In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Husqvarna Splitting Axe

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by Shurdel, Nov 27, 2015.

1. Shurdel

Shurdel

2. thistle

thistle

Nope but I did buy their Splitting Maul last February.Its a bit heavier (5.5lb head) with a 32" European Ash handle.

Great splitter,takes a little time getting used to how its swung compared to more conventionally shaped axe/maul heads however.The long narrow bit/offset wedge does seem to penetrate a bit easier & power through,though I did manage to almost get it stuck in some 12" dead Red Elm that had sat for about 6 months.

Attached Files:

3. rayvil

rayvil

Who is making the maul for Husky? Looks a bit like a Wetterlings.

4. Barcroftb

Barcroftb

My husky maul was made by gransfors bruks. I bought it a few years ago so maybe that's changed. Although it looks the same as the one pictured above.

Bert likes this.
  5. Ronaldo

Ronaldo

I thought they were made by Wetterlings.

Bert likes this.
  6. Barcroftb

Barcroftb

Idk where i got it into my head it was Gransfors. Upon looking for that info I turned up a discussion on another forum that seems to indicate otherwise. My apologies. They used to be made by wetterlings but seem to be currently or more recently made by Hults Bruk. Great tools no matter which of the three are making them:thumbs:

thistle, Bert and Ronaldo like this.
  7. thistle

thistle

Mine was made by Hults Bruk.That company don't have a distributer in US that I could find,but do in Europe.

Ohiohunter, Bert and Barcroftb like this.
  8. Barcroftb

Barcroftb

Just looked at mine. Sure enough says S A W sweden. So whetterlings.:whistle: Been too long since i looked at it! It's a damm fine maul.

Bert likes this.
  9. yooperdave

yooperdave

I got (gift) a husky rancher in the mid 80's that came with either a maul or helmet. Picked the maul only because it had a greater effect on the wood. Still using it to this day.

Shurdel, Bert, Ronaldo and 1 other person like this.
  10. CoreyB

CoreyB

I would really like to test one out. If someone was willing to send me one I would be willing to do my fancy wrap job for free. 20150928_130227.jpg

Hammy, p61 western, Deadwood and 5 others like this.
  11. Deer Meadow Farm

Deer Meadow Farm

I have one of their smaller axes that I use all the time. I love it. It's holds an edge very well and is well made!

12. CTYank

CTYank

I've had a Wetterlings 5.5 lb maul for a couple years now. Looks exactly like the Husqy (Hultafors), but price tag was about twice that of the Husqy.

Works fine, edge is extremely durable, works about as well as Council Tools 6 lb maul, that can be had from Bailey's for mid-$20s. Guess which one I'm calling BEST.

xxrice, Hammy and Shurdel like this.
  13. CTYank

CTYank

One thing I've "discovered" with the realy good mauls, is that protecting the handle near the head has been taken care of, by the shape of the head. Only real problem then is over-strikes, which should not be a problem if you're focused on the work. Notwithstanding fiskars' commercials. :whistle:

Barcroftb likes this.
  14. axeman

axeman

I'm confused, why would you pay double for the same tool?

15. A Visitor

A Visitor

I bought a Husky Maul ( not splitting axe) a while back and like it . I would have liked to have been able to try one first also or find one used but that didn't work out. At the $80 price tag it was a hard pill to swallow but don't regret it.
    Handle is on the short side and required some getting used to and technique instruction for my sons. It could do some serious damage if you brought it back into yourself.
    It has a old world look of a heritage tool if that is important to you. I cant imagine a Fiskars being hung over the mantle in future times as "My Grandfathers Maul" lol.
    But , even though it gives the impression of "hand" forged. I found almost no difference it mauls purchased at least a year apart. A friend bought one after trying mine and the kydex sheath I made fit both .
    I agree the handle at head takes some abuse. I'm, considering using "Fiber Fix" to make a shield.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ronaldo, HDRock and axeman like this.
  16. axeman

axeman

I have several axes from my grandpa and one that I knew for sure came from my great grandparent's home on my dad's paternal side. I keep that one close although it currently has a handle that is too short. It is fun to chop a tree or two, although the newer technology axes do work better.

17. CoreyB

CoreyB

I just bought the splitting maul today I also ordered the split axe. It is at the shop. The maul seemed to have a big more care taken while selecting handle and orientation. The edge is also a more aligned on the maul vs the axe. Granted I am looking at them with a critical eye but these tools now retail right at $100 and for that price I expect a high quality tool.

18. Shurdel

Shurdel

CoreyB, let us know how you like them once you use them. Thanks

CoreyB likes this.
  19. CoreyB

CoreyB

OK okay. I finally got the large splitting axe to go with the maul. So far it is nice it is light and I can get really great snap out of it. It gets great penetration and not sticking to bad. I have only got to try it for a couple wheel barrow loads.
    Now the maul I have used a fair bit and it splits really well but have came across some twisted red elm and knarly oak that got the noodle treatment from the chainsaw. Now back to split some more and see what it can handle

20. axeman

axeman

Corey do you have access to the S series composite handled tools? You should give one a try.

CoreyB likes this.