In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Horsefly trap

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by Midwinter, May 9, 2019.

1. Midwinter

Midwinter

Homemade Horsefly Trap

2. fishingpol

fishingpol

Thanks for the post. My Aunt has greenheads down by the salt marshes pretty bad for a few weeks.

I believe the towns puts out the box traps, but I have never seen the design of them. I believe greenheads fly up from underneath where animal fur is thinner. How they are trapped in the boxes is unknown to me. I'll do some research though.

3. fishingpol

fishingpol

4. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Those Greenheads pack a mean bite!!

5. billb3

billb3

My sister is allergic to them. Or some bit of them. She'll blow up like a balloon if she gets bit by one.

6. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

I just scream and cry like a little girl, thankfully not allergic!!

7. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

“Like a little girl...?” Oh, my bad, I thought you were an overgrown little girl....

:whistle:

:rofl: :lol:

:D

JK, B :wacky:

8. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

9. fishingpol

fishingpol

Saw a horse fly on the stornoway screen today. I built a trap a few weeks ago and set it out this afternoon in the small clearing in the sun. By 6 pm I caught 2 deer flies. Hot weather for the rest of the week, so I will see how it goes. They say the flies like movement to attract them to the trap. I'll rig something up. I need more brown paint too.

20190701_185419.jpg

10. fishingpol

fishingpol

Update on the trap. I emptied the collector container today. A handful of horse flies and two deerflies. The deerflies are very aggressive here and I did some more reading up.

20190720_083319.jpg

I stapled a black trash bag around the outside of the trap. Flies like the color and it makes them zone in on the heat it creates. I also added a hanging coffee container with a wrap if bituthane on it. The container moves in the breeze attracting flies and if they land on it, they may get stuck. If I can reduce the numbers we will be happy. Mosquitos are minor compared to the deerflies. I'll update if I get good results.

20190720_091847.jpg

11. fishingpol

fishingpol

I bought a sticky trap for biting flies over the weekwnd and hung it out at the edge of the woods. What a huge difference in two days. I caught about a dozen deer flies and other biting flies. I can walk out to the back of the property without much bother now.

20190723_175219.jpg

12. fishingpol

fishingpol

Deer flies started up today. Picked up a sticky trap and set it near the swamp.

I'll get the horse fly trap out this weekend and make a few modifications before setting it up.

13. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

I ordered this about 6 weeks ago, it showed up today, they were sold out on just about every model, this was in stock. I know Horkn swears by his. The black flies and mosquitos are not bad at all this year, wondering if this thing works on deer flies and horse flies, I really hate those guys.

Attached Files:

14. fishingpol

fishingpol

We have more of a deer fly problem here with the swamp next door. The sticky trap works on motion and color. For $9.00. We do get horse flies from the farm next door with open fields. Black flies are not bad, and we do have mosquitos that are annoying. A screen porch is in the plans for the fall.

20200619_170748.jpg

15. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

I'll see if I can find some of those, they would be good for on the trails.

We screened in a corner of our porch last year. I went with curtains instead of screens on frames because our porch doesn't have railings and I dont want the screens up all year and have to deal with a place to store them.

Attached Files:

16. fishingpol

fishingpol

Very nice. Great spot for the dogs to relax.

Our plan is like what basod has going on with a gable roof out. Ours will be two steps down to grade level with a flat river stone patio. We used the screen tight system at the last house with stainless screws holding the tracks and it worked great. We will save coin by not needing railings too.

17. billb3

billb3

The deer flies started up their attacks here a day or so ago as well.
    I always walked around waving one of those battery powered fly swatters. They would attack it and do themselves in. The first one I had with a very thin flimsy frame that was prone to falling apart worked much better than the replacement with the heavy duty, bulky frame.
    I'll have to check out the sticky trap(s).
    We had a dry cool Spring so not much of a mosquito problem this year.(so far) Not none, but mosquito spray works. It helps to make sure there is no standing water allowed to pool up anywhere.

Dunno if the japanese beetles will be a bother this year as some animal (likely a skunk) has been busy digging hundreds of holes in the front lawn. Maybe it got them all from the number of little holes.

18. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

Can you get any of the golden stuff where you are, it is at least cheaper than good beef for baiting and dispatching said flies a little savage and possibly not legal.

19. fishingpol

fishingpol

East wind off the ocean today. It looks like some greenheads got pushed inland. It wasn't in the trap yesterday.

20200716_181817.jpg

The sticky trap is catching deerflies. I can go out back to the woods without getting attacked. Decent results.

20. Horkn

Horkn

I've seen all sorts of flys dead in my dynatrap.

Have you seen any dead deer or horse flies in it yet?