In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

High liability or complete trust in a stranger...

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by SpeedShop64, Feb 17, 2020.

1. SpeedShop64

SpeedShop64

This is kind of a long one...

My girlfriend and I went up to Lake Placid for a few days for her birthday. Her birthday lands on the day before Valentines day so I consider myself fortunate I get to combine both into one :cool:... Placid is about a 3.5 hours drive for us. We got to the front desk at the hotel we were staying at Wed night. Proceed to start checking in and the women behind the desk said "if you guy's need anymore wood for the Fireplace just call us and we will bring some up".. My attention peaked right up and I had to ask and make sure I heard her right. They had an actual wood burning fireplace in our room. Not a gas fireplace or electric... A wood burning Fireplace. They gave you the "crackling" logs to place in there and light. Nice ambience and a little heat with about a 3 hours burn time. Sure they made it pretty idiot proof but that's a lot of trust in a total stranger. All I kept thinking was I hope our neighbor doesn't come back from the hotel bar half in the bag and start throwing random combustibles in the fireplace trying to impress his ol lady with his caveman skills.

My theory was that the hotel believes in the "honor system" and trust people with fire(hard to do now a days). Or they have a good insurance policy! Either way we had a great time and I ran the fireplace for 3 nights when we would get back from dinner. IMG_3410placid.jpg

2. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

That’s illegal, Cuomo and several black helicopters are on their way. That place will be closed tonight! :rofl: :lol:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  3. Felter

Felter Banned

restaurant near me has a wood burning fireplace going on cold days. pulled in one day to a dumpster fire. I immediately said it was probably from someone putting coals in the dumpster. friend next to me said no way would anyone do that. asked the staff when we got inside. sure enough!! someone put coals in the dumpster. :picard: sometimes the staff doesn't even know the dangers.

4. mirnldi

mirnldi

Watch someone’s recycling can melt to the ground one day. Yup. Hot coals in a plastic garbage can equals trouble

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Dazza95

Dazza95

Lots of pubs and restaurants around here have open fires or stoves and unfortunately they seem to the most common places to have chimney fires. I can’t say for sure why this is but I should think that a lack of operator knowledge is a big factor; perhaps staff who don’t usually have a wood burning appliance is something to do with it. One pub near here regularly burns coal with lots of huge wet logs sizzling on top whilst acrid smoke pours out of the chimney.

6. SpeedShop64

SpeedShop64

We have a lot of Bars and restaurants around our area that have wood stoves. We stopped at one on our way home from Lake Placid and I watched one of the male servers go over to a old fisher double door stove and open the doors and stoke it up without opening the damper first. I'm not sure if it is ignorance on the owners to assume that anyone knows how to operate wood burning appliance. Or if it's the help that just isn't paying attention. I know there are only a few people I trust to touch my wood stove in my shop or my coal stove in the basement.

7. jo191145

jo191145

Granted it was long ago but skiing in Vermont the rentals had real wood and a fireplace. No idea if they still offer that.
    I’ve seen rentals up north with woodstoves and a supply. Maybe they just haven't realized how stupid some of society can be yet?

8. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

:eek: Im lost here.
    How does the neighbor have access to your fireplace?

Oh! Maybe i don't wanna know...:zip:

:D

9. billb3

billb3

Affordability may weed out a lot of the risk from the wrong side of the tracks.

10. woody5506

woody5506

I'm always surprised at stuff like this too (maybe cus we are both from upstate NY) seems to me unless you're in a rural area so many people have ditched wood long ago. Whenever I tell someone I put a wood stove in at our house a few years ago I get the typical spiel "oh you're gonna convert to gas in no time" blah blah blah.

I gotta say though, there's something so cheap about going to a place like the Adirondaks and seeing any type of stove/fireplace that ISN'T wood. Sorry but if you're surrounded by almost 19 thousand square miles of forest the last thing I wanna see is an electric fireplace!!!

11. ironpony

ironpony

Felter
    is this considered political ?? Asking for a friend.

12. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

Hi Dazza 95, Shropshire born and Shropshire bred here, whereabouts are you ? :cheers:

13. Rich L

Rich L

My wife and I go up to the time share in October each fall.This past year the fireplace we loved in the living room was sealed up.Management said someone caused a fire in one of the unit and now a years old tradition is no more.

14. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

Took the wife to Estes Park Co. For a special birthday weekend (her 50th) was surprised when booking a cabin ahead of time that it has a REAL wood fireplace. I had to buy a couple bundles of wood at convenience store and didn’t have the best luck ( think the wood was a little bit moist) with it, but still managed a couple romantic fires. When we walked in the first time you could smell wood smoke, didn’t bother me. But one comment in the guest register the author wrote “ the whole place reeked of smoke & they ought to get ten gallons of gas and finish the job”
    I imagine many of the guests don’t have a clue about wood & fireplaces so stands to reason that it gets smoked up pretty regularly.
    We enjoyed it and I would go back as soon as my wallet recovers

15. Rich L

Rich L

Ya they need to give out instruction on how to light the fireplace starting with open the draft and what and where it is.

16. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

Actually there was an instruction sheet. More kindling is what I needed. I used my pocket knife and a small split as a mallet to get some off another split. I’m guessing the pipe was probably not the cleanest after many failed rookie attempts.
    Two more days and a bunch of good dry elm and I would have had a nice hot cabin.
    I don’t think it ever got any nice long hot fires run through it.
    After talking about it, now I’m wanting to go back with my own wood and try again

17. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    Quite a while ago, we stayed at a resort at Long Beach, Wash and they provided presto logs for the fireplace. Big signs saying burn only the log, nothing else. It was amazing how long it burnt for.

18. Felter

Felter Banned

I don't think so? but I've been wrong before. thanks for asking though. :thumbs:

do you think its political?

Horkn, Backwoods Savage and FatBoy85 like this.
  19. yooperdave

yooperdave

That would be a neat place to stay, glad you enjoyed your time there.

I can think of a few members here that would benefit from a stay there also..... but only if they could keep their mouths shut! :D

20. ironpony

ironpony

well I posted a pic of 3 women, they called out a political figure.

eatonpcat likes this.