In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

How far is too far?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Old Nate, Sep 30, 2020.

1. Old Nate

Old Nate

Just wondering what the limit is for you fellas? I came across a nice score of red oak but it’s a little over an hour away. Probably 7 or 8 truck loads there but I don’t go that far... Wish I owned 50 acres and could just scavenge my own property but I have to scour FB and Craigslist for a deal and lately those are non existent.

Debating if I shouldn’t lower my standards and start paying for some wood or make those long trips...

2. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I wouldnt unless you really need the wood or are jonesing to cut. Luckily wood is more than plentiful close to me being heavily wooded and densely settled. Any roadside scrounges...state/local cutting around power lines etc?
    I did drive an hour and a half across Connecticut a couple Summers ago to cut a load for an aging friend. In return i came home with a heaping PU full. That is my other question...how much can you come home with? Ill grossly overload but all within ten minutes of home.

3. In the Pines

In the Pines

2 hr round trip isn't worth a pickup/1 ton dump worth of wood imo..
    I see your in western pa, I'd think there has to be woods somewhat closer than an hour away?

4. billb3

billb3

An hour there and back is 2 hours. AT 57/58¢ per mile that's $68.4 to $69.60 theoretical wear and tear on your vehicle for each 120 mile trip.
    That goes a long way towards just purchasing firewood or logs if they are available.
    I really can't see driving long distances for firewood . I've done it in the past - about 25 miles each way - for dead standing red oak, plus the truck was borrowed from work . Wasn't putting the wear and tear on my own vehicle.
    If your vehicle costs are lower ( or even the same) and the firewood is free/cheap and firewood is expensive where you are at - maybe it is worth it.

5. Old Nate

Old Nate

I have a Silverado crew cab. Short bed... we have plenty of woods in western pa, just getting to where I’m allowed to be and finding a deal lately has been tough it seems.

Took down a bunch of maple at a friend’s place last year and luckily I have enough for this year and next but I need to re-stock.

Just hit a dry spell right now.

6. farmer steve

farmer steve

Check into permits to cut on state forest land.

7. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

I wouldn't drive an hour one way for a load of wood, much less for several loads of wood driving back and forth. Maybe if I lived out on the plains or some place where trees are scarce it would be different, but around me there are plenty of trees to be had. Most of what I get is within 15 minutes of home, with the exception being wood I find on my 30 mile one-way commute to work. Even then, I work it into my schedule since I know I'll be in the area anyway. I'll leave a little early for work that day, make a pit stop, cut and load. I know western Pennsylvania is loaded with trees (my father in law lives in Butler and I remember seeing quite a bit of woods out that way) I don't see much reason to travel too far to get firewood. Besides, it's considered bad practice in a lot of circles to move firewood long distances. That's another way bugs/pests/fungal infections get spread. You're better off burning locally harvested trees.

8. TheJohnHarris

TheJohnHarris

If I didn't have my own wood lot or free/inexpensive good wood, I think I would get a pellet stove.

9. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

Normally I don’t travel very far at all. I have 21 acres and have scored several nice scrounges within 2-3 miles of my house. I did just make an exception for two scrounges an hour away for a full cord of Black Locust. Only because I wanted to try it and it’s pretty non existent around where I live.

10. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Do it rent a 20 foot u haul one trip..
    I might be a red neck:whistle:

11. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

I've considered doing this myself, if I ever came across a massive score for free. Prep everything beforehand and rent it just for one day. That would probably be worth it, especially if it's not far too from home. Cleaning out the back of the U-Haul afterwards wouldn't be too much fun though :hair:

12. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Push broom and high output air gun!!

13. Old Nate

Old Nate

I’m going to look into permits for cutting on state forest land. I do wish, however, that I could go on the back forty and find all my BTUs that way.

Maybe one day.

14. Locust Post

Locust Post

Try stopping in to some dairy farms or beef farms and asking if they have any fence lines or downed trees that they need cleaned up. Don't give up if the first few say no, just thank them and leave your contact info if they will take it.

15. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

^^^x 2
    Just make sure when done no brush in fields!! If you clean it up nice.. farmers will let you cut all wood you want!!

16. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Blower

17. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Yea I wouldn't go that far unless I took a big trailer to get a bunch at once or like said rent a cheap box truck and cram that thing full.

18. jrider

jrider

I would only think about going that far if I was extremely desperate and it would still take a lot to talk myself into doing it

19. Dakota Hoarder

Dakota Hoarder

Old Nate consider listing on Craigslist or Facebook market place. I’ve had luck with a couple decent finds. Still contact them when I have time.

20. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Longest trip I've made was about 1.5 hour round trip...truck and dump trailer, so the better part of two cords scored...mostly dead down ash...wouldn't have went so far, but it was to help out a coworker mainly.