In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

How hot does your pellet stove get? See pic of heat gun on this Englander :-)

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by don2222, Jan 31, 2020.

1. don2222

don2222

Hello
    This Englander 25-PDV (The large one) after running 1 hour on heat level 6 and blower speed 6 is 317 Degrees where it blows the heat out.
    How hot does yours get?

Attached Files:

Thor likes this.
  2. Snowy Rivers

Snowy Rivers

Whoa...HOT....

I run our large Whitfield at a max air outlet temp (In the air stream) of about 180 F or so
    I have a surface mount Tstat on the exhaust outlet pipe and try to keep the temp at about 150/160 F about a foot from the exhaust fan outlet.

I have seen many stoves run really hard and the thermal stress on the heat tubes is just really tough on the stove.

Warping of internal parts is common as well as heavy erosion of the fire backs.

I never run the heat setting above #3 (This is 5 seconds off and 2 seconds feeding)

This is the same specs as the original Whitfield controller.

If the #3 setting will not gitterdone I fire up another stove and that handles the issue.

The little Quest that recently came home had a badly warped fire deflector plate...and the fire back is in poor shape..

Stove had been run very hard.

This type of usage will shorten the lifespan of a stove by many years.

Allowing the stove to warm up slowly will really help the longevity too....(Relative term)

Pellet stoves are a space heater by nature and can only do so much.
    Our house is easy to get the heat to move about, so one stove can do more here than in many houses with long hallways and such.

Just my take on the idea... :yes:

3. don2222

don2222

The Workshop Harman Advance is 375 degrees
    The steel used in Harmans is unbelievably strong! The best I have ever seen! That is why they can still be run if the room blower dies in what is called FirePlace mode. :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    Thor likes this.
  4. badbob

badbob

LOL, we have played this game before, and i do not remember, nor am I gonna look up my notes. Temp is relative,depending on airflow. My old Integra, in basement, if running on high, for say,an hour, you could not stand for very long in front of it, 4 foot away. But, since it now has the last upgrade programming, you could, because convection fan comes on sooner, so you could possibly stand 3.5 ft away. But,integras are heat monsters. My Accentra was similar,but since I put the latest control board(programming) in last year, in front of the stove is much cooler, but, because the convection fan comes on different, and cycles up and down, there is much more even heat in my upstairs. Massive heat coming out does not necessarily mean better. if you think it should, then you should be heating with a wood stove.

5. don2222

don2222

I agree Bob
    A 50k BTU Danson’s Pelpro, Glow Boy, and Cheap Charlie which use a 265 CFM blower does blow out more air than a 45K Napoleon which has a 130 CFM blower so the volume of heated air per minute is very different. :)
    However if you are maintaining your stove then this measurement of done when your stove is new could be a benchmark in your own tool box during the years of maintenance to see if your stove is performing as it should. :)

6. badbob

badbob

Ya lost me,Don. The CFM of the blower, in different stoves, is irrelevant, because the air passages through the stoves are different! And, newer programming has seemed to keep the output temps more relative, like a home heating system.

Ssyko likes this.
  7. don2222

don2222

I agree on your Harman and Astroflamm stoves with the more complex circuitry the CFM does not seem to matter as much but stoves with the common DHC 3000 and DHC 4000 circuit boards and other circuit boards it does make more of a difference. :)

badbob likes this.
  8. Pete Zahria

Pete Zahria

Are you guys trying to measure the air temp, with a laser thermometer?

9. don2222

don2222

According to Testo a manufacturer for many different precision thermometers, an infrared thermometer is a quick non contact accurate way to measure surface temperature,

badbob likes this.
  10. Dr.Faustus

Dr.Faustus

don, we have the same exact heat gun. I get the same temps out of both englanders, in the 300's. keep in mind you are measuring the temperature of the tube you are pointing at, not the air coming out. But its still a good idea of how hot its getting.

badbob and don2222 like this.
  11. Tullytown

Tullytown

I get 475 degrees average pointing digital therm directly at distribution vent. Harman P61A. Only running at half capacity. Blower speed at mid point. Set at 74 degrees. Feed rate#3.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  12. Tullytown

Tullytown

Last check today 560 degrees 6am this morning