In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

How big a bar can I run on a 45cc saw w/ skip-tooth

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by mrfancyplants, Apr 4, 2021.

1. mrfancyplants

mrfancyplants

It’s very rare that I run into a trunk larger than a 16” bar can handle, but I do know a big locust log that could use some more length for. 16-20” is recommended for the saw in the book. Can I go bigger with a skip tooth chain?
    I here bar oil can be an issue, but what if I dropped or sprayed some bar oil on the nose sprocket before I start and periodically during the saw.

thank you!

2. Chud

Chud

Another thing to consider is you can finish a cut from the other side of the log. 20” bar can cut 36” wood or more. That’s what I’d do instead of spending for a bar and chain I rarely use.

3. mrfancyplants

mrfancyplants

Yup, I know the two step, or three or four step sometimes..this is a big locust log that I already carved off two cord from last year. Someone else got more than a cord too, and maybe a cord left from the thickest part of the trunk.
    I’ll try to grab a photo.

4. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

I wouldn't kill the saw, and a bar, running something the oil pump can't keep up with. Stick with what the manufacture recommends or maybe +2-4" longer. Skip tooth chain doesn't open the door to run a 28" on a 45cc saw.

5. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Looks like I may be commuting to Gaithersburg for work again on a somewhat regular basis. I have a long bar and maybe I could make a couple cuts for you some evening? How close to there are you?

6. mrfancyplants

mrfancyplants

23 min barring traffic. But it may be a little tricky coordinating getting permission on the site again. Someone else has dibs on the rounds that are cut and part of the reason why the longer bar will come in handy. I appreciate the offer and will PM you if/when I get permission again.
    The manual goes from 16-20 “ and I was thinking 22 or 24” should give me enough to work with.
    Here are some pictures of where the trunk splits off from last year. it gets thicker where they join back up. F41664E6-6798-4E14-A28D-D942BB651D86.jpeg

Attached Files:

7. rotorburn

rotorburn

I will concur with the others here and say there is no replacement for displacement. I had only an 18 inch 345 for years and did buck some big ones, but the time, effort and saw wear were real. I put a 20 inch on that saw and felt pretty underpowered with a sharp chain. Maybe unrelated, but that saw ended up with a snapped crankshaft so now I mostly follow manufacturers guidelines.

8. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

Yes on the first line of this reply " there is no replacement for displacement "
    How big a bar on 45cc = not big enough.

Honestly I would probably say 18 inches max , anything much bigger puts a lot of stress on internals and oiling also becomes an issue. Even a skip tooth won't do much to help the oiling since the pump only puts out what it can.

9. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

This might be a good excuse to purchase a bigger saw, to add to the one you have.

On the the other hand, if your saw is actually rated for a 20" bar, and you felt you just really needed to, I'd bolt a 24" bar on there, and mount a Stihl square ground full skip and go for it. I just wouldn't crowd it, and also maybe not try to cut with the whole bar cutting wood, you could rock the bar up and down and still get more reach, but not really have to pull wood with the complete bar. But is it worth it? And it might depend on the particular saw you own, now. If you bought a longer bar, would it fit another bigger saw, that you might buy in the future. That way, your investment in the longer bar and chain would still be of value, to have for a new bigger saw in the future.

But what size chain are you running now? Is it 3/8 pitch or .325? If it's currently .325, you will need to change the drive sprocket, also, because you will probably need to go to 3/8 x 50 chain. Which will add more expense and etc. On second thought it might be more trouble then it's worth. I think I would also take note as to how well your saw oils your current bar. You might be able to help out your oiler by running thinner bar oil, winter grade or something. I run winter grade oil on one of my saws and it does help, some.

But don't pay too much attention to what I say, because I am opinionated just like many others and I am also a long bar and skip tooth fan. But you might be going too far to put a 24" on it, you would know pretty quick, if you tried it.

10. Nixon

Nixon

You can probably get away with a slightly larger bar using skip .But not anything really large . Remember , skip is not 1/2 the amount of cutters . It’s 1/3 . Semi skip is 1/5 less as compared to full comp chain . So, you might go 20” for very occasional use . Just watch the oiling .

11. mrfancyplants

mrfancyplants

Even though 20” is ok per the manual? Wouldn’t 22” be ok using winter oil? I’ll measure the log and won’t go any longer than I need to, and there is a good chance 20 or 22”would be enough.

amateur cutter likes this.
  12. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

When i had my MS290 i ran a 16" bar and ran into larger wood. Bought a B&C with full comp chain. I was disappointed when i tried to cut an 18" ash log with it. It did cut it but not like i expected. Its a 56cc saw in the farm/ranch category.
    I think anything over 20" is beyond the limits of the saw even if you can find a bar that will fit. The saw probably runs .325 chain and the longest ive ever seen is 20". I ended up getting a bigger saw.

Can you rent a bigger saw MFP?

amateur cutter likes this.
  13. mrfancyplants

mrfancyplants

I could, but I think part of the fun is getting the tools ready. It is .325, so maybe I go for a 20” bar and pick up a full skip chain. This echo was running nice at 18” and full comp on some solid wet red oak.
    20” is ok per the manual, and given that I had 16” last time it tried, maybe 20” will be enough to get me through the thick part of the trunk, if no all the way to the root spread. I could pre-noodle off some chunks too, if I get desperate.

amateur cutter and buZZsaw BRAD like this.
  14. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

As big as you want.. you can put monster truck tires on a Toyota Corolla.

15. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Well it is BL and worth the effort. Keep us updated :popcorn:
    Funny thing is ive never bought full skip chain only the one that came with a 36" bar ive now sold

amateur cutter and mrfancyplants like this.
  16. mrfancyplants

mrfancyplants

I just got a cheap 20” Poulon bar off eBay, but the only “20" chain .325 skip .050 78dl” that I can find is full-chisel which I’ve never used or sharpened. Can I use my new 2-1 tool for sharpening? Just angle up towards the point at about 10 degrees?

amateur cutter and buZZsaw BRAD like this.
  17. Chud

Chud

Post some pics when you put that new bar and chain on the saw. I’ve never used the 2-1, but I’d guess it will work just as well on full chisel.

18. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I dont think it matters as long as you use the correct file size which in your case should be 3/16.
    I use full chisel on all my saws. Cuts faster but dulls faster. I go 30* on most of my sharpening. My 5/32 guide is 30* and i freehand for 3/16 & 7/32"
    The Harbor Freight "Dremel" has 25, 30 & 35* guide marks. I use that when the chain gets really dulled...ie metal, rocks etc.

19. mrfancyplants

mrfancyplants

Updated the bar and chain. And tuned the carb a little better and it went through an old oak branch like butter.

Attached Files:

20. Chud

Chud

Looking good! :thumbs:

mrfancyplants and amateur cutter like this.