In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Hookaroon (Pickaroon) suggestions

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by Old Nate, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Old Nate

Old Nate

Ive read a few reviews and was initially going to go with the Fiskars Hookaroon but I don’t like how light it looks. Then I turned to the Council and thought it looked a little long and heavy and the tip seems dull ( not a huge deal I can sharpen it). Then I saw the Ochsenkopf Ox 173 32 inch handle and to me it looks like the best but I can’t find too much information on it...

What do you fellas think?

2. unclefess

unclefess Guest

3. Horkn

Horkn

I've got a fiskars hookaroon and I like it a lot. It's a lot sturdier than it looks.

RichE23ACR, Chaz, Ronaldo and 8 others like this.
  4. Old Nate

Old Nate

Horkn, What size rounds can you pick up with it?

5. tree killer

tree killer

Peavey manufacturing 20 minutes from home. Many styles to choose from and different handle sizes. I have a 30 inch Hume. Works fine for as much as I use it

6. Horkn

Horkn

That depends on what kind of wood it is, and how dry it is. For heavy hardwood that is green and unseasoned, I don't try to pick up the round, but rather use it to drag the rounds to where I can grab it.

For splits, even big splits like I like, it will pick up anything, even heavy hickory, oak and beech.

7. Winston

Winston

8. Nixon

Nixon

I have a 24oz. Dixie hookaroon ,and a Logrite hookaroon . I like the Dixie a bit better than the Logrite as it’s a bit heavier at the head and sinks into wood a bit easier . Having said that , the Logrite is always on my tractor as it is completely impervious to weather .

9. leoht

leoht

I have 2 of the Fiskars hookaroon’s

[​IMG]

They are really good. I also have a muller but I prefer the fiskars I have lifted some really big rounds with them, it’s amazing what they can do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. NYCountry

NYCountry

I like mine as well.

11. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

I’ve been trying to find a hookaroon since early summer. Checked out every farm supply store, and outdoor power equipment shop I’ve come across. The only thing I found was a fiskars at a bomgaars 65 miles away. The last weekend of September there is a event called the “Junk Jaunt” which is basically 300 miles of garage sales and flea markets, figured surely I could find one or two at that. Nope . I know I could have ordered one online, but it kinda turned into a quest of sorts. Well Saturday I checked another bomggars store and they had one so I grabbed it. The folks here seem to like theirs, so hopefully I’ll get along with it too. Now I’ll probably be running across them all the time

12. Old Nate

Old Nate

I think I'm going to have to buy one online... I want to hold one in my hand and make a selection but I don't think it's meant to be.

The two I like are the Garret Wade 31.5" and the Ochsenkopf 173 Ox

13. GrJfer

GrJfer

I really like my Hipps hookaroon. Handmade in the usa. Jeff Hipps, Hipps Tool & Design, 146 Bridgeport Road, Curwensville, Penn. 16833 (ph 814 236-3600; [email protected]).

IMG_20161218_113443273_HDR.jpg IMG_20190921_155258.jpg

14. saewoody

saewoody

I think the fisksars is the way to go based on price and capability. I do wish they made a longer one. I also have the Council, which is longer, but it’s fairly heavy which makes it hard to swing accurately with one hand. . You could never effectively pick up splits with it. And as others have said, the tip is dull. The fiskars you can just flip with your wrist into just about any piece of wood, large or small.

15. jtstromsburg

jtstromsburg

I have a council tools one and a peavy mfg one. Much prefer the peavy, but that’s mostly because it’s sharp so maybe if I’d touch up the council one, it’d be gooder too. Peavy was a great gift from secret Santa on here a couple years back! Use them both often! Here’s the peavy resting after a couple hours work assisting me with this pile
    [​IMG]

And a better view with it after unwrapping it.
    [​IMG]

Chaz, Chazsbetterhalf, Marvin and 4 others like this.
  16. Winston

Winston

Logright makes the stihl pickaroons, they give a couple of options for length, both longer than Fiskars. I can’t speak highly enough of the longer one, assuming you have an 8’ bed. Most importantly made in the USA, they will last and don’t need a gimmick warranty to entice buyers.

17. blacktail

blacktail

Logrite. It'll pick up rounds as heavy as I can handle. This load of alder was from trees the county cut, bucked, and left on the roadside. I was sticking them with the pickaroon, dragging them to the truck, and swinging them up into the bed.
    IMG_20190129_162108263.jpg
    It also saved me tons (literally) of bending when I had 2 maples cut down that yielded over 10 cords.

18. Cheepbeer

Cheepbeer

I use a claw hammer

19. saewoody

saewoody

Out of curiosity, how big a hammer is this? A typical 16oz homeowner style hammer? Or something bigger? I could see a couple of long 24oz framing hammers coming in handy when wanting to pick up two rounds at a time.

Chaz and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  20. Cheepbeer

Cheepbeer

Sorry, haven’t been on in a while. Yup 16 or 20 oz harbor freight rippin hammer. You gotta sharpen it a bit. I stick ‘em in the end, snatch it up in my left arm, stick another and carry it like a bale ‘o hay. I’ve got one my neighbor picked up on the street in Toledo that’s only got one claw, it’s my favorite.