interns that are not fisherman, and then from the data that they catch determine how much fish is in the Gulf of Maine and what can be taken every year. Often they conclude there is no fish so limits are established really low. It would be the equivalent of sending out a person from the city blindly into the woods who is NOT a forester, to determine how much firewood a landowner should cut sustainably on their land every year. Most likely they would wonder onto heavily cut paper company track and deduce there is no wood to cut. Honestly...in all of the gulf of Maine there are no fish????? But keep in mind, Russia and their 600 foot flash-freeze trawlers are allowed to fish here!!

Woodslave likes this.
  9. trail twister

trail twister

Ok I see, I fully under stand some of the problem of fishing the ocean is pretty much the same problems fisher men on the great lakes have to put up with not to mention the sportsfishermen screaming bloody murder the commercial fisher men are allowed to take to many fish.

Been cold and snowy here so I have not been out with the decetor. I would love tyo find a single bit axe head, well for that matter a double bit axe would be pretty nice to find even.

10. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

Come up to my place! I lost a nice Plumb Two-Bit about 1988 and never did find it. I got it narrowed down to about 10 acres though! :rofl: :lol:

This year I should be plowing up a forest that has not been a field since about 1900 going by the growth rings on the trees. I wonder if I will find anything interesting?

Probably not your thing, and kind of off topic, but I got a ton of bottling dumps on me too. They are interesting sometimes.

All joking aside I think I have everything possible on a piece of land: that old Inn, several cellar holes from the 1800's, about 5 bottle dumps, 1 licensed municipal dump (long story), a cemetery for the 183o's, a gravel pit, a slate quarry, and finally quick sand. I am not making the last one up. It is not like they show in the movies, but my Great-Grandfather said he could never find a bottom to it and put a 30 foot sapling into it. This actually makes sense. There is a gravel/sand pit not far away and I know it is 32 feet to ledge, so if there is a spring in the sand, it would produce quicksand (or it seems likely that it could).

11. trail twister

trail twister

My folks back when I was 10 or 12 got me a really nice double bit axe, brand unremembered. I made the mistake of leaveing it out one night and a porkie ate a little of ther handle. That made it weak and wasn't long I swung it back to strike a tree and that head went flying. My sister still owns the property maybe I should go search there. I can narrow the area down to about 100 sq yards.

12. ironpony

ironpony

I have one I use under water when I dive certain areas in the Caribbean found some trinkets.

13. Woodslave

Woodslave

Trail twister, west of lake Champlain, that's my neck of the woods

14. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

Woodslave I spent a bit of time at the Ticonderoga Paper Mill...I stayed at a motel in Westport if I remember right...anywhere close to you?

15. Woodslave

Woodslave

LodgedTree I'm 1 hour north west of Westport

16. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

Okay, nice area.

Funny story regarding Ticonderoga. They had a big shut down there and so I worked for a company on a weekend shift; Friday through Sunday. The Shutdown would mean I made overtime and double time every day, plus $100 a day per diem. It was good money to say the least. So the whole Weekend Shift signed up...

The Supervisor took us all inside his office and stated how vital it was to keep work at the shop moving and how vital we were and all that, but was also important to support the other aspect of the company. Then he asked if anyone still wanted to go. No one raised their hand but me, so he said, "See me afterwards" and everyone thought he was mad.

Not at all. He wanted a few people to go to represent the shop, but not all of us. Well it pays to be bold and speak up and ask for what you want. I made $2500 that week and this was in 1998 or so!!

17. trail twister

trail twister

Two snow storms in two weeks and temps 10F below normal isn't melting the snow off any.
    So searching for any thing isn't happening.

[​IMG]

deer are digging for acorns under the trees near my living room window.

[​IMG]

I did get a chuckle from a fellow in NH who said he had to use his metal dector to find his car after thr last Noreastern went thru.

NortheastAl and milleo like this.
  18. Benjamin Turner

Benjamin Turner

I need to get me a metal detector! I live in a very old house that used to once be a rural one room school. Built in 1857. I'd reckon there may be some cool stuff around the property from 100 years of kids playing and what not (school closed down classes 1957). This is something I will certainly do one day.

19. trail twister

trail twister

Sounds like a intresting place to search.
    I went to a one room country school house that went till kids reached 9th grade. Then they had to catch a school buss and go into town. It finally shut its doors in 1965.

20. Benjamin Turner

Benjamin Turner

That is very cool! I would love to find someone around my town that attended my house/school haha. There must be some around! I know my neighbor who runs a beef and bison farm had family that attended there, but no longer living.