In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

How to get rid of poison ivy plant?

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by don2222, Jun 30, 2019.

1. don2222

don2222

Hello
    Is this it?

Attached Files:

2. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Three leaves let it be... there a white bottle at most of the big box store, can’t remember who makes it. But it says like Brush killer on it.

3. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

4. bogieb

bogieb

Either way above you'll probably have to deal with it at least twice, if not more often. If it has vined up a tree, girdle or sever the vine in several locations because the roots on the tree will help keep other areas alive. If it is a huge vine, do the sever/girdle and then spray the heck out of the wounds with your favorite poison. The dead vine will take a couple of years to drop out of the treee after it is dead - but just remeber the oils can be active for a year or more after the plant dies.

If it i still ground bound and has enough hidden roots to just laugh at poison and/or pulling, smother it for a couple of years with black plastic and bark mulch on top.

Now if someone could tell me how to get rid of Virginia Creeper - all of the above hasn't been effective :hair:

5. don2222

don2222

Thanks for all your experiences and comments. :)

6. MAF143

MAF143

Be careful if you burn it. I can pull it out with my bare hands and handle it for about two hours or so, but I have to go in and wash up really good after wards. Also be careful using gloves. Wash the gloves before using them again. I got the rash all over my hands a couple winters ago after wearing a pair of gloves out cutting wood all day. It wasn't till a couple days later when my hands were a MESS that I realized that I had used those gloves pulling a bunch of PI in the fall and had just thrown them back in the truck instead of washing them. That was a miserable week.

7. bogieb

bogieb

Don't burn it, you may be able to stay away from the smoke, but others might be in the path of it and it WILL wreak havoc on their lungs. I suppose if you lived out on your own 5,000 acres, you could burn it "safely"

8. In the Pines

In the Pines

BRUSHTOX WITH TRICLOPYR 64OZ

edited to add: if you sever the vine brush this stuff on it either straight or dilute it per instructions, You will see results by the next day most likely.
    Do not get it on a tree you don't want to die. It might be ok if it just hits the bark of the tree but I wouldn't risk it. It's most effective though when it's applied to fresh cuts.
    Or the leaves even

9. wood and coal burner

wood and coal burner

Agree, do not burn it. The oil can vaporize and be inhaled down wind. Internal reaction to the oil can be fatal. I use double bags too then turn them inside out so I can tie off and put in the trash. They used to paint temples in the far east with it so people would not try to steal the gold inlays. If it was stolen they just looked for someone with swelled up hands.

10. billb3

billb3

Sometimes you can get away with using a good strong broadfork type digging fork to loosen the soil around the plant and then pulling the plant out of the soil with a forked hoe. The roots are no safer to touch with your bare hands than the above ground parts of the plant.
    There's also the chemical method although sometimes it grows back.
    Never ever burn it. At least not with a flame that would create oil laden smoke.

Chazsbetterhalf and bogieb like this.
  11. wood and coal burner

wood and coal burner

Had an allergic reaction in February even when the ground was frozen and there were no growing plants. Had to dig down to my well head to replace the jet pump pipe and drop in a submersible. Replaced the wiring and pipe to the house too. Must have been poison ivy roots. Not a lot but enough to cause a reaction.

12. Earl764

Earl764

Poison ivy is the one thing I’ll use an herbicide for. I have a whole class of yard tools that are glove only because of it.

bogieb likes this.