In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Hookaroon recommendations?

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by Softwood, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Softwood

Softwood

New guy here, how can I have been making/burning wood for the last 15+ years and never seen/gotten one?

Any recommendations on brands and places to purchase? (I see there's a lot of love for all things Fiskars on this forum).

Or are they overrated and I've gone this long without one and don't need one?

Great forum by the way!!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  2. JRHAWK9

JRHAWK9

I just bought and used for the first time this weekend the 28" Fiskar's Hookaroon. I mainly used it to drag fallen limbs out of the way and to tip up larger rounds so I could half/quarter them with my Isocore before loading them into my ATV trailer. Also used it when unloading the ATV trailer to drag the pieces closer to me. It's the only Hookaroon I have ever used, so I can't compare it to other brands.

3. Ronaldo

Ronaldo

My brother and I both have the Fiskars and like them a lot.

metalcuttr, Softwood and M2theB like this.
  4. Paul bunion

Paul bunion

Definitely not an overrated tool. It’s a back saver for sure.

Can’t go wrong with a one from Peavey.

5. Lennyzx11

Lennyzx11

I have the blue Logrite which makes the one Stihl sells in orange paint.
    I like it the best.
    Also have the 3n1 LogOx which is a great integrated system but is a heavier pickaroon I’ve noticed.

I’m currently playing with one I made from a 3/8” bolt and a thick broom handle.

For testing, I walk out to the wood pile, pick up a 16-18” round on two of them and carry back to the shop about 100 ft. It’s nice not to bend over.

I want to try a fiskars. Nothing heard on here but good about them.

Why so many? I want one to be in reach on all my vehicles because they are so handy.

Edit. I know it’s not very efficient this way as I’m walking past the tractor with grapple and the other tractor with a carryall to go get them.
    But it’s exercise I tell myself.
    And it gives me ammo to play with the new (to me) electric wood splitter in the shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Softwood

Softwood

Thanks for the responses everyone!

Well I'm a cheap SOB and decided to make one at work to see if I'd actually use one first before I bought one (I had to pay $1 for scrap and get one of the guys to weld the bolt on for me). It's 32", I can cut it down if needed. I only messed around with some already split stuff off the stack. Seems pretty handy. I'm waiting for my orange paint and athletic tape to make a less slick handle.
    D83F5E1A-2D39-488D-81EE-B36945435674.jpeg 6C07C947-4F9A-441C-B08D-CA8C01764666.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  7. woody5506

woody5506

It's a useful tool, though I don't use them nearly as much as others seem to here. My Fiskars actually just broke a couple weeks ago, still waiting on the warranty/replacement. I have a feeling I'll be waiting a while.

metalcuttr and Softwood like this.
  8. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

Logrite for sure , made right here in good ole Connecticut.
    Really useful when unloading the truck or trailer , just hook'em and drag the log to the back , saves a lot of climbing or reaching.

9. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

For unloading a truck or trailer this tool is fantastic!
    And welcome to the FHC Softwood

10. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

Peavey in Maine makes wood handle pickeroons in various length handles I have a 6ft handle and a 3 ft handle and use them a lot JB

Softwood and metalcuttr like this.
  11. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

I would just as soon not cut as to cut without my pickaroon.

Softwood likes this.
  12. Softwood

Softwood

Can't wait to try my new tools this weekend.

metalcuttr likes this.
  13. arizonasportsman

arizonasportsman

I have a wood handled cant hook and timber jack from Peavey and I’m really happy with these. They are both built like a tank. But I recommend the Fiskars hookaroon. Great size and weight balance. Of course, all of this is personal opinion. Bottom line - they are all great tools that make turning a log into firewood more enjoyable.

14. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

Just recently found another pickaroon head. I sand blasted the rust off and mounted it on a pole axe handle that the I had laying around. I didn't have a roll pin handy for the keeper hole in the head so I used a carriage bolt and peened the end over. This is about 10" longer than my other pickaroons and will be used to pull wood out of the trailer or pickup. This style head is excellent for all around use. Once you start using one to manipulate rounds and splits you will feel lost without it! pickaroon1.jpg pickaroon2.jpg

Attached Files:

Winston, Ronaldo, Softwood and 4 others like this.
  15. unbidden

unbidden

Agree, I like the wood handle.

metalcuttr likes this.
  16. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

Here's one I made out of a broken Kelly True Temper Perfect double bit ax. It's probably not the best Hookaroon maybe more of a Pickaroon but I really like it, and almost always have it in one hand when loading firewood. I never go to the woods without it. And I really like having the ax bit available to me on the other side. Very useful. I later shoehorned a curved single bit ax handle into it with the curve to the Pickaroon side. It's a little easier to pull with it that way, but I can't find a picture of it, at the moment with the new handle in it. Wait a minute, that first picture does show the singlebit handle in it after all.

Ax Handle Change to Pickatoon AX.jpg IMG_0120.jpg

17. PlumbSplitter

PlumbSplitter

I use the Wood Mizer pickaroon and Peavy. Both are steel , made in USA and solidly built. They make moving logs and rounds so much easier.

metalcuttr likes this.