In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Hookaroon

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by 94BULLITT, Dec 17, 2015.

1. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

Who makes a nice hookaroon? I'm pretty sure I want one with a axe type handle since I will be using it to handle firewood. Are there any brands that I should stay away from?

Chazsbetterhalf likes this.
  2. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

I picked one up at Labonville a few months ago with some chaps, I'm pretty happy with it, it's very light and the tip is replaceable, iirc it was around $40

Attached Files:

3. Paul bunion

Paul bunion

Peavey makes a nice tool also.

Deer Meadow Farm and 94BULLITT like this.
  4. fuelrod

fuelrod

94BULLITT likes this.
  5. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

DaveGunter I like the hookaroon you got and the replaceable tip is nice. It looks like it has a 28'' handle and I am looking for something 36."

Paul bunion The peavy hookaroons look nice.

fuelrod Which Hookaroon did you get? I have a pulp hook from northern tool. It works great. Roughneck High Carbon Steel Log Hook | Log Skidding Accessories| Northern Tool + Equipment These short forestor pickaroons would be nice to have too. Forester Pick-A-Roon | Hookaroons | Log Handling Tools

I am now reconsidering the logrite even though it has a round handle. I really like the looks of the tip, the aluminum handle should last forever and it is american made.

Barcroftb and Horkn like this.
  6. Barcroftb

Barcroftb

Brad38, Horkn and 94BULLITT like this.
  7. A Visitor

A Visitor

Lots of good examples listed . I like the idea of American made also, there is definitely different ergonomics in the euro Sappies. I like the Ox head with 32" / handle. Ochsenkopf OX 173 Hand Sappie Wood | Hookaroons | Log Handling Tools Down side is the handle isn't a standard US size and it felt a little thick before I thinned it down. They have become a "must have" for friends and I.
    I would try to use any you are considering before you buy- and buy two.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Deer Meadow Farm

Deer Meadow Farm

Logrite makes a good product, but I like a wooden handle. Peavey is kind of the go-to brand in the North East for traditional style tools...

Woodsnwoods, 94BULLITT and fuelrod like this.
  9. fuelrod

fuelrod

I see that stump in the backround,
    that sombeech blew right over:rofl: :lol:

JackHammer, Chvymn99, Horkn and 3 others like this.
  10. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

I'm a fan of LogRite stuff. Stihl dealers carry the tools in orange.

[​IMG]

11. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

What is the best length to get? I'm 6'2''. I was thinking at least 36". It seems that 30'' and 32'' are pretty popular. I know the longer it is the harder the wood will be to pick up but with one that is 32'' I would have to bend slightly for it to touch the ground. If I went with the logrite I could go with a longer handle then I choke up on it if I needed to pick up a heavy round. One of the main things I plan on doing with it is loading firewood from a pile into a dump trailer.

I really like the looks of that one.

I do like the looks of a couple of the peavy models.

I like the curve of the handle on the Ochsenkopf OX 173. It looks like it has very good ergonomics. I don't know anybody that has a pickaroon that I could try out.

I think the logrite would be very durable but I am concerned about how the tool would handle. I'm not sure if the straight pipe handle would work as good as one with an ax type handle. I already have a stihl/ logrite cant hook.

Cut4fun, Woodsnwoods and Horkn like this.
  12. Barcroftb

Barcroftb

Wait a bit and if santa gives me a present instead of coal, I'd be happy to let you know what I thought of it. Although I am a bit shorter than you @ 5'11"

Seems like you would be able to fondle the rebranded log rite @ a stihl dealer near you. For the rest I'm not sure.

If you cant find anything localy, you could always find an axe with a similar handle length and imagine what it might feel like as a hookaroon. If you bought something you hated, you could probably sell it in the classifieds and recoup most of your cost.

94BULLITT and Horkn like this.
  13. A Visitor

A Visitor

I've used the logrite and don't like the round handle. It doesn't orient and is just a tad too thick for me. Axe shaped handles work better- there is a reason why you don't see round handles on hammers. The head is too light IMO for sticking in some woods. It might work good for sliding slabs off a mill or pulling splits to the gate of a truck.
    For moving/ stacking splits and smaller rounds, working at a splitter- I like a shorter handle. I bought the OX Head sappie with the short handle and it is a little heavy with the head being the same exact size as the one on the 32".
    If I had to buy USA- the longer pick style Dixie or the Peavey would be my choice. Because my motto is "Why buy of ten bucks when you can make for fifty" lol- I made my own .
    Made from China Freight hammers with forged and welded on heads. Even made a magnetic carrier to keep it handy and out of the way . And of course a kydex sheath.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

OhioStihl, Ronaldo, Chvymn99 and 5 others like this.
  14. Barcroftb

Barcroftb

That's really slick!

Chvymn99 and Horkn like this.
  15. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

I hope santa brings you the hookeroon. He told me to figure out which one I want and he would pay for it:D

I don't think the stihl dealers here stock the hookeroon.

Last night I was using a hammer with a 32'' handle and using a tape measure at different lengths to see how much I had to bend over.

I was also concerned about the round handle on the log right not "self orienting." I had read complaints that the handle was too big. I wonder if it is the same pipe they use on the cant hook and other tools? If it is it would definitely be too big for hookeroon.

Right now I am thinking about the ox 173 or the peavy holbrock. I wish peavy had a picture of one with a long handle. I think I like the curve on the tip of the OX 173 better.

I like your hand sappies, you did a very nice job making them.

Barcroftb and Horkn like this.
  16. HDRock

HDRock

17. A Visitor

A Visitor

Wow, you have been doing your homework hahaha. If I knew the Peavey had the Hollbrook style head - I would have bought that stead of the OX.
    Well maybe in addition to.
    Looking at the Peavey site - they sell heads only for $28 and replacement handles in your ranges for under $14. You could buy different handles and get exactly what you want after trying them first hand- and still be within the cost the retailers sell them for with factory hung heads. The 15" and 18" handles would seem handy to me.
    They definitely work better in pairs when dragging rounds ,cut limbs or walking with splits- sort of balances you out.
    I had the same problem when looking for picaroons. Nobody I knew used them and I couldn't find them used or at garage sales/ flea markets. Except for the logrite/ stihl which I didn't care for. It be fair - the one I used had the straight not the curved tip I sometimes see. Even with a better tip, the handle didn't work for me.

94BULLITT, HDRock and Barcroftb like this.
  18. Barcroftb

Barcroftb

Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
    94BULLITT and HDRock like this.
  19. Firewood Bandit

Firewood Bandit

Logrite makes quality stuff. I have two right now and another that was a cheap one, it's as big around as a bat and I don't like it. (one you'd loan out)

Ronaldo and 94BULLITT like this.
  20. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

Nope. Much smaller diameter straight round pipe.

94BULLITT likes this.