In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

How much have you burned so far?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Rangerbait, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Rangerbait

Rangerbait

I started burning right around October 1st when it was still way too warm, because I had a new wood stove and was excited to get it into service...been burning around the clock for about 10 days now.

I started by bringing a cord of half Poplar/half more premium hardwoods (Oak, Mulberry, Hackberry, and Ash) into the garage for ready access, and also in order to keep track of exactly how much wood I burn in a season.

As of now, I'm essentially through the first cord, and ready to bring the next into the garage tomorrow. How 'bout y'all?

My setup: Blaze King, King Parlor with 30' of pipe in a 5,000 sq. ft. house with decent insulation, but drafty builder-grade windows.

[​IMG]

dylskee, Fabz, gboutdoors and 13 others like this.
  2. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I'd guess 1/2 cord...heating about half the sq. footage you are...1940's brick cape cod with average insulation

3. blujacket

blujacket

wheelbarrow full

4. Blstr88

Blstr88

Lit my OWB on Oct 28th, exactly 3 weeks ago today. Havent touched my 8.5 cord stack yet...just been burning trees that I cleaned up on my property (1 standing dead I cut a few weeks ago and 3 dead trees that came down in a storm recently). I've got a pile of pine I had split about 2 years ago that was being used for campfires only too...figured I'd get rid of that, so its been getting tossed in as well.

I'd say maybe overall 1/2 cord? Hard to tell since its been brought over to the boiler/piled up sporadically and burned. I should have enough to easily get me to December before I start into my nice oak pile though.

5. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Just about 1/3 of a cord so far. We're even behind last year's amount but expect that will change soon.

6. Flatlander Pete

Flatlander Pete

Just shy of a face cord here. Not high BTU stuff. Some soft maple, and walnut is doing the trick.
    Backwoods Savage is right. It won't be long and the consumption of wood will go up substantially. :fire::fire:

7. Kimberly

Kimberly

Check the windows and find the worst offenders. Then get that window shrink film to seal them off.

8. Rangerbait

Rangerbait

The good news is that the main heat pump that services the main floor + basement hasn't been used at all yet. The upper floor's heat pump has been set at 68, and has only come on a handful of times.

I don't mind burning through a $hitload of wood, because that just means I get to spend more time in the woods!

9. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

My mom asked me this question as I was preparing to drop my daughter off for a night stay over. She had come back from Mazatlan and Dad was still on his way back with the truck. Just got in last night. I told her I gotta say a about a facecord...I tried to explain to her what that meant.

Its hard to say exactly but my wood bin holds about 15 cubic feet and Ive refilled it twice now? The second time I refilled, it was only half gone but I sort my wood out in here. From far left to far right its Black Locust, Doug fir ( 1/4 of the bin is filled with this at least) then Cherry, birch and maple if I mix it in, then madrona far corners.
    The cold is not necessarily a factor, but I really enjoy staying warm at home. Like its sought after. But Not once yet have I turned on the thermostat for a room heater since the stove install.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  10. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

Just over a 1/2 cord of shoulder season stuff. Stove's been running since Mid October I think. Small loads & limited reloading, but that's gonna change.

11. Rangerbait

Rangerbait

I figured it would be a challenge to keep track of exactly how much I'm burning, which is why I'm bringing it into the garage in 1-cord increments...no guesswork!

12. Grahamt

Grahamt

IMG_6768.JPG Iv burnt this pile a 3x3 same again of 3x2 and emptied both sides on the bottom of this store, both refilled with dry logs from the side of the house .
    Since July though everyone thinks I'm mad over hear.
    Leeds uk

13. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

About 1/3 cord. Expected for the season - about 10-11/3 cord. or, somewhere between 3 and 4 cord .

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

14. Midwinter

Midwinter

Same, about a face cord. Maybe a little more, because some seasoned splits from the dump go right into the stove. I'm working on 4 wheelbarrows of old maple from the dump right now. IMG_20171118_628.jpg

15. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Well from a stackwise viewpoint, I’m pretty close but I’m also pulling wood from different stacks. So its not an exact math. I like variety so Ive put a lot in different areas that are ready to go. Mostly waiting on the weather to turn better in a dry sense so I can move some around. Also have a pallet box that holds wood thats blocking one of my stacksbut it’s awkward and needs dismandling.

16. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

I was thinking that I had burned through about a little more than half a cord of shoulder maple, but then I remembered that I had moved a good amount to the basement door before I found out that I had chimney issues with that stove. Id say Ive burned about 1/3 of a cord so far.

17. Sconnie Burner

Sconnie Burner

I'm going to guess around a half cord. Was trying to keep an accurate record but didn't get it all moved from my parents before it got too cold. So I used some and refilled the same spot a couple times. Just guessing by fire box size and loading it once a day. Been burning since the week before Halloween so almost a month. I had 4 full cord set aside for this winter.

18. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Hey it was 60+ when I installed my stove and burned in it same day. It was...suffice to say ...warm?

19. Grahamt

Grahamt

26c when they installed mine well a week later an I still lit her

20. Locust Post

Locust Post

Guessing 1/3 of a cord or a smidge less. It got warm here today so no morning reload but just started it back up. Bottom is dropping out tonight and tomorrow so they say.