In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

How many cord, in logs in a 16x7x3 dump trailer?

Discussion in 'The Wood Market' started by Freakingstang, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Freakingstang

Freakingstang

How many cord of wood would be in a load of logs in a 16x7x3 dump trailer?

a seller on craigslist is selling loads of logs, so I text him and his answer was 4-5 cord, all maple in his 16x7x3 dump trailer.

not to be analytical, but my 14.5x6x3 trailer will only hold 2.03 cord of cut, split and stacked wood. I would assume logs would have a ton more air space and less volume of wood.

16x7x3=336 cubic feet. divided by 128 is 2.625 cord if it is split and stacked. so my question is how much is really in a logs for this trailer load? I've never had to figure cordage in logs before...

2. bigbarf48

bigbarf48

Split and stacked wood takes up more space than round/log form. 336 cubic feet of logs (2.6 cords) will split out to a bit more. I'm not sure the exact ratio of how much more space splits take but I would guess you would get around 3 cords out of that. I find 4-5 pretty hard to believe

splitoak likes this.
  3. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

I hauled this a while back... 7 x 18 landscape trailer.. Pallets thrown in for sides.. When all was said and done, it was about 2 cords.
    5 cords of Maple would be upwards of 15-20000 lbs... If that trailer can hold and dump that amount of wood, I want one!!!

Attached Files:

Drvn4wood, JustWood, Stinny and 3 others like this.
  4. Freakingstang

Freakingstang

I was figuring about 2 cord + or - but wasn't sure.

Drvn4wood and splitoak like this.
  5. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

Now granted, my load was a lot of tops from a logging job.. Lots of air space in there.. If I was to cut and split all the wood and load it even with the top of the pallets, 40 inches, I'd have just about 3 cords in there.. That's with subtracting the room for the pallets on the sides and front..

Drvn4wood likes this.
  6. Paul bunion

Paul bunion

16x7x3=336. 336/128=2.65 cords if you load his trailer all neat with split wood. Loosely loaded logs, 2 cords +- is a good estimate

7. Paul bunion

Paul bunion

That looks about right. But remember the logs might not sit in there nice and neat either and there could be a lot less.

Drvn4wood, splitoak and wildwest like this.
  8. bigbarf48

bigbarf48

Very true. One things for sure, that trailer ain't hauling 4-5 cords :rofl: :lol:

9. Chopy

Chopy

You said it.

Drvn4wood likes this.
  10. Freakingstang

Freakingstang

he finally responded. is a gooseneck, and he's sold 40 loads, he doesn't need my smartazz business and I should find wood elsewhere. He personally cut and stacked one of his loads and he got 4.5 cord out of it. (this was after I said 4-5 cord of maple would weigh between 16K-20K...) I still find it hard to believe.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
    Drvn4wood and bigbarf48 like this.
  11. jackel440

jackel440

I have the same size gooseneck dump trailer.With loose logs in it good luck on getting 2 cords in it.Just end up with too much air space when you load logs.

Drvn4wood likes this.
  12. firecracker_77

firecracker_77

The killer to his argument is the weight issue. Tough to argue since there are charts indicating the weight of a cord of almost any type of wood. If the trailer is not physically capable of bearing that load, he's a fraud.

Drvn4wood and wildwest like this.
  13. Doug MacIVER

Doug MacIVER

Mike from Maine posted on my 2 cord post, a truck with 180 cubic feet of loose thrown wood yields just about 1 cord. for what it's worth, seem a little light to me.

14. papadave

papadave

Uh, if he's like a lot of sellers, is he maybe talking about "face" cords?

WKEND LUMBERJAK likes this.
  15. Freakingstang

Freakingstang

wouldn't 2 cord of face cords, be like 6? so 4-5 regular cord would be 10-15?

splitoak likes this.
  16. splitoak

splitoak

I wuz gonna say 4 or 5 ricks maybe..which is bout 2 cord..so i believe your math is correct..my chart says a cord of maple is bout 3k lbs

17. splitoak

splitoak

Yea a face cord is 4x8 1 row..

18. papadave

papadave

No. Someone who thinks a "face" is a cord would be talking about 4-5 "face" cord. See how confusing this can get when correct terminology isn't used to describe things?:headbang::picard:
    I have to do the mental math like that when talking to my brother and nephew. They call 1/3 cord (face) a cord.:hair:

Stinny likes this.
  19. Freakingstang

Freakingstang

A face cord to me is a 1/3 of a cord.(16-18") I sold firewood back in the 90's til 2005ish. Riks, Face cords, and whatever other term you want to make up aren't legal terms for selling firewood, because they are not regulated. we had a legitimate business and had to deal with the state and county weights and measures. you couldn't legally sell a face cord because depending on length of logs, there was no volume standard. a cord is 128cubic feet. Most common is 16" because thats math (16x3=48") and most common used length. I had customers that wanted cords of 24" long splits, so a face cord of 24" long wood is really a half of a cord. a face cord of 8" logs is 1/2 of a 1/3 of a cord... (1/6 of a cord, lol)

that's why a said six face cords to 2 cords assuming 16" splits.

Drvn4wood, splitoak and papadave like this.
  20. papadave

papadave

Yeah, what you said.:thumbs:
    The original post mentioned the seller saying 4-5 cord. Big difference, even if it was just 1/3 cords. And yes, an even bigger difference between 4-5 "face" and 4-5 full cords.:hair:
    We've had this conversation a multitude of times. I was merely suggesting that since he was estimating, it could be quite a spread instead of an actual measured amount and until we know what term he's using..we're shootin' in the dark.
    The log loads I've gotten were actually extremely close to what I paid for after accounting for some kerf material and bark loss (there's more than some might think).
    Nice to have another member here who understands all this.

Drvn4wood, milleo and Freakingstang like this.