In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Homemade Chimney Sweeper

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Kimberly, Oct 15, 2021.

1. Kimberly

Kimberly

I thought I would share my homemade chimney sweeper. I made it from cpvc plumbing pipe and some fittings. One of the poles has an insert so it can be driven by a drill. The sections screw together and when I need to go higher up the chimney I just unscrew and screw in a section. I have used it for a few years and I originally had a whip head on it. This year I decided to try a chimney brush on it. I ordered the brush and then had to figure a way to mount it to the poles. The adapter is a bit ugly because I used fittings that I already had on hand. Later I can see about replacing the adapter. I have yet to try it; the plan is on Saturday if I have time but while it is going to turn chilly it is not going to turn cold yet here in the southern part of the Kangaroo state.

I have to clean from the bottom up and it has always been nasty. In the past, I have just let the soot fall out the bottom but this year I am going to see about taping a bag or something to reduce the amount of soot I breathe in (even with a dust mask it seems to enter my airways).

chimney sweeper.jpg

2. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

That works well...

Kimberly and Eric Wanderweg like this.
  3. moresnow

moresnow

Kitchen size trash bag with a hole up from the bottom to leave room for the junk. Still leaks a bit for me but not bad. I toss a old bed sheet over the stove to keep grit out of the fans if equipped.

Kimberly and brenndatomu like this.
  4. yooperdave

yooperdave

I was wondering just how that siding in your chimney pic got so dirty.

Keep that cpvc stored properly as sunlight will accelerate the aging of it and cause it to become more brittle sooner.

brenndatomu likes this.