In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

How much land are you working with?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by RDG, Oct 19, 2020.

1. RDG

RDG

Just curious how much land you guys own and are working with?

I own 35 acres and 33 of that is timber. Primarily White Oak, Red Oak and Poplar. My property is all hillside so bringing the wood out takes a little time but worth every minute.

Eddie Hughes, M2theB, mat60 and 19 others like this.
  2. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

3/4 acre. Maple, black birch, oak, white pine.

Most of our wood is scrounged from friends and family in the area.

Welcome to FHC!

ReelFaster, M2theB, mat60 and 15 others like this.
  3. Marshel54

Marshel54

7 acres of which 2 are woods. Trees are mainly Honey Locus.

4. pitbill

pitbill

78 acres- 56 acres woods mostly red and sugar maple, beech, cherry with a bit of poplar....and a bunch of dead ash trees

5. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

21 acres. 5 are swamp, about 1.5-2 is cleared, the rest is woods. Namely Red and White Oaks, Shagbark Hickory, Black, Yellow and White Birch, Red Maple, Black Cherry, Pine, and Poplar

Eddie Hughes, M2theB, mat60 and 14 others like this.
  6. Casper

Casper

40 acres here, 12 which are wooded , 240 acres, (40 wooded) at our farm and whatever my neighboring dairy farm wants me to cut.

ETA: i guess we have approx 55 wooded acres at the farm.
    Screenshot_20201019-170812_Maps Ruler.jpg

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    Eddie Hughes, M2theB, mat60 and 12 others like this.
  7. Midwinter

Midwinter

A third of an acre. I have 3 white pines, 3 red maples, and a norway maple. Hoping I don't have to cut any of them as long as I live here.
    I scrounge all my wood.

8. Chud

Chud

4 acres of White Oak, Red Oak, Black Oak, too many Poplar, Red Maple, Loblolly Pine, Dogwood, 3 Pignut, 1 Hornbeam, 1 Blackgum, 2 or more Cherry, some Redbuds, a few Eastern Red Cedars.

9. Locust Post

Locust Post

No woods of my own but I cut a majority of my wood on 2 large farming operations. The bigger of the 2 has land parcels all over 3 countries and always looking for more.

Edit: 3 counties....lol. Dang autocorrect

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  10. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

Aside from my 21 acres, my brother has 19.5 acres, and my father has 9 at his house, plus he just bought a 40 acre parcel he’s subdividing. Both burn wood as their main heating source.

11. Horkn

Horkn

I've got an acre at my house. Unfortunately I'm still getting firewood from the ash trees that are left. I might have a years worth of just ash once those 3 trees are dropped. I have a wood lot about 15 miles away that has really nice hardwood in it, so I get wood from there, but I only cut trees that are dead or damaged. My good buddy lives right down the road from the wood lot, and he's got 24 acres that we both cut from. Beyond that, I scrounge as much as I can from FB and CL. With all the ash succumbing to EAB, I'll be able to get a lot of wood just from scrounging.

12. Ron T

Ron T

5 here. 3 are wooded with mainly maple and cherry. 15 acres down the street to cut all I want, and neighbors have almost 100. We do alot of cutting over there.

13. Ron T

Ron T

We still scrounge the good stuff when we see it.

14. tristatehoarder

tristatehoarder

3/4 of an acre with a few pine, a small japanese red maple and a small apple tree. All my firewood is scrounged from friends and co workers and some roadside scores.

15. i only got 1.1 and am fortunate to have a neighbor that has over 100 that allows me to cut up alot of wood over there

16. jo191145

jo191145

About 40 acres of forest. Mostly red oak and black birch. A sizable chunk is maple that are too young and healthy to be firewood. There’s some pines of varying species too. The maple and pines are part of what once was the cow pasture now grown over.
    I’ve been having so much fun scrounging I haven’t taken much off my own property in three years.

17. JDU

JDU

Own 16 acres, 90% oak, 20 acres at the family farm, mix of oak, maple and dead ash, but I cut a lot of my firewood off a 40,000 acre piece of state forest land close by, predominantly oak.

18. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

I have about 160 acres, but actually have the run of about 300 total acres, counting my sister and brother in law's. We have a shared cattle operation. I am guessing here but out of 300 acres, I would say about 1/3 or more is brush and timber. I have been cutting a lot of black locust and a little dead red oak, mostly this year. And I have some Hackberry that's easy to get, also if I want it. I have never burned Hackberry but we want to remove these trees so I may give them a try. I am currently cleaning up a bunch of trees around some old chicken houses we use for hay barns. And I have cut some other wood that was just given to me or deals I fell into on saw mill log end cut off's.

I have access to more wood then I will ever cut, probably, although some of it is in pretty rough ground, but I really don't have to get into the rough country to get all of the wood I need. I have burnt wood for probably close to 30 years but actually did not have to cut all that much if it, as I had nephews and others that cut wood for extra money and brought me all of the wood I usually needed, but they are grown men with good jobs now and wood cutting is not something they want to mess with now days. But that's good timing for me, as I am recently retired and have time to cut my own wood now, and I enjoy the exercise.

19. Erik B

Erik B

I have almost 9 acres. I have a mix of wood from red and white oak, poplar, cherry, shag hickory, locust, paper birch. About 7 acres woods and most of it is hillside land.

20. Chud

Chud

About 5 yrs ago I had a mass casualty event on my Land. It was either brush killer, or drought, or a combination. Lost 5 huge white and red oaks. Stopped using brush killer and have only had 1 big So. Red Oak die since. I was not exceeding the recommended chemical amount.
    Minus the loblolly pine row somebody planted at the street, which I assume was planted for a screen, all the trees are native to my county. I used brush killer trying to kill off invasive vines and trees. English Ivy, wisteria, pears, weeping cherry. I get a lot of Willow Oak and Va Pine coming up too. They are native, but I don’t want them competing with the other giants. Now I pull and use roundup.
    Pro Tip for anyone fighting English Ivy. Roundup Pro Max at 8oz/gal applied in the spring when new leaves/light green emerge will kill it. County Extension Agent recommendation for Ivy eradication.
    What I’m trying to say is I love my trees and only cut dead and fallen trees on my lot and haul in firewood.
    I think I would lose my mind if I was trying to maintain more forest than I am. Poison Ivy, English Ivy, Kudzu and Wisteria are forest destroyers.